Republic of Alleycity

Lord Meeker

Head of Defense  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Head of Defense to manage the Precursors be elected?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Darth Sir Woodrack Groot said:

... That's kind of like saying that the US wasn't at war after pearl harbor. It might theoretically be true, but at that point the declaration of war is basically just a formality.

Also, surprise attacks like these generally count as an act of war, even if no declaration has been made if my memory is correct.

Not their entire army. Some of it, yes, but they still had enough security teams to take the remainder 'prisoner', so they'll probably have some more lying around. There's also the fact that the Church hasn't been a Great Guild for that long, while the GBs have been around for almost 2 decades and are warlike by nature, so I think that they probably wouldn't have had to commit their entire army for this, just a portion large enough that organizations that aren't Great Guilds couldn't have managed it. Somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 would be my guess.

Edit: There's also the possibility of the GBs having build up their army way in excess of what the other guilds have, so in that case they'd have a lot more remaining, though I think that this would still have been a large blow.

Edited by kenod

It would be an interesting plot point, to see something like a Great Guild status being stripped, but we all know what happens when a major power in the world is severely limited for their role in a war... they often sign on for a sequel, and not a pretty one ^_^

“No!” Wes exclaimed. His head still ached like crazy.

“We are a good guild, and just because of one attack which there is no evidence we did you’re talking about stuff like this. It sounds almost like you all are teaming up on us, to try and get us out of the picture.”

The attack was at the church, not here. We're just trying to figure out if the ghostbloods are the guilty ones (IC at least, we already have confessions OOC), and afterwards we'll probably try to decide what to do with them.

Jackal walked in, with thirty Precursors pointing guns at his back, with Thel walking next to him, ready to cut his head off at the slightest hostile action.

"Hello. I am the Jackal. You probably all know me. I will share who was behind the attack, but before I do, I want a private conversation with the GB rep. If you don't let me have this, you can all keep pointing fingers with circumstantial evidence. I'll let you consider," Jackal said. Thel was surprised to say the least.

"What? You expect me to let you talk wit the GB rep, alone? You could try to kill him!" Thel said.

"I don't have my staff on me, and their GB. They can hold their own long enough to have you come in and attack me. If he says no, you can lock me up. If he says yes, then you can probably still lock me up."

4 minutes ago, Darth Sir Woodrack Groot said:

Jackal walked in, with thirty Precursors pointing guns at his back, with Thel walking next to him, ready to cut his head off at the slightest hostile action.

"Hello. I am the Jackal. You probably all know me. I will share who was behind the attack, but before I do, I want a private conversation with the GB rep. If you don't let me have this, you can all keep pointing fingers with circumstantial evidence. I'll let you consider," Jackal said. Thel was surprised to say the least.

"What? You expect me to let you talk wit the GB rep, alone? You could try to kill him!" Thel said.

"I don't have my staff on me, and their GB. They can hold their own long enough to have you come in and attack me. If he says no, you can lock me up. If he says yes, then you can probably still lock me up."

Wes felt a pounding in his head, and he tried not to hyperventilate. The Jackal. Oh, storms, he was right here. And wanted to talk to him privately.

“I-I-uh-I-I mean- okay?” He stammered.

If you're thinking about making a secret deal, an Oath Rod is being brought over to ensure you tell the truth, and the jackal also isn't nearly the only captive made during the attack, so we can cross-reference your testimony.

We also have soothers, rioters and Aon Kii. We can force him to swear. And given that the oath rod doesn't force the person swearing an oath to say what the other wants them to say, but instead forces them to tell the truth, it wouldn't count as a confession under torture, since the factors that normally make those unreliable aren't present here.

13 hours ago, kenod said:

Not going to accept it. It makes zero sense IC, and if you're going to use OOC reasons like 'just accept it' I'll point you to Sorana's confession of the ghostbloods discussing this.

Also, how would the rep of a guild have access to these recordings, and not send warning to the Church beforehand? Doesn't that imply that said guild wanted this to happen?

Was worth a try.

11 hours ago, kenod said:

The acolyte looked at Kestraal. "One second please," they said. They looked at Keleth. "You said you've got a recording," they started in an acidic tone, "and that you don't know who's on it. How does something like that happen. I mean, someone must have given this to you, since if you had information on this before the attack happened you would surely have send it to the Church, right? So, someone gave this to you since the attack happened, but you didn't trace down who gave it to you? I mean, surely something like that would be important, because otherwise it could have just been the ghostbloods who faked it and then gave it to you. Also, you didn't ask them about the people in the recording? I mean, they made it, surely they would have tried to find out who would be the ones they recorded. Besides, it shouldn't be difficult to find out, since only a Great Guild has the resources for an attack like this."

Keleth played the recording.  It was everything Keleth had said it was and more.  Keleth nodded though, and said, "You have valid points.  I acquired this from an inside man.  I can't speak for his honesty, or if this recording is just a fraud."

Edit:

Ok, now I've caught up.

Keleth nodded.  The kid was doing good.  Keleth got up and interjected his thoughts, "The Ghostbloods have a violent history, but look at the DA.  On a regular basis, the commit murder and the occasional soul-rending for their little 'experiments'.  Pretty much any guild here––other than the newer ones––can attest to having a violent past.  My own guild is on the verge of a major war with the Keepers, and has been at war with the northern yeti tribes for the past few months.  You can't judge a guild's innocence by their previous actions.  Until we have hard evidence, we should avoid pointing fingers.  Confession by him," he pointed at the Jackal, "Would be optimal.  Preferably under duress of the oathrod, so the truthfulness of his statement can be trusted."

Edited by Vargo Seldon

A number of DA lawyers raised objections at once upon hearing the Jackal's proposal. One of them immediately stood up and called across the floor.

"I'm sorry but what? You expect us to allow you to enter into a private conversation with your suspected employer with no guards where no one can hear you? Why would you ever think we would agree to that?"

He turned towards the rest of the council.

"I suggest that this request be denied to prevent either escape attempts, violence, or simply collusion and the ability for two suspect individuals to speak privately with each other and rehearse their testimony."