Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

12 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I did cheat though, first pen of the year: Lotus Pens made me a nice Ultem eyedropper like a PenBBS 491. So now I don't have to fear stains or cracking :D 

Ooh, that sounds lovely. I just took a look and that shape of pen is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

On 1/18/2024 at 6:41 PM, Cyclops said:

I've not used any bank paper before, but I have some stashed in a couple of wishlists.

On another note, the gift my folks don't know they got me turned out not to be another pen, but instead another bottle of Noodler's X-Feather Black, to replace the one about to empty, and a couple of intra-bottle inkwells, and a box of aftermarket nibs that will fit my Pilot Metropolitan.  I bumped the nib on my Silver Python against my desk, and no amount of 12,000-grit work seems to help.  The reviews on the aftermarket nibs were extremely favorable.

I spoke too soon about those aftermarket nibs.  Even with some 12,000-grit work, ain't a one of them worth a flip.  And because of the "customization" I did on them, they're unreturnable.  There's no way I'd send them to a nibmiester for work because that would cost far more than these stoopid nibs are worth.  So I spent an additional $18+ for three EF Pilot Penmanships for the nibs.

Should'a done that to begin with, I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

I spoke too soon about those aftermarket nibs.  Even with some 12,000-grit work, ain't a one of them worth a flip.  And because of the "customization" I did on them, they're unreturnable.  There's no way I'd send them to a nibmiester for work because that would cost far more than these stoopid nibs are worth.  So I spent an additional $18+ for three EF Pilot Penmanships for the nibs.

Should'a done that to begin with, I reckon.

Were those by any chance Wingsung nibs? Because that really sounds like the primary source of nibs for a Pilot met/78G+.

3 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Were those by any chance Wingsung nibs? Because that really sounds like the primary source of nibs for a Pilot met/78G+.

Yes, they're Wingsung nibs.  All the reviews spoke very highly of them.  Either those were plants, or I got a bad batch.  Either way, I'm out that money.

20 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

Yes, they're Wingsung nibs.  All the reviews spoke very highly of them.  Either those were plants, or I got a bad batch.  Either way, I'm out that money.

Yeah, sorry to hear. Wingsung nibs are generally alright but in all honesty, Chinese nibs are a Russian roulette and I say that as someone who uses a lot of Chinese pens. Might be an alignment issue, might not be (Chinese pens are not normally feedbacky), but going for the penmanship here is the good move for sure.

Edited by Kasimir

6 hours ago, Cyclops said:

That's a shame.  I'm thinking plants, though… I have a number of WS piston (and other) pens with the Pilot-look nibs.  None are scratchy.  

On 2/6/2024 at 10:03 AM, Coolmint said:

That's a shame.  I'm thinking plants, though… I have a number of WS piston (and other) pens with the Pilot-look nibs.  None are scratchy.  

Well, after further review and work, I have determined that I am a stoopie and an idjit.

Several times when I swapped nibs, I rechecked the cartridge to make sure there was still ink in it.  It showed about 3/8 of an inch of ink in the bottom.  But none of the nibs --not a single one, not even the EF from the Pilot Penmanship I ordered-- wrote worth a flip.  I looked at the cartridge yet again tonight.  It showed the same as before.  But on a hunch I took a blunt syringe and refilled with my Noodler's Bad Black Moccasin, reinstalled the cartridge, and guess what?  It started writing.  So I put the EF back in the Penmanship, put an aftermarket WS in the Silver Python, and away she wrote.

I repeat, I am a stoopie and an idjit.

But now I know to NEVER, EVER trust a cartridge to tell me the truth again.

Thank you, that is all...

3 hours ago, Cyclops said:

Well, after further review and work, I have determined that I am a stoopie and an idjit.

