Email List and Submission Dates

Silk

I'd like to submit again as well, but I don't want to be *that guy* who hogs a spot every week. Is it okay?

Yeah, we all know who THAT guy is...  ;op

Hey all, my time is coming back to me.  I think I'll be able to submit next Monday (the 14th) if there is still room (which it seems there is).  Will that be all right?

Hurrah!

Edited by Robinski

I would like to submit next week if I'm back in time from a funeral. Also, with that in mind, sorry for my lack of comments on any of the new submissions - I will get caught up next week! 

Oh, sorry to hear that. :( Safe travels!

I'd like to submit again as well, but I don't want to be *that guy* who hogs a spot every week. Is it okay?

It's cool, you have to submit at least three times in a row before you become "that guy." ;)

Ahem. In all seriousness, it's totally fine. We have people who submit every week for months at a time sometimes. If I need to ask you not to submit for a week or a couple of weeks while we get in new people or people who haven't submitted in a while, I will, but it happens fairly rarely.

Oh, sorry to hear that. :( Safe travels!

It's cool, you have to submit at least three times in a row before you become "that guy." ;)

Ahem. In all seriousness, it's totally fine. We have people who submit every week for months at a time sometimes. If I need to ask you not to submit for a week or a couple of weeks while we get in new people or people who haven't submitted in a while, I will, but it happens fairly rarely.

Hey, I like being that guy . . . I think . . . 

But as was said, if it's a problem, Silk will let you know.

Getting feedback for a novel is a lengthy process anyway. I just try to keep the length of my submissions reasonable (this week not withstanding) and make a note of what strikes a cord - good or bad - with the readers. 

I'm looking forward to making Scholomancer a weekly ritual, so make sure you hurry back!

If absolutely no one else is submitting, I'd happily continue my role as "that guy" and submit again this week. But if we're getting a flood of submissions I'll happily cede my spot to someone else

Also, just for future reference, are we allowed to go a little over the 5000 word limit? I find combining chapters will sometimes put me around 5,300 or so. I'm happy to submit these separately, but I'd just like to know how much over is "too much."

Edited by AuthorityHellas16

What, what?!?! You mean we're going to have an interruption in the flow of Scholomancer? I thought you'd finished? Who do you think you are, George (RR) Martin?

My thought exactly!

I'm looking forward to making Scholomancer a weekly ritual, so make sure you hurry back!

If absolutely no one else is submitting, I'd happily continue my role as "that guy" and submit again this week. But if we're getting a flood of submissions I'll happily cede my spot to someone else

Also, just for future reference, are we allowed to go a little over the 5000 word limit? I find combining chapters will sometimes put me around 5,300 or so. I'm happy to submit these separately, but I'd just like to know how much over is "too much."

Generally I've been alright reading the occasional entry over 5000 (and have been guilty of it myself).  Just don't do it every week or Silk might have to incite the mob on you...

And to throw my hat in the ring, I will have something to submit in the next couple weeks.  Potentially next week, if I get really excited this weekend.  It's a short story (14k words) that I'm planning on posting to my website in preparation of self-publishing a Novella next year.  Some of you (cough*Robinski*cough) will be familiar with the Seeds of Dissolution universe and may have even read bits of it before.

Generally I've been alright reading the occasional entry over 5000 (and have been guilty of it myself).  Just don't do it every week or Silk might have to incite the mob on you...

That trombone-wielding maniac is not to be trifled with but, without wishing in any way to encourage this sort of behaviour, please see the attached page...

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/45556-waifs-and-strays-%E2%80%93-submission-1-%E2%80%93-150922-%E2%80%93-prologue-and-chapter-1-%E2%80%93-5918-words-v/

And to throw my hat in the ring, I will have something to submit in the next couple weeks.  

Huzzah!!

It's a short story (14k words) that I'm planning on posting to my website in preparation of self-publishing a Novella next year.  

Yippee-ki-yay!!!

Edited by Robinski

Alright. Submitting tomorrow, I have Kammererite, rdpulfer, Authorityhellas, Eisenheim, and possibly Mandamon (have you decided?)--is that right? If I've missed anyone and/or we have any further requests I may have to rain on somebody's opportunity to be "that guy." :P

Nooooooooo!!! That's h*llish - so sorry to hear that. Word is pretty good at keeping temp files - I had this issue a couple of weeks back when we had a powercut and our PC's all shut down instantly. When re-powered, Word offered the Autosaved version from 10 minutes before the crash - I hope it works like this for you, Kam.

Robinski it was a complete computer lock out. the computer would not even power up, yet i know the battery was full. In fact the charger did not even recognize the computer was plugged in.

Mandamon: that is brilliant. I will have to set this up for the future.

On the bright side, in what i am dubbing a Christmas miracle after 5 hours of playing around leaving it on the charger, i got my computer to start up again and i got the file back. Yay!!!