Is SA going to be two 5 books sagas?

Xavier Iriarte

Yeah it's going to be two five book arcs, set 10-15 years apart.

Most of the major characters from the first arc that survive will be in the second arc I think, though they may be a bit more in the background, and some more minor characters in the first arc will be major characters in the second.

Here's the lowdown from the man himself:

the-kings-wit

One thing that I'm slightly confused about is who the primary POVs will be for the second set of 5 books in the 10-book series. I've heard a bunch of names being floated around on various online forums--such as Jasnah, Renarin, and Taravangian to name a few--but are any of these confirmed? Any word of Brandon as of yet?

Brandon Sanderson

It's possible this will change. But the back five have been planned as Jasnah, Renarin, Lift, Taln, and Ash. Though, once again, this isn't a promise that these people survive. You'll likely see at least one flashback set in the series from a character who has died in a previous book, and then you get to see something they experienced through flashbacks before their death.

faragorn

I'm having trouble locating Ash. No direct matches on coppermind.net, 17th shard forums or google.

Do you mean Ashir from one of the WoK interludes? Or perhaps someone we haven't met yet (at least by name).

Brandon Sanderson

There are a lot of weird things going on with Ash, so what's up with her will be something you'll have to wait on for a long while.

Enasor

But how about the characters we currently love? Are they all gone in the second half??? This is terrible :-(

Brandon Sanderson

No, they will be around. (Well, if they survive.) But the second series will be taking place years later, and their roles may have changed.

Footnote: The Ash that Brandon is referring to here is the Herald also known as Shalash.
source

I'm guessing that he just means their "roles" in the story, i.e., whether they're major characters. That said, there will probably be in-world reasons why Kaladin and company won't be as close to the action anymore. Getting tired of the fight? Becoming parents? Found jobs that suit their talents better? Dead? We'll just have to wait and see!

14 minutes ago, Joy said:

I'm guessing that he just means their "roles" in the story, i.e., whether they're major characters. That said, there will probably be in-world reasons why Kaladin and company won't be as close to the action anymore. Getting tired of the fight? Becoming parents? Found jobs that suit their talents better? Dead? We'll just have to wait and see!

Yeaaaaaah, this.
Maybe just in reversal to what we have now. We know from WOB that the flashback characters in arc 2 are going to be Lift, Renarin, Ash, Taln and Jasnah, and I expect those of our current batch to maybe be around like Lift, Renarin and Jasnah have been so far?

Also, there is a very good chance, should some (read: Kal) not make it to arc 2, that I won't make it there as well. There are things I can take, and things I can't.
(Kidding, I know I can't skip out on Lift, Renarin and Jasnah, but also kinda not kidding.)

10 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

Also, there is a very good chance, should some (read: Kal) not make it to arc 2, that I won't make it there as well. There are things I can take, and things I can't.
(Kidding, I know I can't skip out on Lift, Renarin and Jasnah, but also kinda not kidding.)

I legitimately think that if Kaladin isn't in the second part it will become very difficult for me to read it.

Kal's POV's are what got me through the beggining of WoK. And he is by far my favourite character.

That said, i trust Brandon. Even if Kal dies, i'll keep reading.

11 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

there is a very good chance, should some (read: Kal) not make it to arc 2, that I won't make it there as well

Yep right there with you. Kaladin is by far my favorite character. If / when he checks out, that will likely be the point I check out as well.

I love Kaladin and I'd be sad if he died, but I trust Brandon, and wouldn't stop reading just because one of my favourites died.

Besides I kind of suspect Kaladin will die at some point, he feels like the kind of character that's destined to do a heroic sacrifice eventually. So I won't be shocked if he does die.

14 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

I love Kaladin and I'd be sad if he died, but I trust Brandon, and wouldn't stop reading just because one of my favourites died.

Besides I kind of suspect Kaladin will die at some point, he feels like the kind of character that's destined to do a heroic sacrifice eventually. So I won't be shocked if he does die.

I wonder if that becomes the final idea? I will protect the many even when it costs the life of one

40 minutes ago, Eris said:

I wonder if that becomes the final idea? I will protect the many even when it costs the life of one

Yeah, that seens likely as Kaladin is a larger than life character and in my experience -Mistborn Spoilers-

Spoiler

Larger than life characters usually end up dying as heroes, just like Kelsier did

The only problem i see is that Kaladin is obsessed with protecting other people before himself, so that ideal wouldn't be so difficult for him to swear. And in OB we see he knows the worss but just isn't able to say them

That would be the fourth ideal he can't say but the fifth ideal would be somehow becoming what your order is like skybreakers become the law in their 5th ideal, so the ultimate sacrifice would be to do that. Kaladin yes would do it in a heart beat but would he really? The reason he hasn't killed himself is because of his obsession on wanting to protect everyone. Kaladin won't die until everyone is saved. 

I don't know if I am making sense but I hope I am 

I really love Kaladin and would be devastated if he died, but I don’t think I would stop reading the series if he did die. It’s kind like how

[MISTBORN SPOILERS]

Spoiler

Kelsier has a heroic sacrifice in the end of the final empire. Really sad, but you keep reading anyway.

1 hour ago, Eris said:

That would be the fourth ideal he can't say but the fifth ideal would be somehow becoming what your order is like skybreakers become the law in their 5th ideal, so the ultimate sacrifice would be to do that. Kaladin yes would do it in a heart beat but would he really? The reason he hasn't killed himself is because of his obsession on wanting to protect everyone. Kaladin won't die until everyone is saved. 

I don't know if I am making sense but I hope I am 

Oh now i get what you said! The sacrifice will be difficult for him not because of his own life but because if he is dead then he can't make sure everyone else is safe. 

The ideals are just such a cool concept

7 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I really love Kaladin and would be devastated if he died, but I don’t think I would stop reading the series if he did die. It’s kind like how

[MISTBORN SPOILERS]

7 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

[MISTBORN SPOILERS]

Reveal hidden contents

Kelsier has a heroic sacrifice in the end of the final empire. Really sad, but you keep reading anyway.

This is exactly what I thought when I was reading Mistborn but I don't think Kaladin will die until he has at least finished his personal growth arc. Shallan's arc is her trying to come to terms that she is all her personalities and they are her, I think Kaladin needs to come to the realisation that he can't save everyone so I don't Sanderson would do that. I can only see him doing it if he wants to make Kaladin a tragic hero but with how it is going I highly doubt he would reduce Kaladin to a tragic hero

4 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

I feel like due to the age of the characters, it makes more sense for Dalinar to go out in someway during the first five book arc. Whether that’s through death or through becoming a Shard, who knows. 

I think it is an almost certain that he won't live for the whole series due to age, sadly

1 hour ago, Eris said:

I think it is an almost certain that he won't live for the whole series due to age, sadly

He's only 50 something. He'd be somewhere between his late sixties and mid seventies depending on the length of the time gap, and any smaller time skips between books (currently there is a one year skip between books 3 and 4). So he could easily still be alive for book 6 at least.

• Chaos locked this topic