Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

18 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I missed the second part :P The fair yeah was a response to the Realo. Otherwise in general my view of the Kakari is I'd like to try it but metallic pens aren't my jam admittedly. (I guess I've thought about it more since my last post?)

Reasonable :P There was a beautiful starry one from Bungubox that had my eye but did not want a Realo.

Monoc and Estie sound great tbh. The Monoc looks really good, but as you said, sticker shock!

Edited to add:

I really need to reduce pen boxes :( 

Oh, my bad!

That one's lovely! I saw a nice amber one too, but it's going for about the same as a new one, and I'm not sure it'll still be around in a couple months. (Also it's not available in M, which is what I'd like.)

I actually have the adapter and a vintage nib already, so really the Estie should be top priority for me. :P 

I probably should too, tbh. If only the box didn't matter so much for reselling.

8 hours ago, Coolmint said:

Woe is me: I have my eye on a $50-60 brass DIP nib.  I don't even spend that much on a complete fountain pen these days.

It goes from hairline to paintbrush, and I will use the nib for writing with glitter inks.  

What kind? I've been looking at the Kakimori one, if not for myself then as a gift.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Anyone get any goodies for Christmas? I got a TWSBI Kai and a bottle of Writer's Blood. :D The fine nib is true to size, which means the color doesn't come through in photos as well (not that I didn't try; see my status updates for a writing sample), but it's a great writer.

My folks will have bought me a pen, but I don't which kind yet, and they don't know it.  Yet.

On 12/30/2023 at 12:39 AM, Slowswift said:

Anyone get any goodies for Christmas? I got a TWSBI Kai and a bottle of Writer's Blood. :D The fine nib is true to size, which means the color doesn't come through in photos as well (not that I didn't try; see my status updates for a writing sample), but it's a great writer.

Nice! I didn't, I got tea for Christmas, which is what I wanted so I'm pleased :P I did buy myself a new Kakuno but that's largely because they're so useful and I had an expiring voucher for the store (thought of getting pen flush but didn't know how long it could keep.)

17 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Nice! I didn't, I got tea for Christmas, which is what I wanted so I'm pleased :P I did buy myself a new Kakuno but that's largely because they're so useful and I had an expiring voucher for the store (thought of getting pen flush but didn't know how long it could keep.)

I've got a "recipe" for a homemade pen flush that I got from someone else.  I've used it, and it works well for me.  Lasts a lot longer than store-bought flush.

18 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I have two Kakunos, both Fine, one smoke and orange, the other solid smoke (or whatever the color is called).

Just now, Cyclops said:

I've got a "recipe" for a homemade pen flush that I got from someone else.  I've used it, and it works well for me.  Lasts a lot longer than store-bought flush.

I'm aware of the recipes but I can't legally* get household ammonia here. It's in some floor cleaners, yes, but those are already mixed up.

*There are a few potentially legal sources but they're all online and B2B, and if they weren't, I'm not paying $500 for a huge tub of ammonia - that's way more pen flush than I'd ever need in my entire life.

18 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I'm aware of the recipes but I can't legally* get household ammonia here. It's in some floor cleaners, yes, but those are already mixed up.

*There are a few potentially legal sources but they're all online and B2B, and if they weren't, I'm not paying $500 for a huge tub of ammonia - that's way more pen flush than I'd ever need in my entire life.

Ah, okay.

23 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

I have two Kakunos, both Fine, one smoke and orange, the other solid smoke (or whatever the color is called).

Huh, didn't see this. Forum merge strikes again, I'd bet.

Anyway, is the weight too light for you? I remember you use a Metro for weight, but imagine F nibs are the right sort of fine for you.

36 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Huh, didn't see this. Forum merge strikes again, I'd bet.

Anyway, is the weight too light for you? I remember you use a Metro for weight, but imagine F nibs are the right sort of fine for you.

Yes, I like the Pilot Fine nibs.  But I've not tried an EF.  Yet, anyway.

20 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Expiring store vouchers are exactly why I have a bottle of Sailor Utah winging its way to me right now. :P Glad you got what you wanted!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here tried bank paper? I just got some with a JetPens order last week, along with some other supplies, and was surprised at how much I enjoy it.

The other supplies were Platinum blue-black cartridges, some actual, proper, usable silicone grease, and a Pilot Juice Up to get me over the threshold for free shipping. :P (It's a fantastic pen, btw)

3 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Has anyone here tried bank paper? I just got some with a JetPens order last week, along with some other supplies, and was surprised at how much I enjoy it.

The other supplies were Platinum blue-black cartridges, some actual, proper, usable silicone grease, and a Pilot Juice Up to get me over the threshold for free shipping. :P (It's a fantastic pen, btw)

I've not used any bank paper before, but I have some stashed in a couple of wishlists.

On another note, the gift my folks don't know they got me turned out not to be another pen, but instead another bottle of Noodler's X-Feather Black, to replace the one about to empty, and a couple of intra-bottle inkwells, and a box of aftermarket nibs that will fit my Pilot Metropolitan.  I bumped the nib on my Silver Python against my desk, and no amount of 12,000-grit work seems to help.  The reviews on the aftermarket nibs were extremely favorable.

On 1/18/2024 at 4:41 PM, Cyclops said:

I've not used any bank paper before, but I have some stashed in a couple of wishlists.

