Interior Art

Argent

Also, does anyone know the meanings of Kaladin's three glyphs? I have a feeling it was said in the books, but I don't have a copy to check.

Shash means 'dangerous' and sas nahn was the district he was made a slave in if I recall correctly.

Sas nahn means "without nahn".  In other words the bottom of the heap.  No ranking.  You don't even get to play.  

Sas morom is a glyphpair Kaladin recognizes as "the highlord's district where the man was originally branded" when he is being driven to the Shattered Plains for the first time. 

Not too proud to admit I was wrong.  Strange, I could have sworn there was a passage actually indicating that it meant without nahn.  Checked in my kindle though.  It isn't there.

Edited by Shardlet

The weird thing is, Roshar has no birds. Shinovar has chickens and a proverb about doves. Does all of Roshar still associate wings with freedom over this?

It may have some flying crustaceans. :D

Edit: And skyeels.

Edited by Eri

That represents the month they were freed.  Tanat is the ninth month of the year.

Thank you! I have another question, probably as silly as the previous one  :D

Why does the Kholin glyph look like that, I thought it was made of Koh and Linil that looked like a tower and a shield?

Awww, still the Santhid? That's probably the least interesting of the Shallan pages. Why not the [redacted] or the [censored] or the

? I'm getting all jittery waiting to hear the reactions from fans. :P

Don't [redact] information, or we might [redact], [censored], and [ohgodthehumanity]. Just saying. Only a few mooooorrrreeeee daaaaayyyyys.

Awww, still the Santhid? That's probably the least interesting of the Shallan pages. Why not the [redacted] or the [censored] or the

? I'm getting all jittery waiting to hear the reactions from fans. :P

It's official you have joined Peter in his evilness...  Why must you mess with us? (JK I would totally be doing it if I was in your shoes)

Thank you! I have another question, probably as silly as the previous one  :D

Why does the Kholin glyph look like that, I thought it was made of Koh and Linil that looked like a tower and a shield?

Yeah, I second this.  How does it relate to khokh/linil?

Technically, it's neither. The resemblance to crown, or tower, or shield, or whathaveyou, is up to the artist - the glyphs themselves don't resemble anything intentionally.

Yes, that is true, but Dalinar's Khokh and Linil are styled as a crown and a tower respectively.  Elhokar's are styled differently.

Edited by Shardlet

Well there are 10 Herals/Numbers/Alethi princedoms Taln is the Herald of War and Alethela probaly is the silver kingdom of war.

Kholinar is the capital in the present and the past /maybe a Dawncity at that/ so I would assume that the Kholinars would have a similar glyph as the corresponding herald.(He does appear there at the end of WOK) It is probably quite ironic

that Dalinar is named the Highprince of War.

That probably accounts for the similarity between the two glyphs.But why are they not fully symmetrical? I have two guesses - it's either not holy to compare houses to heralds or maybe difference is just  grammar /the keteks aren't exactly pallindroms/

Well I should really read comments before posting.

Glyphs have a phonetic component. The overall shape can be stylized however the writer likes, but the phonetic component generally has to be present.

So the difference between the two glyphs could be anything

Also the year 1173 glyphs are shown on the page

Edited by terox

Did anyone else find these strangely similar to some of the glyphs found throughout tWoK?  I feel like we're seeing the dawn of this era's Radiant symbols.  They will start as free slaves, but the meaning will change to represent servants and protectors of mankind.  And that seems noteworthy to a worldhopper.

I don't think that's a likely path. The point I take from this similarity is that the Radiant orders' symbols are simply Alethi (?) script for... something. Their names, perhaps. Same alphabet and all that.

Two points against Nazh being Galladon:

1. When translating his infamous sul, Galladon uses just "friend," not "my friend." For example
    "“The day is right, friend,” Grump said. “But we were to meet at noon. Understand?” He generally did most of the talking."
  2. Ishikk thinks of them as Makabaki, because of their dark skin. Wouldn't a Makabaki ardent stand out in the Alethi warcamps? Do the Makabaki even become ardents? From what we've seen in Azir and Emul (two of the modern-day kingdoms that stand on the land that used to be Makabakam), it doesn't look like they follow Vorinism at all. And aren't ardents strictly Vorin?

Thank you Limelleth! I've been lurking for a while, trying to absorb the ocean of information available :D

Argent, I did notice that difference which bugs me, but it just seems so consistently used that it can't be an accident. Well, as much as it can be "consistently used" with two examples so far.

For point two, I don't think he has to be an ardent. The note says "I had to spend hours watching bridgemen to sketch their stupid forehead glyphs" which makes me think he's spending time observing and studying the tattoos so he can draw them later out of sight. If he was in range of them watching and sketching it wouldn't take him that long to draw them out. Plus, the "stupid" comment makes him sound pretty grumpy :D