Book 2 speculation *Spoilers*

Aranfan

Okay, I now understand all the parts of your post (I think :)), but now I'm just confused on how they fit together. I bet basically anyone else could look at it and be like "oh yeah, that totally makes sense" but I can't because of the way I think :(. Everything has to be spelled out exactly, or nothing can be spelled out exactly, otherwise I just get lost ;)

Kaladin could keep the plate and give Moash the sword (he said that he came to the plains for a sword). And a big, heavy spear could be made for Kaladin for while he's in his Plate.

Or he could give the Plate and Blade to Rock (Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor is an awesome name and a great password :D) who goes back to his home and becomes King and a major ally (although I'm not sure whether or not Rock would actually take it and/or use it - he did after all refuse to fight before, do we know what happens to his master?)

Also, can anyone tell me what page its mentioned that Kaladin has told Sigzil he's now a Worldsinger? I really can't remember it.

I think Shallan needs to give her Shardblade up, possibly to Dalinar. She's certainly not a warrior, and fighting is a masculine art. Also, she doesn't really need it to defend herself if Jasnah teaches her how to Soulcast.

Ooooh! Brain crack idea! So, assuming that Shallan can't Soulcast from a distance like Jasnah (because they're probably different orders) she needs to touch people in order to Soulcast them. So while they're on the boat with Szeth, he teaches her that martial art form that he uses to lash people. There are soooooo many problems with that theory, but I don't even care. This thread is cracky enough for it!

Haha that could happen!

Just like how my grandmother taught me to post on forums.

Just kidding.

Why would he give away his most potent technique to some passing (plainlooking) girl with red hair who just so happened to ask for it in order to Soulcast absolutely anything she ever disliked?

He wouldn't. He's too cool respectable.

Don't worry, this post is just a laugh (I'm not having a go because I realise your post is actually serious either).

Pfffftttt.. Szeth is totally the Badass Grandpa Ezio training up an entire brotherhood of Shalla-assassins! Because the Templar Hierocracy will rise again!

Wow. I feel really bad now for calling Szeth a grandpa. The poor guy's like 35. But hey, it's better than being called a child all the time, right Szeth?

I think Shallan will draw her Blade in the first chapter. It was forshadowed enough to be shown, but didn't appear in WoK, I think the most resonable explanation is that it will be used very early in book 2.

Also, she giving it up... it may be necessary, because Shardblades are bad, of Odium etc., but I don't like the idea of giving it up, because she's a girl and Dalinar is a warrior. That's quite stereotypical. Shallan is a person very unlikely to use the Blade — that's why she should have it.

I can't explain it very well, but on Writing Excuses they said something about an interesting character not being the one that fits his/her role perfectly, but the one that seems not to fit the role.

Wild, wild idea: Dalinar dies (probably killed by Szeth). In book5 (or 4, or 3) he returns as some weird, powerful being (like Heralds) and does what Honor told him to do. I like Dalinar, but I also like surprises.

No, wait, that would be too depressing for Navani. :/

Edited by Eri

It needs to be pointed out that, while not exactly or technically gay (since they are obviously saying, "no homo" and hitting the other guy on the shoulder after), many times when you have a large group of men just chilling with no women available, they often "relieve" themselves with each other.

It technically isn't gay, since they aren't making out and cuddling afterwards. It is either have sex with your "bunk" mate (pun intended, even if no pun exists) or masturbate. I don't know about you, but I'll rather masturbate or if the guy is bigger than me and threatening to kill me, then I'll probably accept the rape while crying. Maybe. No, I definitely would be too cowardly to accept death, because my corpse probably would be violated anyway.

I don't know what you think "gay" means and why it requires "cuddling" (when heterosexuality does not) but if two men have consensual carnal relations, that's gay.

It's not bad. Far from it. But it's gay.

However, whether or not you would submit, under threat of violence or death, to an unwanted homosexual act, means nothing in regards to your sexuality.

Sorry, feel like between my K/A shipping (which I knew full well would gain no traction here so I should have given it a wide berth) and my post in that "Is Arangar Homosexual?" thread that I've become the "gay poster."

Stopping now.

Everyone go back to what you were doing a month ago.

I don't think Shallan and Kaladin are going to be a "thing" (I like the idea of Shallan/Renarin) though they might eventually become friends. I also think that she will find out about Syl when she does a drawing of Kaladin. Syl will show up like the symbolspren do.

