Newcomer to the series

StrikerEZ

On 3/9/2019 at 7:50 PM, StrikerEZ said:

@Weltall @Lidolas @ScarletSabre @Just a Lifetime So, it’s been awhile, and I finished book 11 the other day. I’m finally about to start reading Brandon’s books and I’m so excited!

@StrikerEZ I applaud you! I hope your WoT journey has been enjoyable, because it is a LOT of work to read all the volumes as you've done - I myself could not do it. I had fun reading Brandon's WoT books, but surely not as much fun as many of you who read all 11 of Jordan's in sequence. (I got through book 6 and then used the WoT Encyclopedia and the Tor re-read to bridge to book 12. Cheating, I admit it, but better than not reading Brandon's books at all.) Much respect to you, and I mean that seriously. I hope 12-13-14 are everything you hope for & more.:)

@Weltall Once you get past book 10, it gets really easy to read through the books. It only took me so long to finish book 11 because I’ve been really busy the past month or so with band stuff, but it was much better than book 10, and book 12 is really good!

@Lidolas Yeah, I definitely can tell that there’s a difference between the writing, but it’s not annoyingly noticeable. Half the time, I’m just sucked into the story and forget that the book was written by Brandon. 

@SwordNimiForPresident I’m hyped. 

@Lump-wing Thank you for the praise! There were times where I wasn’t sure if it was worth it, but boy am I glad I stuck with it!

@Wyndlerunner Oh yeah, I can already feel the Sanderlanche pulling me to the end. I’m sure it’s just because I’m on spring break right now, but I’m already at 43% and it feels like the story is literally dragging me along, and there’s no escape from the force that is Brandon’s writing. 

8 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Whelp, I just finished The Gathering Storm. Light, that was amazing! I have basically three and a half days left of spring break. I’m hoping to finish the series by then, but who knows if I’ll be able to?

You should be able to. Quick word to the wise, there's some timeline shenanigans going on in Towers of Midnight. (part of it takes place during The Gathering Storm) don't let it throw you off. 

1 hour ago, Wyndlerunner said:

You should be able to. Quick word to the wise, there's some timeline shenanigans going on in Towers of Midnight. (part of it takes place during The Gathering Storm) don't let it throw you off. 

Oh yeah, I noticed that in the prologue. It’s not that big of a deal, that happened back in like book 10 or something, so I’m used to it. 

3 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Oh yeah, I noticed that in the prologue. It’s not that big of a deal, that happened back in like book 10 or something, so I’m used to it. 

Yeah, you haven't yet gotten to the real confusing stuff. Let me just say that a certain character threw me off my game 

4 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

@Weltall @Lidolas @SwordNimiForPresident @Lump-wing @Wyndlerunner 

I just finished book 13. Wow. Just wow. There aren’t proper words to describe how I feel. 

That book had me on the edge of my seat from the prologue onward. If feel like Mat and Perin finally become the characters that they were always meant to be. And Rand... I’m not a religious person, but I think I can understand what people who truly believe must feel when they think about their god.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:39 AM, Weltall said:

One more to go... <readies popcorn>

Whelp, I’m on my way to the last battle. I’m either gonna stay up late into the night now to finish the big chapter, or I’ll go to sleep early now and wake up early tomorrow to finish it. Either way, I need to finish by 11 tomorrow morning because I have to get ready for rehearsal at 1, and there won’t be enough time to finish the book after I get back. Wish me luck!

22 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

That book had me on the edge of my seat from the prologue onward. If feel like Mat and Perin finally become the characters that they were always meant to be. And Rand... I’m not a religious person, but I think I can understand what people who truly believe must feel when they think about their god.

I’m just in awe at how well Brandon’s written this conclusion. For the first time in a long while, every POV I’ve read has been interesting in some way. It’s amazing. And you’re right about the characters, they all just feel so...right. Like you said, this is what they were always meant to be. 

EDIT: So, uh, it is now 4:40 am. I finished the Wheel of Time about 10 minutes ago. I still can’t believe it’s over now. So many emotions. I’m really tired, so I’ll come back and express them better later, once I’ve had some sleep. 

Edited by StrikerEZ

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

Well, let me be the first to say congratulations! And also, wow, you finished that fast. :D

Yeah, it definitely didn’t feel like I was reading it all that quickly in the moment, though. By the time I finished the last battle chapter, I just couldn’t stop reading there. Then next thing I knew, Rand was walking away from Shayol Ghul. I really pushed myself way too hard trying to finish that in the time I did, but I’m glad I was able to read the last battle to the end all in one sitting. 

