The Chat Thread

Archer

1 minute ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

For the magic system what if to get the powers you bond a shadow beast thingy. let's say this would have been nearly impossible before the forge thingy, but now there's been a radical shift in their thinking, so now they are bonding.

I don't think that would make sense unless Aylitha dies first

12 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

... maybe a lot of Investiture Suppressors :ph34r:

But fair point. I don't really know enough about the DA (yet).

For a good starting point, the final thread from the era 3 finale involved the department heads cutting lose slightly, among other things having the Stranger create a massive lake-sized crater with two soulcastings. There's also a thread of a sparring match between Voidus and the Stranger somewhere.

Bottom line though, most department heads can eradicate the entire city while holding back. Voidus can simply unmake everything, the Stranger possesses every single magic in existence, at power levels that make the Lord Ruler look like a toddler. Mac can just shift a bunch of astroids to hit the city, and Aylitha is an eldritch abomination hivemind with infinite biomass who can just eat the entire place.

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

For a good starting point, the final thread from the era 3 finale involved the department heads cutting lose slightly, among other things having the Stranger create a massive lake-sized crater with two soulcastings. There's also a thread of a sparring match between Voidus and the Stranger somewhere.

Bottom line though, most department heads can eradicate the entire city while holding back. Voidus can simply unmake everything, the Stranger possesses every single magic in existence, at power levels that make the Lord Ruler look like a toddler. Mac can just shift a bunch of astroids to hit the city, and Aylitha is an eldritch abomination hivemind with infinite biomass who can just eat the entire place.

And Cam... Cam is the scariest one of all. 

You don't want to know what Cam can do.

1 minute ago, mathiau said:

I don't think that would make sense unless Aylitha dies first

If Aylitha is creating them, you probably need her permission to bond them. If you even can, they're probably some weird hybrid between a mind Epic's power and her own alien biology.

As for killing Aylitha... You probably have an easier time killing Voidus. She's a hivemind with infinite regeneration spread over multiple dimensions and a ton of fallbacks to deal with unexpected magics that target the mind or soul.

Just now, MacThorstenson said:

And Cam... Cam is the scariest one of all. 

You don't want to know what Cam can do.

At this point I'm just assuming Cam's main power is to make everyone believe they really don't want to have anything to do with him

3 minutes ago, kenod said:

If Aylitha is creating them, you probably need her permission to bond them. If you even can, they're probably some weird hybrid between a mind Epic's power and her own alien biology.

As for killing Aylitha... You probably have an easier time killing Voidus. She's a hivemind with infinite regeneration spread over multiple dimensions and a ton of fallbacks to deal with unexpected magics that target the mind or soul.

Really, Voidus would be easier to kill. I fully expected killing her was impossible but storms that's a high bar

1 minute ago, kenod said:

ahk. what if a new person came to the mix? let's say an epic with Megan's powers came to the alley verse and then brought another version of Voidus or Aylitha over by accident. Then the other person would battle against the other version of themselves.

8 minutes ago, mathiau said:

At this point I'm just assuming Cam's main power is to make everyone believe they really don't want to have anything to do with him

No, its much, much worse. Merely summoning Cam required the deaths of 10000 interns at the hands of unlabeled spills. It required repeating the arcane ritual three whole times, and filling out the request forms in triplicate as well. To even get close to the ancient tome one had to sit through a full 40 hours of employee safety seminars, that you weren't given extra time or a lighter work load for.

Truly Cam Nosnetsroht is and was the most souless of denizens, powerful of demigods, and stringent rule lawyer that the alleys have and will ever see.

Edited by MacThorstenson

ahk. what if a new person came to the mix? let's say an epic with Megan's powers came to the alley verse and then brought another version of Voidus or Aylitha over by accident. Then the other person would battle against the other version of themselves.

For Voidus, that's basically what Sudiov is. For Aylitha, they'd probably either merge, or give up because the both kind of lack raw offensive power. Aylitha's main focus, and her own origin, is a pursuit of immortality. She's overspecialized in defense, but in return her offensive abilities are low. (Relatively, at least. She can still kill most folks, but she mostly just either eats folks or uses sheer wave assault, she doesn't have the single-target destructive potential the others have)

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

For Voidus, that's basically what Sudiov is. For Aylitha, they'd probably either merge, or give up because the both kind of lack raw offensive power. Aylitha's main focus, and her own origin, is a pursuit of immortality. She's overspecialized in defense, but in return her offensive abilities are low. (Relatively, at least. She can still kill most folks, but she mostly just either eats folks or uses sheer wave assault, she doesn't have the single-target destructive potential the others have)

hm. what about a version of Cam?

I like the idea of expanding on Alleymatics for additional powers. What about drawing on the chaos of the Alleys? Like people could tie their essence to a specific Alley, which would allow them to either summon what's in it (paint, frogquisitors, clouds), or would transform them based on it's nature(becoming  two dimensional, growing tentacles, having lighter gravity). It would open up a bunch of possibilities for creative powers while all being linked in to a central theme.

