[OB] Rosharan System Immigration/History

hoser

6 minutes ago, blackcatw81 said:

No one noticed Odium said to Mr. T. that the last knows the future without even having gone to Fortune? Is Fortune another shard on the Rosharan system?

Fortune is... a thing in the Cosmere. It's a Feruchemical Spiritual ability, and from this I think that it is related to predicting the future. We also know Hoid uses something similar to Feruchemical Fortune to know where he's supposed to go.

Edit: Ninja'd by not realizing there was a page 2.

Edited by Leyrann

6 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Fortune is a Spiritual mechanic. Not a shard. This has been confirmed multiple times. 

What gives me thought is the phrase Odium used, as if Fortune is a spren or something similar to the Nightwatcher (but I've found another thread using the search ;) thanks!).

10 minutes ago, blackcatw81 said:

What gives me thought is the phrase Odium used, as if Fortune is a spren or something similar to the Nightwatcher (but I've found another thread using the search ;) thanks!).

No, no, NO!

It is a Spiritual mechanic. It is in the same level as Connection, Investiture and Identity, and it seems to be related to a way to predict the future. Which also make sense with the name, as being able to predict the future would be "luck".

3 hours ago, IndigoAjah said:

Does "both these strains" refer to humans and Parshendi or Herdaziens and Horneaters, though? I assumed it meant the former

Sorry, I was using strain to mean large immigration groups of humans unto Roshar, from which the Herdazians/Horneaters were later genetic driftings.

Actually I think I might have been half-remembering an earlier Brandon quote in my thoughts on major waves of humans.  

mistborn:

Our basic language families are:

Vorin: Alethi, Veden, Herdazian, and more distantly Thaylen. Nathan is close to dead, but shares a root, and Karbranthian is basically a dialect. Other minor languages like Bav are in here.

Makabaki: Azish is king here, and most the languages around split off this. There are around thirty of these.

Dawnate: A varied language family with distant roots in the dawnchant. Shin, parshendi, Horneater. They share grammar, but they diverged long enough ago that the vocabulary is very different.

Iri: Iriali, Reshi, Purelake dialects, Riran, and some surrounding languages.

Aimian: These two are lumped together, but are very different. Probably what you were looking for.

That isn't counting spren languages, of course. I might have missed something. Typing on my phone without my wiki handy.

The 4 major human language families could definitely be linked to 4 distinct waves of human mass migration to Roshar.  Shin (dawnate), Makabaki, Iri and Vorin all seem to have distinct physical characteristics and cultures in addition to their language families.  It's also possible though that Makabaki or Vorin might be a cultural fusion or evolution of earlier distinct population groups.

4 hours ago, IndigoAjah said:

Does "both these strains" refer to humans and Parshendi or Herdaziens and Horneaters, though? I assumed it meant the former

I took this to mean the Herdaziens and Horneaters. Those two ethnicities existed before the Ascension. Since the Parshendi rely so heavily on the highstorm, it almost certainly means humans were present on Roshar before the Shattering as well.

7 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

I took this to mean the Herdaziens and Horneaters. Those two ethnicities existed before the Ascension. Since the Parshendi rely so heavily on the highstorm, it almost certainly means humans were present on Roshar before the Shattering as well.

Nvm I'm dumb

Edited by Leyrann

I just added these questions to the OP, but this is new to the thread. 

Consider the quote below.  What does Syl mean?  There may have been humans on Roshar before the Shattering.  There may have been multiple waves of migration thereafter.  Honor and Cultivation were on Roshar before Odium.  

Is Syl saying that the Shin were people of Odium before they came to Roshar? But what about Kaladin?  He is Alethi.  Is Syl saying that all migrations of Humans were originally of Odium?

I don't get it!

on p 1201, Syl says:

" ... you brought him (Odium) with you.  I wasn't alive then, but I know this truth.  He was your first god, before you turned to Honor."

11 hours ago, hoser said:

I just added these questions to the OP, but this is new to the thread. 

Consider the quote below.  What does Syl mean?  There may have been humans on Roshar before the Shattering.  There may have been multiple waves of migration thereafter.  Honor and Cultivation were on Roshar before Odium.  

Is Syl saying that the Shin were people of Odium before they came to Roshar? But what about Kaladin?  He is Alethi.  Is Syl saying that all migrations of Humans were originally of Odium?

I don't get it!

More or less exactly what it says, humans were the invaders and were on Odium's side in the beginning. That or she is referring to only the wave that arrived with Odium for the first desolation.

My question would that Honour was surprised when spen developed Surgebinding. I think that was Honour, anyway.

This would then imply that there was no Surgebinding before the desolations began, because it was just the Heralds by themselves at that point. 

So how did Surgebinders destroy their previous world, if they didn't exist (other than the Heralds I suppose) before Roshar. Unless somewhere else had seen, and desolations.

There is so much we don't know.

On 16/11/2017 at 5:36 PM, Wandering Investor said:

problem with this theory, Humans were present on Roshar before Odium, Cultivation, and Honor ascended. 

WOB:

"There was intermixing long ago. Horneaters and Herdazians are both a result. (Signs of this are the stone carapace on Herdazian fingernails and the Horneater extra jaw pieces--in the back of the mouth--for breaking shells.)

Humans and parshmen don't have a common ancestor. And as a side note, both of these strains of humanoids predate the ascension of Honor, Cultivation, and Odium."

That WoB could just mean those two humanoids (humans and parsh) come from before the ascension of H, C and O.

Impression I got is that humans of the first wave worshipped Odium. And that there were no humans on Roshar before the first wave. H and C might have ordered the parsh to welcome the humans because the two shardholders were originally from Yolen and felt a slight kinship/responsible for the humans.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

• Chaos locked this topic