What does Brandon mean here

Frustration

I was looking through the arcanum when I saw this

Winds Alight (paraphrased)

In SA the Stormfather refers to several people as "Child of Honor", but only Kaladin as "Child of Tanavast". Is there significance to that?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, there is.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

So I see a few options here

1. Kaladin is Literally Tanavast's child
  2. Kaladin is meant to take up Honor's shard.(Yes I know Everyone is screaming it's Dalinar deal with it)
  3. What do you think.

Maybe it's less direct lineage and more spiritual lineage? Err, not capital-S Spiritual, mind you, just that Kaladin is very honorable by nature, so maybe the Stormfather is just recognizing and acknowledging that, while using Child of Honor in a more general sense to refer to other people

4 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

I never noticed that when I was reading.

If Kal's the only one who is referred to as such, I would assume a direct (many, many, many generations later) descendent.  Maybe the story of the Queen of the Natanatan people and the Moons comes from Tanavast sleeping with a mortal?

I'm pretty sure that this story comes from humans having children with Aimians, the skin changing kind not the bug kind. As for Kaladin's being called child on Tanavast I would assume it has to do with him being the first of the new Windrunners.

11 hours ago, Booknerd said:

Kaladin is meant to take up Honor's shard.(Yes I know Everyone is screaming it's Dalinar deal with it)

I agree that Brandon is probably trolling us there but I think it is a real possibility that kaladin and not dalinar will end up with the shard of honor! The reason I think so is the death rattle: 

He must pick it up, the fallen title. The tower, the crown and the spear. 

However, as far as child of Tanavast is considered!! I really don’t think that stormfather has that level of futuresight to know this and say it to kaladin! 

I feel like the title that Death Rattle is referring to is just 'Knight Radiant'.

But, directly on-topic: I mean, we've met both of Kaladin's parents, and they're both alive and not God, so I think we can rule out the ultra-literal interpretation. But broadly, I really don't know what Brandon could be referring to, and that kind of bothers me. I can't think of any interpretation of this that doesn't bother me. 

In regards to that Death Rattle keep in mind that the Kholin glyphs form a tower and crown so perhaps not referring to Honor.

It could simply be that Kaladin has some weight or presence to him that the Stormfather can sense and so refers to him in a special way. None of the other characters are literal children of Honor after all.

It could also mean that he is more the "figurative" child of Tanavast - that maybe Kaladin is someone who is a lot like Tanavast and holds the same values as he did but is not actually his direct child or descendant.  Like in the "child of the 60's" sense of the phrase.

1 hour ago, scifan said:

What was revealed about Kaladin's mother's lineage?  I remember there being something about her being related in some way to royalty somewhere along the line...

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)
#2 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Play/Pause

Questioner

Are both of Kaladin's maternal... grandparents darkeyes?

Brandon Sanderson

No. Good question. I think you're the first one to pull that out of me...

There's one question, or two questions in [the signing line], that I know are driving your brains crazy, that are not as clear-cut in my answers as you might assume they are. One is about Kaladin's mother

On 12/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, Ripheus23 said:

Maybe Kal is a descendant of Nohadon.

Probably but to my understanding Nohadon doesn't have a relation to Tanavast stronger than being a Raidiant.

Edited by Booknerd

On 12/24/2019 at 8:01 AM, Booknerd said:

Kaladin is Literally Tanavast's child

We know Kaladin's parents, so unless Brandon is going to pull an Immaculate Conception on us, I doubt it's this one. 

Kaladin is meant to take up Honor's shard.(Yes I know Everyone is screaming it's Dalinar deal with it)

Also possible, but then why Tanavast specifically? Saying Son of Honor works fine, as Honor the Shard and Tanavast the person are/were two different things.

What do you think.

Maybe one of the splinters of Honor was forced into a human, or gained sentience and is related to Kaladin in some sort of way. Maybe that was Nohadon and Kaladin is related to Nohadon. Maybe it's Brandon trolling us. Maybe it's something that'll come in play in the second half of the series. But honestly, I have no idea and I LOVE THAT. 

6 hours ago, Booknerd said:

Probably but to my understanding Nohadon doesn't have a relation to Tanavast stronger than being a Raidiant.

That we know of just yet, but there's a LOT about Nohadon we don't know. 

3 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

We know Kaladin's parents, so unless Brandon is going to pull an Immaculate Conception on us, I doubt it's this one. 

Probably I'll give you that one

Also possible, but then why Tanavast specifically? Saying Son of Honor works fine, as Honor the Shard and Tanavast the person are/were two different things.

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree logic, It's a metaphorical meaning as Kaladin is Walking in Tanavasts footsteps.

Maybe it's Brandon trolling us. Maybe it's something that'll come in play in the second half of the series. But honestly, I have no idea and I LOVE THAT. 

Most likely, I also like it makes it more interesting when we find out.

On 12/24/2019 at 1:06 PM, Q10fanatic said:

I wonder if this is a title granted to Windrunners, due to their relationship with honorspren? Or, maybe to the head of the Windrunners?

My only problem with that line of thinking is that Brandon confirmed there is significance in the Stormfather referring to Kaladin as Son of Tanavast, and I feel like it wouldn't be that big of a deal for him to agree to that if it was just because of Kaladin being a Windrunner.

6 minutes ago, Firebolt-101 said:

My only problem with that line of thinking is that Brandon confirmed there is significance in the Stormfather referring to Kaladin as Son of Tanavast, and I feel like it wouldn't be that big of a deal for him to agree to that if it was just because of Kaladin being a Windrunner.

Brandon has a history of trolling or even just answering in very broad terms.

12 hours ago, StormlightNerd said:

Has Stormfather talked to any of the other Windrunners and called them "child of Honour/Tanavast"? Because Tanavast was the Herald of the Windrunners and so it would make sense if he was calling all Windrunners "Children of Tanavast".

That'd be Jezrien. Tanavast is the (former) Vessel of Honor.