What does Brandon mean here

Frustration

I just re-read chapter 31 (I think) in the un-quotable, german version and the dialogue goes something like this:

"Stormfather, listen to me!"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT, SON OF HONOR?"

"There are people down there. You must re-direct the storm!"

(...)

"WHAT ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE THAT DIED IN THE STORMS BEFORE? SHOULD I FEEL SORRY FOR THOSE TOO?"

"Yes"

"SHOULD THE WAVES FEEL SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DROWN IN THEM? SHOULD A FIRE FEEL SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE THAT BURN IN IT?"

"I'm asking you and only this one time, Stormfather. Please! I'm begging you!"

Then the Stormfather hesitates and actually considers Kaladin's pleas for a time.

And then:

"I AM SORRY, THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO, SON OF TANAVAST."

So, the Stormfather calls Kaladin "Son of Honor" as well (unless the translators failed again), but when Kaladin asks him to feel Mercy/spare the people, Stormfather apologises and calls Kaladin "Son of Tanavast". I think if "Son of Tanavast" was a title of the Windrunners or a reference to Kaladin's descent, then Stormfather would have addressed him as such from the beginning. In the actual chapter however, he only does so when he apologises. I can't really conclude why he would Kaladin that way, but it seems to be connected more to the situation or to the request than to Kaladin himself.

On 1/29/2020 at 3:29 AM, bxcnch said:

I just re-read chapter 31 (I think) in the un-quotable, german version and the dialogue goes something like this:

"Stormfather, listen to me!"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT, SON OF HONOR?"

"There are people down there. You must re-direct the storm!"

(...)

"WHAT ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE THAT DIED IN THE STORMS BEFORE? SHOULD I FEEL SORRY FOR THOSE TOO?"

"Yes"

"SHOULD THE WAVES FEEL SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE THAT DROWN IN THEM? SHOULD A FIRE FEEL SORRY FOR THE PEOPLE THAT BURN IN IT?"

"I'm asking you and only this one time, Stormfather. Please! I'm begging you!"

Then the Stormfather hesitates and actually considers Kaladin's pleas for a time.

And then:

"I AM SORRY, THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO, SON OF TANAVAST."

So, the Stormfather calls Kaladin "Son of Honor" as well (unless the translators failed again), but when Kaladin asks him to feel Mercy/spare the people, Stormfather apologises and calls Kaladin "Son of Tanavast". I think if "Son of Tanavast" was a title of the Windrunners or a reference to Kaladin's descent, then Stormfather would have addressed him as such from the beginning. In the actual chapter however, he only does so when he apologises. I can't really conclude why he would Kaladin that way, but it seems to be connected more to the situation or to the request than to Kaladin himself.

In WoK chapter 46 Titled CHILD OF TANAVAST the Stormfather calls Kaladin "CHILD OF TANAVAST. CHILD OF HONOR. CHILD OF ONE LONG SINCE DEPARTED."  Here he says Child of Tanavast first and specifically mentions it three times, there is something here I can feel it.

Edited by Booknerd

• Chaos locked this topic