[OB] Skybreaker of the Fifth Ideal

Peet

When reading about Nin in Oathbringer, a few questions came to mind.

Does being Radiant and wielding an honorblade that grants the same surges make those abilities extra powerful in any way? 

What happens to his spren when he is sent to Damnation? Does it go with him to be tortured also, or stay behind? Did he ever go to that place between desolations while bonded to a spren, or has he only bonded his spren in the last 4500 years?

The first question answered below. On the second it seems like he was the only one to join his own order so he would be our only source but I am guessing this took place after the last desolation but that is pure speculation. 

Questioner (paraphrased)

If a non-Windrunner picked up Jezrien's Honorblade would they gain Windrunner powers as well?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Questioner (paraphrased)

If a Windrunner picked up that blade, would their abilities be enhanced?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There would be some compounding but strength is not as much an issue with Surgebinding as is the strength of the spren bond and how much Stormlight you are using.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/222-words-of-radiance-houston-signing/#e5618

Guest Procrastinationspren

If I had to guess, I'd say he became a Skybreaker only after the last desolation. He wouldn't have the time to join a radiant order, because when he was on Roshar he would be fighting the desolation and when there was no desolation he was in Braize. But I think the honorblade question is really interesting and I wonder if we will get to see Nale wielding both his honorblade and his sprenblade Amaram style. Actually, I also wonder if Szeth will do the same with Nightblood.

24 minutes ago, Procrastinationspren said:

If I had to guess, I'd say he became a Skybreaker only after the last desolation. He wouldn't have the time to join a radiant order, because when he was on Roshar he would be fighting the desolation and when there was no desolation he was in Braize. But I think the honorblade question is really interesting and I wonder if we will get to see Nale wielding both his honorblade and his sprenblade Amaram style. Actually, I also wonder if Szeth will do the same with Nightblood.

Doesn't Mr T have Jezrien's blade now? So we could see a Dustbringer dual wielding with 4 surges...

Edited by StormingTexan
Spelling

27 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Doesn't Mr T have Jezrien's blade now? So we could see a Dustbringer dual wielding with 4 surges...

No book so no quote: but I believe that the Blade given to Moash after he killed Jezrieh was the Honorblade that Mr. T had. Odium got it from him after their talk at the end of the book.

15 minutes ago, WildSpeculation said:

No book so no quote: but I believe that the Blade given to Moash after he killed Jezrieh was the Honorblade that Mr. T had. Odium got it from him after their talk at the end of the book.

Oh yeah that’s correct! Totally forgot about that part!

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

This is not the case, but why stop there? A radiant with 2 honorblades, having access to 6 surges. Just WOW. Are there any creatures with more than 2 arms on Roshar?

1 hour ago, WildSpeculation said:

I think it was the Windrunner Honor blade, it was stolen to open the oathgate to Kholinar.

Also, that would make the most sense thematically.

27 minutes ago, Procrastinationspren said:

This is not the case, but why stop there? A radiant with 2 honorblades, having access to 6 surges. Just WOW. Are there any creatures with more than 2 arms on Roshar?

Well, Chasmfiends have 14 legs (I think). I'm not sure that they have opposable thumbs, though, so that could be an issue. 

37 minutes ago, Procrastinationspren said:

Are there any creatures with more than 2 arms on Roshar?

Why would they need arms? Reread WoK Interlude 9. Szeth specifically despawns his Honorblade so he has both hands free to grapple/infuse the soldiers. He didn't need his blade out to use the powers it gave, so it stands to reason...

50 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Why would they need arms? Reread WoK Interlude 9. Szeth specifically despawns his Honorblade so he has both hands free to grapple/infuse the soldiers. He didn't need his blade out to use the powers it gave, so it stands to reason...

Hmm, I didn't remember that. In this case, we have a clear path to our super-surgebinder. All they need to do is to get all honorblades and bond them. Piece of cake.

52 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Man beat me to it.

24 minutes ago, fievelgoespostal said:

Do we know all 5 of the Skybreakers ideals?

We don't know the specific words to them, but we know the general idea of them. They are the ideals of Radiance (normal first one), Justice(swear to uphold Justice), Dedication(dedicate to a specific code), Crusade(perform a task approved by your highspren), and Law(become the law, become truth).

It is actually the only one where we know all the ideals.

3 hours ago, Procrastinationspren said:

Hmm, I didn't remember that. In this case, we have a clear path to our super-surgebinder. All they need to do is to get all honorblades and bond them. Piece of cake.

Actually, you'd only need half of them to get access to all ten surges. Each blade mimics of the power of one order of Radiant, and each order has two surges, and each surge has two orders. 

I think the best way forward on the Super-surgebinder front is to figure out some way of Hemalurgically transferring the property of being a perfect gemstone into someone to counteract the stormlight drain caused by using the honorblades.

Or make a Lifeless Chasmfiend. Not really a surgebinder, but something that badly needs to happen.

5 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Do we know how Szeth was able to summon the honorblade? Like what the process is? Also do we know if you can do this with multiple honorblades? 

I guessing maybe because Amaram was able to do it with two dead blades and we’ve seen the honorblade/live shardblade but not sure if multiple honorblades are a possibility and part of me thinks there may have been a safe guard in place to prevent this otherwise why not just give the hearlads all the surges from one honorblade. That puts the upward limit of 3 honorblades one each hand and one summonable but not summoned if this is the case. 

7 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

Probably because 10 heralds are better than 1 super one, especially considering the original purpose of the heralds is to contain the fused, surges useless, and later became to lead desolations, in which they're more important as leaders than surgebinders.

Yeah I’m saying there could have still been 10 Heralds but each had all surges from each blade. So they were split up on purpose and each Herald given two surges very deliberately. Makes me think this may have been done on purpose to divide out the power and keep one Herald from being all powerful. Otherwise why limit them to two surges? There may be some mechanics preventing being able to bond a bunch of honorblades. 

10 hours ago, Heir of the Void said:

Or make a Lifeless Chasmfiend. Not really a surgebinder, but something that badly needs to happen.

Sadly I'm not sure that would work :(

The Chasmfiend only exists as it does because its spren bonds make it capable of bearing its own weight. If if dies, the spren leave and making it lifeless would give you a massive reanimated corpse with limbs that couldnt actually carry its own body. 

I suppose if you gave it enough breath it might work...

1 hour ago, Ookla the Fashionably Late said:

The Chasmfiend only exists as it does because its spren bonds make it capable of bearing its own weight.

True, but Awakened objects have been seen on several occasions doing things that, mechanically, they shouldn't be capable of (awakened textiles, in particular, seem vastly stronger in compression than they should be) and Kalad's Phantoms probably shouldn't work at all without their Breaths altering the material properties of their bodies. So it seems safe to assume that it could be done, though probably at a cost in Breath and potentially requiring a different Command that includes an order to replace the weight reduction of the Spren bonds.

Or you could just give it Iron spikes. Lifeless are sort of alive, so it might work.