Several times when I swapped nibs, I rechecked the cartridge to make sure there was still ink in it.  It showed about 3/8 of an inch of ink in the bottom.  But none of the nibs --not a single one, not even the EF from the Pilot Penmanship I ordered-- wrote worth a flip.  I looked at the cartridge yet again tonight.  It showed the same as before.  But on a hunch I took a blunt syringe and refilled with my Noodler's Bad Black Moccasin, reinstalled the cartridge, and guess what?  It started writing.  So I put the EF back in the Penmanship, put an aftermarket WS in the Silver Python, and away she wrote.

I repeat, I am a stoopie and an idjit.

But now I know to NEVER, EVER trust a cartridge to tell me the truth again.

Thank you, that is all...

Well, a slightly expensive lesson but I'm glad it worked out in the end!

• 4 weeks later...

I wound up having to order a replacement nib for my Jinhao 6016 because the factory nib kept canting to the left when I would write.  I had asked others in a flakebook pen group I'm in about it, but apparently I'm the only one who's had that problem.  And I couldn't find anyone else on the internet that's experienced it.  I am apparently very gifted in that department.

Anyway, the replacement was actually a 3-pack of nib/feed sets.  Installed the first one; no go, it was way too scratchy.  Rather than use the 12,000-grit on it, I just switched it out for another.  Second nib works.

3-pack was only @$16.  But they took so long to arrive that I forgot about them, and then wondered what the seemingly rolled-up wad of bubble wrap was that came in the mail today.

If I had a brain I'd be dangerous.

On 3/9/2024 at 8:01 AM, Cyclops said:

3-pack was only @$16.  But they took so long to arrive that I forgot about them, and then wondered what the seemingly rolled-up wad of bubble wrap was that came in the mail today.

Chinese shipping do tend to be like that :P Nice to not need to regrind it now though!

8 minutes ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

About a year ago I got a LAMY from a closing office supply store known for their fountain pens. Definitely worth it.

Oh, which one? 👀 

2 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

I do, but the nib is borked, remember? :P 

Ah sorry, thought you mentioned getting it fixed! :P Though tbh Sailor feedback is a golden medium for me. I've heard legends of the Plat UEF feedback but I tried it once at a pen meet and immediately gave it back.

10 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Ah sorry, thought you mentioned getting it fixed! :P Though tbh Sailor feedback is a golden medium for me. I've heard legends of the Plat UEF feedback but I tried it once at a pen meet and immediately gave it back.

Alas, I only mentioned wanting to get it fixed. The only thing stopping me at this point is the hassle of shipping and the distance of pen shows.

I've always wanted to try a UEF nib, but I don't think I'd ever want to own one. My fine nib is just perfect; I can't imagine going smaller.

3 hours ago, Coolmint said:

I have a Platinum SF which needs such a light touch I almost can't handle it.

Because it's so scratchy? How soft is the nib actually, or does it not matter since you're writing so lightly anyways?

Ok hi, I don’t belong here at all but I’ve wanted to get into fountain pens for a while…except I have horrible handwriting. Do you guys have any tips for improving handwriting?

4 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Ok hi, I don’t belong here at all but I’ve wanted to get into fountain pens for a while…except I have horrible handwriting. Do you guys have any tips for improving handwriting?

I'd say you don't really need good handwriting for fountain pens. I've seen people with awful handwriting in r/fountainpens and some of the local pen groups :P 

I'll leave it to someone with better handwriting to offer tips here. The most I've seen in my local pen groups is a lot of practice shaping letters and then words in the style you like. Some of them fill whole exercise books - the idea is to do it slow and get it right and then do it more. 

9 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Alas, I only mentioned wanting to get it fixed. The only thing stopping me at this point is the hassle of shipping and the distance of pen shows.

Fair :P

9 hours ago, Slowswift said:

I've always wanted to try a UEF nib, but I don't think I'd ever want to own one. My fine nib is just perfect; I can't imagine going smaller.

My friends accuse me of being a pretender because I love broad nibs but my handwriting is so small it ruins the point of going broad :P

13 hours ago, Coolmint said:

I have a Platinum SF which needs such a light touch I almost can't handle it.

God created Plat soft and elastic nibs to train the faithful 😔