The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

On 2/12/2024 at 1:16 PM, The Cowardly One said:

Does anybody else accidentally start to say "In the name of Jesus Christ, amen" after the Pledge of Allegiance?

Lol, frequently

1 hour ago, Lego Mistborn said:

Anybody get scared talking to your stake presidency?

I get nervous when I have to sit down for a "talk" with any authoritative figure lol (bishop, parents, school counselor, etc.). I really hate it when people focus on me in a conversation for some reason . . . plus I always feel like I'm in trouble for something even if I know I haven't done anything wrong lol. It's kinda weird I guess.

Just now, justice magician said:

I get nervous when I have to sit down for a "talk" with any authoritative figure lol (bishop, parents, school counselor, etc.). I really hate it when people focus on me in a conversation for some reason . . . plus I always feel like I'm in trouble for something even if I know I haven't done anything wrong lol. It's kinda weird I guess.

I am the same way with all of this.

49 minutes ago, justice magician said:

I should clarify, I'm not referring to a churchy convo or anything. Let me explain.

My stake is centered around a nationally recognized(esp. for mathematics & adjacent fields) university, and I want to expand my professional contacts(I want to be a professor) and I'm planning to go there. One of the counselors in the stake presidency is a professor there, but I'm scared to go up to him as opposed to other members of the stake.

When I was in high school, I was involved in a theatrical production authored by one of our high councilors, called Abinadi.  (No points for guessing what it was about.)  The role of Abinadi was played by a councilor in the stake presidency.  One day during rehearsals, he was reading one of his lines, and someone in the scene with him made a joke, and he cracked up so hard it took him over a minute to stop laughing.  Finally he took a few deep breaths and said "we're going to need to rewrite that line, because I'm never going to be able to say it with a straight face again."

This really drove home to me that, underneath the mantle of authority, he was just a guy like anyone else.  I've found church leaders a lot less intimidating ever since.

It even works on higher-level leadership.  I heard a talk in sacrament meeting a while back, it went something like this:

Before I retired, I was a salesman at [company.]  My boss flew out to Utah for a conference one time, and wanted to check out the skiing while he was there.  When he got on the ski lift, after a moment the guy next to him turns to him and asks if he's familiar with the church.

"Yes, actually.  I'm a stake president."

"That's good to hear.  So what do you do?"

"I'm a sales manager.  What about you?"

"Oh, I work for the church."

"Yeah?  What's your role?"

The guy grins at him.  "I'm Elder Bednar."

If you met some random guy on a ski lift, would you ever suspect it's someone whose face you really should recognize, when they're not wearing a suit?  But here he was, just out enjoying the slopes, some random guy on a ski lift like anyone else.

3 hours ago, Mason Wheeler said:

It even works on higher-level leadership.  I heard a talk in sacrament meeting a while back, it went something like this:

If you met some random guy on a ski lift, would you ever suspect it's someone whose face you really should recognize, when they're not wearing a suit?  But here he was, just out enjoying the slopes, some random guy on a ski lift like anyone else.

That’s a great story! As a faceblind person I always enjoy stories about other people not being able to recognize someone :)

True that

I didn't get to go to church today because I was sick, but I watched sacrament meeting and my friends mom gave a talk that sounded a lot like Dalinar's story

Isaiah is technically symmetrical, meaning he is "holy" in Vorinism too.

Edited by Lego Mistborn