Oh, Androl and Pevara are my new WoT OTP. I wish there had been more of them in the book! I know there was limited space for them as it was, but I just loved those two so much. I would read a whole book with just those two as the main characters. 

Spoiler

I knew what was going to happen to Gawyn as soon as he got those rings, but his death still surprised me. I’d been holding out hope that he might’ve been able to survive. And of course Egwene had to go out in a blaze of glory afterwards. 

Why couldn’t Siuan have just listened to Min and gone back to Gareth???

When Olver blew the Horn and Noal came back and Olver was like “at least one came back,” I had to stop reading for a second so I wouldn’t cry.

I knew many characters were going to die going into the battle, but I still didn’t expect the ones that died to die. 

Anyway, despite all the tragic deaths, I’m super pleased with how the series ended. I’m confident that Brandon will be able to pull off something at least as epic as he did for WoT with SA now that I know he can do it.

28 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Feel free to it!

Light, I don’t even know where to begin. 

I just feel so emotionally drained after all that I’ve been through. It was so just so epic and heart-wrenching, yet at the same time so very satisfying. I just wish I could know what happened afterwards, but that’s always how it is when stories end. I think I’ll feel a lot better once I’ve had a good night’s sleep. 

11 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Light, I don’t even know where to begin. 

I just feel so emotionally drained after all that I’ve been through. It was so just so epic and heart-wrenching, yet at the same time so very satisfying. I just wish I could know what happened afterwards, but that’s always how it is when stories end. I think I’ll feel a lot better once I’ve had a good night’s sleep. 

Note that you may soon feel an overwhelming desire to reread WoT almost instantly after finishing- this is perfectly normal- but give it some time.

@StrikerEZ Congrats!!!  You just finished a marathon. :D  I remember being annoyed when Androl was introduced and got more screen time.  I thought, No, we don't need any more characters to follow.  But yes, he's one of my favorites now.  I'm so glad Brandon got to write those 3 books. He knows how to finish on a high note.

2 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Note that you may soon feel an overwhelming desire to reread WoT almost instantly after finishing- this is perfectly normal- but give it some time.

I’m actually not in the mood to reread yet. If I ever do a reread, I’ll probably only do the first 6, then the last 3 or 4. 

1 hour ago, Lidolas said:

@StrikerEZ Congrats!!!  You just finished a marathon. :D  I remember being annoyed when Androl was introduced and got more screen time.  I thought, No, we don't need any more characters to follow.  But yes, he's one of my favorites now.  I'm so glad Brandon got to write those 3 books. He knows how to finish on a high note.

Androl was one of my favorites as soon as he was introduced. The relationship between him and Pevara was probably my favorite part of Brandon’s books. That’s probably because it was a weak character figuring out how to use his limited ability to do something great, which is definitely one of my favorite types of characters. It’s also one of Brandon’s favorite archetypes, which probably explains why he got so much limelight. And then Pevara opening up to him and learning to accept him as a male channeler and, even more important, as a person and friend was just so good. And Brandon did it in a very limited amount of page time, which is amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

oh hey I'm jumping in. (sorry I haven't back read yet) I'm actually currently reading Wheel of Time! Passing by time while waiting for that next cosmere book. I'm at currenlty at Crown of Swords. They say it gets dragging near mid part of the series so I'm guessing around this time. Hopefully I can power through :)

btw does Nynaeve ever get better? reading her povs are... painful. 

On 4/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, 1011 said:

oh hey I'm jumping in. (sorry I haven't back read yet) I'm actually currently reading Wheel of Time! Passing by time while waiting for that next cosmere book. I'm at currenlty at Crown of Swords. They say it gets dragging near mid part of the series so I'm guessing around this time. Hopefully I can power through :)

Depends on what you define 'better' as. I personally never had much of a problem with Nynaeve, as I kind of appreciate her not taking people's crap. (I'm a bit too polite to ever do that myself-but there are times when I wish I could). Book 7 is where the slog begins, but once again it all depends on what you like. (If I'm being honest, it's not as much of a slog, since there's no waiting for the next book) I personally only ever had trouble with book 10 for various reasons that become apparent when you read that book

On 13/04/2019 at 3:51 PM, 1011 said:

I think most of the drag was more the waiting for the book to be released. I've found that the re-read was easier than the first read through because I was able to move onto the next book quickly! And Nynaeve is a divisive character HOWEVER she has one of the best arcs I've read. I adore her sense of not letting anyone define who she is.