Renarin learning to read.

TheWadehart

Something, i realized on a reread recently.

Renarin couldn’t control what he saw or when he saw it. He had learned to read so he could understand the numbers and words that appeared under some of the images.

Renarin had to learn to read AFTER he gained the ability to see the future.  Soooo.  WHO was writting the words under the images?

IIRC,  I think there was some question along this line about Dalinars visions as well.

Any ideas?

i think he had had powers a bit before he started writing numbers. we certaainly have no exact indications there (we only know when he didn't need spectacles anymore, which is not the same) so there's some time for him to have learned before he started writing.

a bigger question could be, how did he learn to read in the first place? i doubt he could have asked to any of the ardents, or of the women. there may be some ilustrated books to learn reading, but he would have needed a woman to fetch one for him. navani would have taught him, but she would have recognized his doing in the numbers if she had. jasnah would have gladly taught renarin to read, but she had been away for a long time.

30 minutes ago, TheWadehart said:

Something, i realized on a reread recently.

Renarin had to learn to read AFTER he gained the ability to see the future.  Soooo.  WHO was writting the words under the images?

IIRC,  I think there was some question along this line about Dalinars visions as well.

Any ideas?

I think the words and numbers in the visions just came with the visions, and it didn't matter that he couldn't read them.

Or do you mean the numbers and words he wrote outside of Dalinar's quarters? Those were in glyphs, which everyone can know. And they were unpracticed.

44 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

It is an interesting question though.  Why would SR visions manifest as writing to someone who can't even read?

SR is weird. Maybe, because he'd be able to read in the future, the text just always shows up.

46 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

It is an interesting question though.  Why would SR visions manifest as writing to someone who can't even read?

Hmmm, maybe this indicates that Renarin's visions are set up ahed of time like Dalinar's were. I don't know if there is any basis for this but I can't think on another reason why the vision would use a writing system that the recipient can't understand.  

56 minutes ago, Ookla the Quill said:

Probably the Stormwardens. They had an interest in him, after all, and he was mentioned as having been spending more time near them than previously around the time of the visions.

But the Stormwardens don't know how to read either, they use their own script, specifically because they can't read. 

1 minute ago, Ookla the Stand User said:

Maybe some of them do, but it's likely a closely guarded secret, and they probably wouldn't share it with Renarin. 

Not on their own. But they'd been trying to induct him for quite a while, and if he comes to them asking to learn how to read, they would see that as the way to finally give themselves that Kholin-brand legitimacy they so crave and let him in on the secret.

Isn't it possible Renarin taught himself to read? He's a fairly clever guy, and if you know the basics of how reading is done, you might be able to work it out. Alternatively, he may have had a woman read a book he knew really well or something and then paid attention to where she started each time she turned a page, then reconstruct it in private by separating out the words. It would take a while, but I think it would work.

I honestly missed the fact that he was seeing words and number manifesting independent of the images, Id been assuming he was seeing those words and times as part of the images, pages in peoples hands or clocks-equivalents on walls or something.  So Awesome Queston, @TheWadehart

So the question is how his power was feeding his brain words and numbers before his brain new how to read.  Given how Language can be gained so easily with a Connection, implying that it involved more than learned patterns in Brain Matter, perhaps it's just something that flows from the Truths in the Spiritual Realm the same way Connection can bring spoken Language.  Another possibility is that Glys could read, even if he forgot how when he transitioned to the Physical realm (the way Pattern and Syl forgot things), and since the Surges arise from a Connection/merger between the two of them Glys's involvement was enough for the Surge to translate ideas into those written symbols.  

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Ingeniator said:

Another possibility is that Glys could read, even if he forgot how when he transitioned to the Physical realm (the way Pattern and Syl forgot things), and since the Surges arise from a Connection/merger between the two of them Glys's involvement was enough for the Surge to translate ideas into those written symbols.  

Spren do in fact read.  They enjoy doing so during their leisure time good catch.  Perhaps the visions are presented in a way that is supposed to make sense to Glys or a hybrid of Glys and his human.

How the Connection trick and Language work with Written vs spoken form is something we havent really seen explored but Im curious how it will play out.  For example, if if he used his Connection trick to learn the Language from an Ardent lets say.  Would he have been able to read the language even when he could not read his own native Language.  If not, will he start to get that piece once he learns to read Alethi the old fashion way (as if he needs to establish a Written Langauge sector of his brain before he can Connect it to the Written Language parts of another person.  

That's a side topic entirely, i realize, but could easily see the Nahel Bond providing some similar Connection-based effect between the Radiant and Spren.

• Chaos locked this topic