Just now, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

*blinks* excuse me what? makes who wish he could kill... What?

If Cam went after Aylitha he'll make Aylitha wish Cam was capable of killing her.

1 minute ago, Fatebreaker said:

I like the idea of expanding on Alleymatics for additional powers. What about drawing on the chaos of the Alleys? Like people could tie their essence to a specific Alley, which would allow them to either summon what's in it (paint, frogquisitors, clouds), or would transform them based on it's nature(becoming  two dimensional, growing tentacles, having lighter gravity). It would open up a bunch of possibilities for creative powers while all being linked in to a central theme.

Could be interesting, though I think we're kind of brainstorming about an Alleyverse specific magic system not limited to the DA. Fleshing out Alleymatics more could be useful though, right now making chars that use it is difficult, because of a lack of limits. I think that right now Mari is the only one using a subset of Alleymatics as specific, defined power.

2 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

hm. what about a version of Cam?

Cam already holds the guillotine over Voidus' neck. He could take out the heads of the DA with a few carefully places memos, heaven's knows they've committed enough safety violations. Perhaps he couldn't kill them, but eternal HR purgatory is pretty close. 

huh. but what if there were two aylithas? would they then team up on Cam? hmmmmmm.

Nope, as far as he's concerned they both would need to own up to the HR violations.

3 minutes ago, Fatebreaker said:

Ooh I like it. It would come with a cost too, the madness of the alleys could mingle with the soul of the person, giving an inherent cost to use it. 

1 minute ago, kenod said:

Could be interesting, though I think we're kind of brainstorming about an Alleyverse specific magic system not limited to the DA. Fleshing out Alleymatics more could be useful though, right now making chars that use it is difficult, because of a lack of limits. I think that right now Mari is the only one using a subset of Alleymatics as specific, defined power.

I think fates suggestion was that more people would be able to use this subset of an alley's power. Like people born on the Alley planet would be able to bond or access a specific alley and a certain additional power could come from that.

1 minute ago, MacThorstenson said:

Ooh I like it. It would come with a cost too, the madness of the alleys could mingle with the soul of the person, giving an inherent cost to use it. 

I think fates suggestion was that more people would be able to use this subset of an alley's power. Like people born on the Alley planet would be able to bond or access a specific alley and a certain additional power could come from that.

Precisely, allowing for people to make characters that can have stronger powers but with built in weaknesses.

And yes, I was thinking that the ramifications of the Forging would cause the Alleys to start to bleed into the outside world more, giving more people access to the powers. It could even be a plot point in the next era.

Just now, kenod said:

If Cam went after Aylitha he'll make Aylitha wish Cam was capable of killing her.

mkay. thanks for clarifying.

Now, what if instead of the darkness monster thingies I was talking about, they had to bond a new kind of creature. like an alley creature, I like what FB said above, but I think to get it they would have to bond something, to go along with the cosmere's magic themes.

7 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

mkay. thanks for clarifying.

Now, what if instead of the darkness monster thingies I was talking about, they had to bond a new kind of creature. like an alley creature, I like what FB said above, but I think to get it they would have to bond something, to go along with the cosmere's magic themes.

There was an alleyspren at some point, wasn't it?

Edited by mathiau

To me, a strict one to one “bond” just feels a bit too similar to Stormlight. Channeling the power or essence of a singular Alley seems more interesting to me. Unless you’re talking about some sort of compact made with a being in an alley. That could be interesting too

18 minutes ago, Fatebreaker said:

Precisely, allowing for people to make characters that can have stronger powers but with built in weaknesses.

And yes, I was thinking that the ramifications of the Forging would cause the Alleys to start to bleed into the outside world more, giving more people access to the powers. It could even be a plot point in the next era.

I like it. 

In terms of admin work, there would could be three groups of powers, positives, negatives, and neutrals.  

15 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I'm personally not the most fond of having the alleys as something you could bond just by being present in the AV, and I'm not sure that works too well with the idea that this is similar to allomantic snapping where the people affected by the forgery have this happen to them.

8 minutes ago, mathiau said:

There was an alleyspren at some point, wasn't it?

I've toyed with having an Alleyspirit, and there was an Alleyspren early on in the 7 day war, but the alley's want to actively kill you. They don't want people in them, and so they don't really fit with the profile of something that would even be open to bonding.

4 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Unless you’re talking about some sort of compact made with a being in an alley. That could be interesting too

@Thaidakar the Ghostblood This is a really good idea, there are theoretically an infinite amount of alleys that serve as a prison for dangerous beings, you could totally form either a bond or a contract with one of them as your characters alley.

Edited by MacThorstenson

8 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

This is a really good idea, there are theoretically an infinite amount of alleys that serve as a prison for dangerous beings, you could totally form either a bond or a contract with one of them as your characters alley.

But be careful what you wish foooorrrr 

Im thinking that this would be a pretty high price type of power, not a friendly spren bond here. Like, let me devour your soul in exchange for some power rn type of thing

Edited by ZincAboutIt