Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

On 3/16/2024 at 5:01 PM, The Stormfather said:

Adolin = Crem stained Highstorm-eaten storming garbage.

631st POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But Adolin is such a Good Boy!!!

He's one of my favorite cosmere characters, why do you dislike him?

• 2 weeks later...

Unpopular Opinions. . . 

. . . Too many "streams." 

It used to be that each communication (blog, newsletter, Q&A or stream) was special. Now, it just seems like there are too many to keep track of, and no way to know what is safe and what is spoilery - not to mention the lack of text-based transcripts for the video events (which effectively says "if you can't stream, we don't care about keeping you informed").

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

Unpopular Opinions. . . 

. . . Too many "streams." 

It used to be that each communication (blog, newsletter, Q&A or stream) was special. Now, it just seems like there are too many to keep track of, and no way to know what is safe and what is spoilery - not to mention the lack of text-based transcripts for the video events (which effectively says "if you can't stream, we don't care about keeping you informed").

Spoiler

Me, who has never watched an announcement stream, read a newsletter, or Q&A in my life, and gets all my info through the grapevine that is the Shard: 👍😅

It does sound frustrating, having to track everything down. Especially if different announcements are shared in different places, and you don't have access to some. I guess my thought is, if it's important I'll hear about it eventually lol.

I can understand wanting to be better informed though.

1 minute ago, justice magician said:

It does sound frustrating, having to track everything down. Especially if different announcements are shared in different places, and you don't have access to some. I guess my thought is, if it's important I'll hear about it eventually lol.

I can understand wanting to be better informed though.

It's not so much about wanting to be "better informed" (I do think there are too many "streams") as it is that information should have more than one vehicle, and should be up-front about if the content is spoilery or not. 

In my "happy place" there would be less total "announcements" but each would have multiple methods of access to reach a greater audience per item. . .

1 minute ago, Treamayne said:

It's not so much about wanting to be "better informed" (I do think there are too many "streams") as it is that information should have more than one vehicle, and should be up-front about if the content is spoilery or not. 

In my "happy place" there would be less total "announcements" but each would have multiple methods of access to reach a greater audience per item. . .

Ah, I see. I'll agree that that does seem overly complicated. Perhaps they'll streamline the system in the future? It seems odd they wouldn't mention spoilers at all, seeing as the majority (but not all) of the branderfans I see online haven't read everything yet.

2 minutes ago, justice magician said:

Ah, I see. I'll agree that that does seem overly complicated. Perhaps they'll streamline the system in the future? It seems odd they wouldn't mention spoilers at all, seeing as the majority (but not all) of the branderfans I see online haven't read everything yet.

Not only that, but some of us are avoiding preview material (SA5 previews/SP5 previews) because we do not want spoilers before publication. It makes me very wary of checking out any communications, just in case. 

1 minute ago, Treamayne said:

Not only that, but some of us are avoiding preview material (SA5 previews/SP5 previews) because we do not want spoilers before publication. It makes me very wary of checking out any communications, just in case. 

True true, I've avoided reading what's out for SA5 entirely, just because I know I'd rather read it with the whole book. You'd think he'd put warnings up for that sort of stuff.

5 hours ago, justice magician said:

True true, I've avoided reading what's out for SA5 entirely, just because I know I'd rather read it with the whole book. You'd think he'd put warnings up for that sort of stuff.

I feel like he does though. All the videos and streams are clearly labeled if that's the topic and if he's going to read something spoilery he gives warning at that point in the video (or speech at the con) so you can bail out then.

Not to mention all the readings and wobs do end up transcribed, either via Brandon and staff or the Arcanum.

I can get feeling like there are too many streams, though people like me would absolutely prefer more. It certainly could feel overwhelming to people.