Awakening a corpse that has been soulcast. (Confirmed by WoB)

Um... If you want an indestructible killing machine then just Soulcast the body into solid carbon. Awaken the body, arm it with Shardblade/plate. Good luck breaking carbon with a hammer.

You might want to specify which allotrope you would like for carbon when soulcasting, otherwise graphite might not give the durability you are expecting......

@Pathfinder: Diamond. Would it be possible to attach a persons 'soul' ( for want of a better word ) to the newly Awakened body? Through the use of Hemalurgy or perhaps Feruchamancy.

Lifeless already retain some degree of their skills and maybe even personality.

Diamond is hard, not necessarily strong.  A hammer would do it in.  If you want durability, you want metal, though I am willing to bit you can't soulcast aluminum.

I thought it was stated that aluminum could ONLY be made via soulcasting?

edit: in the stormlight archive that is

Edited by Pathfinder

I thought it was stated that aluminum could ONLY be made via soulcasting?

edit: in the stormlight archive that is

Yes, the only reason Rosharans have access to aluminum, despite their tech/infrastructure level is because of soulcasting.  So technically Soulcasting is not the *only* way to get aluminum, it is just the only way they have access to at the time.

Yes, the only reason Rosharans have access to aluminum, despite their tech/infrastructure level is because of soulcasting.  So technically Soulcasting is not the *only* way to get aluminum, it is just the only way they have access to at the time.

Do you have attribution for this?

Do you have attribution for this?

Directly? No. I'm infering it from two things: the fact that it is mentioned in Chapter 48 of Words of Radiance that aluminum "can only be made by Soulcasting" (It's when Shallan is trying to pay off her brothers debts) and that prior to more modern processes it was *exceedingly* difficult to obtain/extract aluminum (to the point where Napoleon owned a set of aluminum plates that were worth more than his gold ones).

Thank you. That's an interesting point I had missed when I read the book. Fascinating that aluminum is immune to Investiture on one Shardworld, yet can only be made by Investiture on another. How do you think people on Roshar first discovered aluminum? You must know what it is you're turning something into in order to Soulcast it, yes? So if aluminum didn't exist before the first time someone Soulcast it, how did that person Soulcast it? Did a worldhopper bring the first aluminum, or perhaps a worldhopper used a Soulcaster to make something she knew about from her own world?

• 1 year later...

Aaaand necromancy on this thread...assume you want to retain memories, skill, personality, etc. in a lifeless as well as gain the durability benefits of metal construction and the alomantic resistance of aluminum.

A radiant breathes in a large amount of stormlight and ALLOWS (since otherwise the stormlight would heal them) themselves to be soulcast by some other radiant into STEEL (or your personal favorite metal known for its strength...) then an awakener gives the lifeless command to this statue. This requires FAR less breath than awakening nightblood since the metal statue was quite recently alive as opposed to never having been alive. Now that you have the first two features we were going for, cover the metal awakened radiant with aluminum leaf...or if you find that too thin, aluminum plating.

I'd be curious whether this creature would have access to surgebinding, and also what holes people can poke in my idea for the Rosharan Achilles.

I don't think you can Soulcast some parts of an object into one thing, while leaving the rest untouched / Soulcasting the rest into another. I imagine it would be very difficult even if it were possible, because it would require you to force the Cognitive Aspect of the object to essentially divide itself.

Doesn't seem to be the case.

'The soft blue light reflected against the stone walls, portions of which had been Soulcast into quartz purely for ornamentation' 

Way of Kings Chapter 33 'Cymatics' Page 550

The princess used her Soulcaster infrequently; perhaps she hesitated to use it when Shallan  was around. But Shallan had caught a handful of occasions, mostly wen Jasnah had been distracted, and had apparently forgotten she wasn't alone.

There was also the one of Jasnah burning words after running out of ink. When Shallan had seen her burning letters into a page, she'd been amazed at the Soulcaster's precision.

She could create new mineral deposits for her family to exploit.

Way of Kings Chapter 33 'Cymatics' Pages 551-2

'It is time you stopped wasting your talent,' the figure said, walking to the far wall, resting his hand upon it.

'

'This will cause chaos,' Szeth whispered. 'Infighting. War. Confusion and pain such as the world has rarely known,'

The chained gemstone on the man's pal flashed. The wall vanished, turned to smoke. A Soulcaster.

Way of Kings Interlude 6 page 495

Edited by VindicationKnight

• Chaos locked this topic