Hi!

I've been searching for a timeline without any further success, but then i thought, what if the worlds yearcounting differ from world to world like that of a year on Earth and  a year on Saturn

Is it possible that Brandon has made this so complicated that one year on ex. Scaldrial is more/less than a year on Sel 

?

if someone has some knowledge about this, please enlighten me :) 

A year on Roshar is 10 months. Each month is 4 weeks of 10 days each, I believe.

Actually no. A Rosharan year has 10 months, each with 10 weeks, each with 5 days for a total of 500 days in the year.  A Rosharan year is also 1.1 Earth years.

As for different planets having different lengths of their years, it's very probable.

Welcome by the way!

Rosharan days must be pretty short, then. And given the size of the maps we see...it looks like it's also larger but less dense than Earth.

What a planet. I'd DEFINITELY like living there.

Umm.. You remember the hypercanes sweeping across the continent every few days, right? And the religious zealotry, feudal system, etc.?

Rosharan days must be pretty short, then.  And given the size of the maps we see...it looks like it's also larger but less dense than Earth.  

What a planet.  I'd DEFINITELY like living there.  

A Rosharan day is 20 hours if I recall and each hour is slightly off from an earth hour.

we don't know how big is the main ocean of roshar, but as far as i understand from the map, roshar is smaller than earth. the continent roshar is probably something like 10000 kilometers large, while earth has a circumference of 40000 km. I think most likely roshar is a bit smaller than earth, with about the same density. other people before me already gave the notions for rosharan rotation and orbital period.

We also know that in roshar system (I know it is easier to remember, but using the same name for the planet, the continent, and the star system can be confusing) there is another planet supporting life, which is a pretty big astronomical coincidence. I don't think we know if it is closer of farther from the start, but it must have a very different duration of the year.

About sel, nalthis, and scadrial, I don't think we were ever given detailed informations on the duration of the year and of the day, so I would assume they are roughly equal to that of earth until proved otherwise

I imagine all the Shardworlds have slightly different length for days (the time for the planet to fully rotate along its axis) and years (the time it takes the planet to complete one revolution around its star). It would be cosmologically extremely unlikely for all the Shardworlds to be identical in this regard. But keeping the numbers close to 24-hour days and 365*24-hour years is reasonable. With around 8,760 (deal with it, people who use , for decimals, this is almost 9k, not 9!) Earth hours in each year, Brandon has plenty of freedom to design his clocks and calendars in ways that fit his worlds, and still keep time Earth-like enough, so that the reader doesn't get confused (Lift, for example, is 13 Rosharan years old, but that makes her almost 15 by our standards; a noticeable difference, but not a dramatic one).

Roshar, for example, is a world where the influence of the number 10 is quite strong, so it makes sense for the calendar to be designed around that. (10 months) x (5 weeks / month) x (10 days / week) x (~20 Earth hours / day) ~ 10,000 Earth hours / year. In other words, well within the "Earth-like enough", only about 15% longer. If Brandon had chosen to use the number 10 around, so each month to have 10 weeks, instead of 5 (which would've "made much more sense" in Roshar), he either would've had to halve the length of his day (which would feel weird to the readers, 10-hour  for each day-night cycle?) or he would've had to make the year much much longer than Earth's. Which wouldn't have felt as weird, but still...

I can't think of any other world's calendar off the top of my head, but I expect they too are designed uniquely and perhaps with some special numbers in mind (maybe 16 on Scadrial?).

And since this is a welcome thread, welcome! :D

In The Emporer's Soul, (Sel) Shai says to Gaotona "'Yes, you worship the sun instead,' Shai said failing to keep the amusement out of her voice. 'Or, rather, eighty suns-believing that even though each looks the same, a different sun actually rises each day.'"

This, while not exactly stating it, implies that a year on Sel is 80 days.

• Chaos locked this topic