On another note, the gift my folks don't know they got me turned out not to be another pen, but instead another bottle of Noodler's X-Feather Black, to replace the one about to empty, and a couple of intra-bottle inkwells, and a box of aftermarket nibs that will fit my Pilot Metropolitan.  I bumped the nib on my Silver Python against my desk, and no amount of 12,000-grit work seems to help.  The reviews on the aftermarket nibs were extremely favorable.

Are they Pilot branded nibs, or others that happen to fit? I'm curious to see your experience with them. My Metro is a very picky writer in general, and I'm debating whether to try and save it or just let it move on.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:22 AM, Coolmint said:

I think there was some Bank paper in a Jetpens paper sampler…don't they warn it's not intended for fountain pens?

Tried it anyway.  🤣

I dunno about that--Life Bank Paper, the kind I got and favorably reviewed by the Pen Addict and the Gentleman Stationer, handles them nearly on par with Tomoe River, whether it's intended or not. :P 

12 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Are they Pilot branded nibs, or others that happen to fit? I'm curious to see your experience with them. My Metro is a very picky writer in general, and I'm debating whether to try and save it or just let it move on.

I dunno about that--Life Bank Paper, the kind I got and favorably reviewed by the Pen Addict and the Gentleman Stationer, handles them nearly on par with Tomoe River, whether it's intended or not. :P 

They're not Pilot brand.  I read the reviews, and they all said that the nibs are a perfect fit for the Metropolitans.  That's the only reason I ordered them.  They're supposed to arrive within the next week or so.

3 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

They're not Pilot brand.  I read the reviews, and they all said that the nibs are a perfect fit for the Metropolitans.  That's the only reason I ordered them.  They're supposed to arrive within the next week or so.

Gotcha. Keep us posted!

6 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Gotcha. Keep us posted!

Will do

On 1/19/2024 at 9:22 AM, Coolmint said:

I think there was some Bank paper in a Jetpens paper sampler…don't they warn it's not intended for fountain pens?

Tried it anyway.  🤣

I found this that's apparently intended for fountain pens, and also intended for those who are not "financially challenged".

https://thepapermind.com/products/mitsubishi-bank-paper-notebook#:~:text=Why it's special%3A,stitched binding to maximize comfort

On 1/18/2024 at 3:31 PM, Slowswift said:

https://thepapermind.com/products/mitsubishi-bank-paper-notebook#:~:text=Why it's special%3A,stitched binding to maximize comfort

This is made for those who are not money-impaired.

On 1/20/2024 at 4:40 PM, Slowswift said:

Gotcha. Keep us posted!

The replacement nibs run a little big, and I'm also going to have to run it across some 12,000-grit to lessen the feedback.  Otherwise, it works great.

20240126_141408.jpg

On 1/26/2024 at 12:47 PM, Cyclops said:

The replacement nibs run a little big, and I'm also going to have to run it across some 12,000-grit to lessen the feedback.  Otherwise, it works great.

20240126_141408.jpg

Looks like a successful match. Good luck with the tuning!

On 1/19/2024 at 4:31 AM, Slowswift said:

I wanted to, but couldn't justify the cost :P Glad you really enjoy it though, sounds like a fun buy!

On 1/19/2024 at 4:31 AM, Slowswift said:

😱

Heretic!

j/k, I love my Pilot Super Gel collection. They don't sell them anymore but I have maybe twenty or so left as I used them frequently in uni and would always buy a box right before an exam.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:41 AM, Cyclops said:

Oh, nice! Still an excellent set of gifts. Looks like the replacement nibs work fine too! All the best tuning them!

16 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I wanted to, but couldn't justify the cost :P Glad you really enjoy it though, sounds like a fun buy!

It's funny--the first place I checked was the Gentleman Stationer's store, as his review helped convince me to try it, but then I checked JetPens where it was literally half the price. So, that was a no-brainer at least. (I'd like to get some in a notebook someday, but that is more expensive than a pad and I have plenty other notebooks to use first. :P)

16 hours ago, Kasimir said:

😱

Heretic!

j/k, I love my Pilot Super Gel collection. They don't sell them anymore but I have maybe twenty or so left as I used them frequently in uni and would always buy a box right before an exam.

:D

I mostly tried it 'cause I needed a Pilot G2-size refill for another pen, but didn't want to use the actual G2. I'd heard good things about the Juice Up, and it had been a while since I tried an ultra-fine gel pen.

10 hours ago, Slowswift said:

It's funny--the first place I checked was the Gentleman Stationer's store, as his review helped convince me to try it, but then I checked JetPens where it was literally half the price. So, that was a no-brainer at least. (I'd like to get some in a notebook someday, but that is more expensive than a pad and I have plenty other notebooks to use first. :P)

Oh fair, Musubi is in my country and their bank paper option is insane. Maybe one day if I really want to treat myself but I need to finish my notebooks and stuff first :P

10 hours ago, Slowswift said:

I mostly tried it 'cause I needed a Pilot G2-size refill for another pen, but didn't want to use the actual G2. I'd heard good things about the Juice Up, and it had been a while since I tried an ultra-fine gel pen.

Explains it :P

I did cheat though, first pen of the year: Lotus Pens made me a nice Ultem eyedropper like a PenBBS 491. So now I don't have to fear stains or cracking :D