@Wisdom

Also I feel it would be detrimental to Kaladin as he would be giving in to his hate for Amaran

I saw no one really talked about that part of your post, and I just have to. Are you suggesting that Kaladin may turn to the dark side? :lol:

Kidding aside, I think it would be kind of cool if voidbringers were not a certain monsterous species or amalgamation of such that did the bidding of Odium, but they were actually ANYONE. Even radiants could be turned to being voidbringers or voidbinders if all it takes is a little push into being a servant of Odium, i.e. giving into one's basest desires of anger and revenge. And Kaladin giving into those basest desires toward Amaram or any lighteyes in general would be a major plot for him to be seduced into serving Odium. Although probably not.

I like Shallan/Hoid. Yes, the age difference is creepy, but their personalities are a perfect match.

And maybe Jasnah/Renarin.

Jasnah and Renarin are cousins, and I suspect subject to the Westermarck effect.

Sorry, feel like between my K/A shipping (which I knew full well would gain no traction here so I should have given it a wide berth) and my post in that "Is Arangar Homosexual?" thread that I've become the "gay poster."

Kaladin/Arangar? That's a little left field, isn't it?

I rather suspect Syl wouldn't approve of her. The whole Mad Bioengineer in thrall to an imprisoned god of lying with extra evil bit. Though "No one walks so deep in the Shadow that they cannot return to the Light."

Jasnah and Renarin are cousins, and I suspect subject to the Westermarck effect.

Kaladin/Arangar? That's a little left field, isn't it?

I rather suspect Syl wouldn't approve of her. The whole Mad Bioengineer in thrall to an imprisoned god of lying with extra evil bit. Though "No one walks so deep in the Shadow that they cannot return to the Light."

Westermarck effect has more to do with how closely together they were raised than actual biological relation. It might apply here, but I think they're too disparate in age to have grown up together. I'm not a fan of that pairing though, I'm sticking with an Adolin/Shallan/Renarin love triangle until further characterization occurs.

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood the "K/A" thing intentionally, but I'm not sure, and your response was amusing. Except for one thing, the mad bioengineer was Aginor, who was revived as Osangar. Balthamel was the one resurrected as Arangar (a woman) and he'd always had a penchant for physical pleasures. Alliteration!

Kaladin's asexuality made me ship Kaladin/Syl....well, at least half-seriously.

It would either never work, or work beautifully. But we don't understand spren that well yet, so *shrug*.

However, considering how much more sentience she shows compared to any other common spren, the possibility for feelings of some sort can be there. (And to be honest, I was totally comparing Kaladin/Syl to Peter Pan/Tink in my head for a moment).

Kaladin's asexuality made me ship Kaladin/Syl....well, at least half-seriously.

It would either never work, or work beautifully. But we don't understand spren that well yet, so *shrug*.

However, considering how much more sentience she shows compared to any other common spren, the possibility for feelings of some sort can be there. (And to be honest, I was totally comparing Kaladin/Syl to Peter Pan/Tink in my head for a moment).

That would be equal parts ballsy, transhuman, and abstract enough that it wouldn't cause an outrage.

I'd christen that ship.

Something i do not agree with is Syl disliking all shards. she says that she disliked Dalinars shard perhaps shards have a second ability imbued with them... i got thinking about this when dalinar was getting sickness from killing parshendi perhaps the sword dalinar had gives him a thirst for battle and this is why syl dislikes his particular blade?

Kaladin i foresee will receive a shard its quite inevitable i do believe his shard (Possibly dawnshard) will be in the form of a Spear though. Reason he would not take the first shard he won it didn't feel correct to him he is a master of the spear to learn a totally new fighting style seems rather counterproductive

my biggest curiosity still will remain the black sphere that szeth was given and hid. i forsee this having the biggest impact in the story by far

The description of the Dawnblade Talenel drops at the end of the Epilogue sounds to me like a match for Kaladin (shape wise, it seemed more spear than sword.) Talenel also would continue in "seemingly hopeless fights". There was nothing more hopeless than Kaladins story, and more so his final fight for freedom by saving Dalinar.

I'd like to see Brandon do a romance between a human and a non-human sometime, but I don't think it's going to happen between Kaladin and Syl.

Also, Hoid/Shallan would be beyond creepy, given the huuuuuge age difference. Hoid should do one of the Heralds or something. That said, I look forward to seeing Shallan interact with Hoid.

Actually, Shallan is not really a favorite of mine either, though I don't want her to die and am really excited to find out more about her. I expect (or hope) that she will be one of these characters who I'm not crazy about at first, but eventually turns out to be really awesome. She certainly has the potential for it. That's happened for me with a few other characters of Brandon's in some of his other works.

That said, because she's not a favorite of mine, and because Kaladin is, I'm kind of hoping they don't get together :D I like the idea of a Renarin/Shallan/Adolin triangle, I can definitely see that.

Also, first post! I am officially delurking :P