Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

The one big thing about the map that has made no sence to me is the climate.

http://i.imgur.com/uQBXoST.jpg the are two aras of land on the same latitude that have vastly diffrent climates and with no land features to explane it.

Pretty sure WoB is (paraphrasing) that the Rosharan climate is dictated by weird stuff going on because of the highstorms, not because of normal latitude/tide/sun related factors

Guys! I figured it out!

It's a map! It shows where everything is for reference to locations!! And stuff.

(Yeah, Peter said we wouldn't guess it. So I guessed what we haven't guessed. Mwahahahaha! :))

Apparently you're the only one who guessed right

just found this on the theoryland database

BRANDON SANDERSON (3 JANUARY 2011)

The first wind is in the Mountains of Mist; I've always assumed this was a nod to Tolkien's Misty Mountains.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Look in The Way of Kings on the full map of Roshar for something similar.

don't know if this helps at all. Just saw it and thought this info could help someone.

Okay, I think I figured out the easter egg thanks to comments above! He said it's similar to how the Mountains of Mist in WoT is a nod to the Misty Mountains in LotR. Theres a mountain range in Shinovar called The Misted Mountains.

Yeah, that WoB is definitely in reference to the Misted Mountains, but I highly doubt that is the hidden thing since that has been known about for years.

I'm down with the Rosharfiend, though maybe RosharShell would be better? (this is another thing I thought of 10 seconds before I read the post about it :D)

It is clearly a crem coated Rainbow Shell waiting to be harvested for the making of a Rainbow sword and Rainbow armor to defeat Odium.

Edited by Douglas7886

First time here so be gentle..  

Anyways, most of you guys have touched on this and I might have missed the discussion about it, but to me this looks like a classic super continent that is breaking up.  So my thought, since we don't have to work on geological time scales due to "magic" in the form of high storms driving the continental divides, we could reasonably assume that the this pangea type world could have been much more compact in the 1st few desolations.  

To my eye, the epicenter of the original continent between the purelake and tarat sea with much more forced expansion north of purelake almost as if there was a force driving the land apart.  Here's what I thought it could look like: http://i.imgur.com/X1aIRGf.png The picture isn't great but you can imagine looking from the original to this where pieces might fit together.  

One interesting side, is that Kurth gets placed right at the top, middle of the purelake.  The only reference I've read is Kal talking about seeing the world and mentions Kurth as the "city of lightning."  Depending on timescale, how fast the expansion is happening, Kurth could be the obsidian city Dalinar saw in his vision (most likely a longshot).  Ru Parat also looks like it could have merged with the purelake as well but there really isn't any mention of the city and it could have been founded much after.  

Just a different way of looking at the map.

Edited by CursoryShard

What if Roshar was originally a water world (no Costner sadly) with a storm that would later become the storm we know and love once it was invested. Honor and Cultivation created an original landmass or habitat and once the storm was invested over time the cream acted as lava and basically added land area to this original artificial structure. That continent can look the way it does symmetry wise as it was originally a ship or other man made object.

I don't see how any part of Roshar can be a desert with all the highstorms bringing so much rain.

Now that, that may be something to look into, could the desert be some sort of symmetry to the equally confusing purelake?

Yes it is :)  A desert is determined by the amount of precipitation per year.  Antarctica gets very little snowfall each year, so it's a desert.  It's got so much snow and ice because what falls there never has a chance to melt.

Has anyone tried putting the map onto a more accurate projection? Assuming that the latitude numbers are correct and actual degrees, there's likely to be a fair amount of distortion towards the southern part of the map. This could affect its rotational symmetry.

Edited by Lomeon

When does it say that area is hot?

First post, I am more of a voyeur on here really, hi all.

Think what PA was getting at. I always read the map as being as some have also said in the southern hemisphere as the south all seems to be a colder climate and the north more temporate. Couldnt get that pic up so I am not sure what mje89 was alluding to?

All these squares make a circle all these squares make circle...

Peter did you give us a clue in that up vote??

Like relating to this??

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/dragonball-z-world-builders-wanted/

Just kidding haha though as you can tell by my picture I love the dbz franchise

Edited by Sirscott13

I think the secret is that Brandon's stalking me rather than the other way around!  No, really, see...

I live in Utah, my given name was Vinh, Brandon said I looked like her (at a signing), I wrote a story based on WoT, and Roshar sounds a lot like my handle that I've used for years (R'Shara).  IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.