The new website

I get refreshing the look for a new release, but at least on android mobile the new website is terrible! There is one set of links to the side, with a total of 3 options.  Gone is basically all website functionality, gone are the progress bars, gone is the event schedule. In fact all I can find is the blog, links to the 2 starsight books, the free reading section, and 'what is the cosmere?'. (Oh and, newsletter sign up)

Even in desktop mode on my phone there is nothing.  I did load the website on an actual desktop here at work, and there were more options, so maybe the desktop version of the website is all good - I didn't have time to asses it.

Anyone else have similar thoughts? My actual problem with it is more that it seems broken than any issues with design or artistry.

ok, now that it looks updated i see the same informations of the old site in more or less the same places. there is a bit of extra fancy graphic, which i personally don't like because i always feel fancy graphic (or a nice layout, or anything that makes a document "look good") is an attempt to distract from the content... yeah, i like wall of texts and expositions. i am weird. but i now think that the site has been improved over the old version, at least according to the tastes of the average person

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:24 AM, Ookla Shaka, Ookla, Ookla said:

Put me up as hating the new version. The old one was easier. Is there any way to see progress bars in the new one?

Does it not come up on the page straight away? It's at the right hand side? Haven't tried it on mobile so don't know if that's what you're on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 26.11.2019 at 8:04 PM, CosmereQuestioner said:

I get refreshing the look for a new release, but at least on android mobile the new website is terrible! There is one set of links to the side, with a total of 3 options.  Gone is basically all website functionality, gone are the progress bars, gone is the event schedule. In fact all I can find is the blog, links to the 2 starsight books, the free reading section, and 'what is the cosmere?'. (Oh and, newsletter sign up)

Even in desktop mode on my phone there is nothing.  I did load the website on an actual desktop here at work, and there were more options, so maybe the desktop version of the website is all good - I didn't have time to asses it.

Anyone else have similar thoughts? My actual problem with it is more that it seems broken than any issues with design or artistry.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               A programmer friend of mine recommended me a good design resource, but due to lack of skills, I can't upload some elements to my landing page. Namely icons and fonts https://masterbundles.com/stock-content/vector/quotes-svg/ When loaded to 75%, the scale stops and displays an error on the monitor. It would be good to hear your advice.

it doesn't open for me at all

Edited by JohnyElloy

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2019 at 8:04 PM, CosmereQuestioner said:

Anyone else have similar thoughts? My actual problem with it is more that it seems broken than any issues with design or artistry.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I'd like to add vector images in there. And I think tree roots will look good. What do you think?

That's a great idea!

Edited by Shawn Malpass

19 hours ago, Ookla the Black Sock said:

wow

The site must've been a lot different back then.

Specifically they re talking about The Author's homepage change back in 2019. I still prefer the old site. . . if for no other reason than search actually found things, and returned actual results rather than stupid tiles that only might be relevant.

6 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Specifically they re talking about The Author's homepage change back in 2019. I still prefer the old site. . . if for no other reason than search actually found things, and returned actual results rather than stupid tiles that only might be relevant.

ahhh.

I didn't realize it ever looked different, but I mean that makes sense now that I think about it.

14 minutes ago, Ookla the Black Sock said:

ahhh.

I didn't realize it ever looked different, but I mean that makes sense now that I think about it.

Yeah, it was great. The colors and fonts always changed to match the most recent release. Everything was easy to find. I, too, am much more of a "function over form" kinda person, but the old site was not very mobile friendly because it was too old. I do wish they could have updated the back end without making the skin look so cheesey.

Examples from WBM (Wayback Machine):

Spoiler

BSCom_Old.thumb.jpg.90eabfe9d68876b1296f2dbfc04bc348.jpg