Any Fountain Pen Writers?

Kasimir

43 minutes ago, Coolmint said:

But I also went on a pen and ink giveaway rampage.  So far I have maybe a dozen pens and as many inks/cartridges.  They will have to be sorted of course, and probably sent in two packages to whomever, or two whomevers.

I am so close to being able to do this myself. I can't wait. (I'm thinking of putting them up on this thread for first dibs, if anyone's interested!)

40 minutes ago, Coolmint said:

Siiighhhhh....yes, I am keeping the Platinum.  Once loaded and given a light touch, it's all right.

In other news, cleaning a Jinhao 992 of orange ink has already taken three days.

If it's anything like the fine on mine, I completely understand. It took me a while to really fall in love with that nib.

I have a bottle of Montblanc Lucky Orange. I've yet to use it more than once because it's the biggest nib crud offender in my entire collection. Which is a shame; it's a lovely color.

1 hour ago, Coolmint said:

Siiighhhhh....yes, I am keeping the Platinum.  Once loaded and given a light touch, it's all right.

51 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

If it's anything like the fine on mine, I completely understand. It took me a while to really fall in love with that nib.

Me, but with my Platinum coarse nib... 

1 hour ago, Coolmint said:

But I also went on a pen and ink giveaway rampage.  So far I have maybe a dozen pens and as many inks/cartridges.  They will have to be sorted of course, and probably sent in two packages to whomever, or two whomevers.

Oh, nice! KonMarieing for the ones you really like and beaters is good IMO.

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

I have a bottle of Montblanc Lucky Orange. I've yet to use it more than once because it's the biggest nib crud offender in my entire collection. Which is a shame; it's a lovely color.

Heard that orange-red inks are really prone to this. Diamine Ancient Copper, I'm looking right at you... >>

Finally solved the problem of the leaking PENBBS pen for good. Turns out it wasn't just cracked - the o-ring was dysfunctional. I unscrewed the nib unit to see if there was anything weird about the placement and noticed the o-ring was riding pretty low on the nib unit and went "hey that's weird, I'd put it right beneath the lip of the housing." Redid it, unscrewed again, welp, o-ring slipped again. I replaced it with a new o-ring and suddenly zero leaks. Pretty sure that's grounds enough to just consider it an o-ring failure issue!

Edited by Kasimir

8 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Finally solved the problem of the leaking PENBBS pen for good. Turns out it wasn't just cracked - the o-ring was dysfunctional. I unscrewed the nib unit to see if there was anything weird about the placement and noticed the o-ring was riding pretty low on the nib unit and went "hey that's weird, I'd put it right beneath the lip of the housing." Redid it, unscrewed again, welp, o-ring slipped again. I replaced it with a new o-ring and suddenly zero leaks. Pretty sure that's grounds enough to just consider it an o-ring failure issue!

Yay!  

I now have upward of 20 pens, some inks, and a notebook in my Pen PIF.   Still also working that orange ink out of a Jinhao 992.

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2023 at 2:47 AM, Coolmint said:

Stay strong, @Kasimir!

Something funny:  I thought about lubing the piston of my Reform calligraphy pen.  Looked on teh innerwebz for guidelines.  What did I find?  This very thread.  Saying I had successfully managed the job.  

But I never said HOW.  :lol:

What's the issue with it? Could it be done like a Pel?

• 2 weeks later...

Everything iz differenty!  How I make font bigger?

Went to 5 Below again, picked up two packs of all-but-disposable fountain pens.  They feel cheeeeep.  But they write, more or less.  One pack comes with a highlighter on the other end.  Some of the nibs are misaligned.  

But they are good for experiments.

18 hours ago, Slowswift said:

It screws in to the end of a syringe in place of a needle, and the other end is perfectly fitted to x brand housing. Much more efficient (and hygienic!) than a bulb flusher. :D 

Oh hell that's useful! Now to close the tab... >>

Anyone knows if it's a problem if a nib can't be fully seated in the section? It juts out by just a little. In theory it should be able to, but I spent over an hour trying to fix the nib and it's not going in all the way. There's clearance in the cap, so it's not causing any problems, but I'm worried anyway.

And no I didn't take it apart on a lark - the nib either was badly sprung or badly aligned, as the tines were consistently bent and so I wanted to check if there was debris between the nib and feed and that required stripping.

2 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Anyone knows if it's a problem if a nib can't be fully seated in the section? It juts out by just a little. In theory it should be able to, but I spent over an hour trying to fix the nib and it's not going in all the way. There's clearance in the cap, so it's not causing any problems, but I'm worried anyway.

And no I didn't take it apart on a lark - the nib either was badly sprung or badly aligned, as the tines were consistently bent and so I wanted to check if there was debris between the nib and feed and that required stripping.

What pen are we talking about?  Was it expensive?  Does it write now?

9 hours ago, Coolmint said:

What pen are we talking about?  Was it expensive?  Does it write now?

Platinum, to me yes, and yes. I could take it back to the store and ask them to reseat it as I suspect them swapping the nib was what started the problem to begin with, but I just dislike taking nibs out for no reason. I'm just not sure if the failure to seat fully will be bad for the pen.

10 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Platinum, to me yes, and yes. I could take it back to the store and ask them to reseat it as I suspect them swapping the nib was what started the problem to begin with, but I just dislike taking nibs out for no reason. I'm just not sure if the failure to seat fully will be bad for the pen.

If it was me, taking it back is what I would do.  The nib AND feed popped out of my first Platinum 3776, and I panicked until it slid back in.  No problems since.  

But since it is clear there were problems from the start with your pen, I'd say let the store deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 9:25 PM, Coolmint said:

If it was me, taking it back is what I would do.  The nib AND feed popped out of my first Platinum 3776, and I panicked until it slid back in.  No problems since.  

But since it is clear there were problems from the start with your pen, I'd say let the store deal with it.

Thank you! Followed your advice, and they helped me out. Works perfectly now and saved me much stress :P 

Anyone blatantly closing tabs this Friday? :ph34r: