Investiture voids

Ark1002

Investiture Voids  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should we add them to the Alleyverse?

• Yes, I would like Investiture Voids
    • No, I would not like Investiture Voids
    • I do not have an opinion

I want to add to the Alleyverse a piece of lore that is places where no powers, of any forms, work. My explanation is there was some quirk in the alleys, and these were created. ~20 city sized locations on the planet that nothing magical works, you can't tap feruchemy, can't use alleymatics, can't awaken, channel, no epic powers, cytonics, nothing. So, thoughts?

Edited by #Voidapple

4 hours ago, Turtle373 said:

sounds interesting, how would shardblades/plate work

I think that you wouldn't be able to summon either one. If it's dead plate then it should lock up as the stormlight wouldn't work. I don't think spren would be able to enter at all.

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

If no magic worked then they'd be dimensionally unstable and kill anyone who entered them. The Alleyverse only exists because magic is keeping it stable through the worldspike.

Maybe these could be like perpendicularities. A place where the borders between worlds is fluid....

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:

What would happen if you inserted an aluminum spike into a bindpoint on the planet?

Voidus would be very impressed that you managed to find out the bindpoints for a planet.

But really you'd need to spike the bindpoint that the world spike is already in to remove it.

13 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:
18 hours ago, Turtle373 said:

I think that you wouldn't be able to summon either one. If it's dead plate then it should lock up as the stormlight wouldn't work. I don't think spren would be able to enter at all.

That's about right. A summoned dead blade would work as a regular blade, albeit an invincible one.

16 hours ago, Voidus said:

If no magic worked then they'd be dimensionally unstable and kill anyone who entered them. The Alleyverse only exists because magic is keeping it stable through the worldspike.

No, they are still stabilized by the worldspike. More like if you had feruchemic gold, and then small aluminum plates on top of little areas. They are healed by the gold, but those little aluminum plates can't be affected by a shardblade or such. Not the best example, but that works okay.

13 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Maybe these could be like perpendicularities. A place where the borders between worlds is fluid....

I like this. 

17 hours ago, kenod said:

Also, how would this work for characters who's powers aren't depended on magic, like Kandra, genetic manipulated beings, power armor, things like that. Also, this sounds a bit like Steddings.

Power armor would keep working, provided it has no basis in investiture. A kandra would still function, though they would no longer get the benefit of the blessings. They have spikes, so they get intelligence, but no Potency or the like. If it's a GMO, it depends. Does it follow laws of physics and such? Because then it's just normal.

It had an inspiration in a combination of darth woodrack's defended base ideas, aluminum, and the stedding.

The issue is, there will be a lot of handwavium because when it comes down to it, nothing from the cosmere can function without investiture.

All life is based off of investiture in some way, the spiritwebs are investiture. You could say that spirit webs aren't affected, but that lets hemalurgy work.

Hemalurgy changes spirit webs, so if you stipulate that the investiture voids don't impact spiritwebs, there shouldn't be anything stopping hemalurgists from maintaining increased intelligence or strength.

In addition metalminds would still work considering that they rely on storing attributes in the spiritweb of the objects. 

You could say that the Dor doesn't function, and that stormlight is immediately sucked out of gems. But it would be difficult to come up with a definition that could remove the abilities of all invested beings without killing them.

1 hour ago, Ark1002 said:

No, they are still stabilized by the worldspike. More like if you had feruchemic gold, and then small aluminum plates on top of little areas. They are healed by the gold, but those little aluminum plates can't be affected by a shardblade or such. Not the best example, but that works okay.

The issue is one of spirit webs. The spirit-web of the planet is completely manufactured, and is all investiture. If you removed that investiture, the world-spike ceases to stabilize it. There has to be some form of investiture present otherwise it can't function.

18 hours ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

Thankfully, all of my characters rely on skills instead of magic.

Same.  

2 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

The issue is, there will be a lot of handwavium because when it comes down to it, nothing from the cosmere can function without investiture.

This is the alleyverse.  You could use something from Earth.

17 hours ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Some Earths don't have investiture, so you could make that a place where the border between the alleyplanet and one of the Earths is fluid.

It doesn't remove stormlight, doesn't remove investiture. It just prevents it from being used. A Returned would keep the breath, but he couldn't heal with it. An Awakener would keep breath, but they wouldn't get the positive effects of the heightenings, and wouldn't be able to awaken.

Actually wait, that wouldn't work. The benefits from breath heightening aren't kinetic. Also, already summoned shardblades and plate would function still. Also, I think the reason that returned are still alive is because of the fifth heightening benefits, it doesn't make sense for other people to not be able to benefit from breath heightening, but not returned.

Also, do we know if Dakhor are actively using investiture all the time (thus being kinetic)? or would their passive strength be considered innate?

Finally, hemalurgically increased strength as intelligence wouldn't be affected by the field then.

I will need to think about this more.

8 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Actually wait, that wouldn't work. The benefits from breath heightening aren't kinetic. Also, already summoned shardblades and plate would function still. Also, I think the reason that returned are still alive is because of the fifth heightening benefits, it doesn't make sense for other people to not be able to benefit from breath heightening, but not returned.

Also, do we know if Dakhor are actively using investiture all the time (thus being kinetic)? or would their passive strength be considered innate?

Finally, hemalurgically increased strength as intelligence wouldn't be affected by the field then.

I will need to think about this more.

It stops investiture being used, effecting something else. A shardblade's investiture wouldn't effect anything. Plate couldn't ue the stormlight to enhance. I could be wrong about Returned, and in that case, yes, they would die.

Dahkor are, as it is location based, though less then normal Elantrian magics.

It stops the interaction with the spiritweb.