Long Game 3: Blackwater Village

Peng the Just

Gamut was neither diverting attention from himself, nor trying to bandwagon and kill someone.  

If you want to see bandwagoning, notice that there are two votes for Forage right now.  If that doesn't change before this day ends, he will die.  And we will have (probably) done the spiked's work for them.

Or we could be really lucky and he could actually be spiked.  But I'm pretty sure "spinner" wasn't one of the roles.  

Then it's a good thing I planned to change my vote! I'm not wanting to see anyone lynched just yet either. I want people talking. The threat that we will lynch them if they don't speak up makes sure that they have to say something. What they say (or lack there of) will at least give us information to work with. 

The fact that Gamut suggested talking and then did none himself is what makes me suspicious of him. If he had put forth some ideas or stated anything other than, "Lynching is bad, Mkay." then I wouldn't have thought it odd at all. 

am curious as to why Wark decided to pick someone that was already voted for. He drove it to the point that a lynching was possible and that makes me suspicious. 

Along those same ideas, why do you feel the need to defend Gamut when there isn't even a vote for him yet? Gamut wasn't even in trouble at this point, but someone else coming forward to defend him is a bit suspicious. Or are you trying to distract others from a lynch on Forage?

Besides bandwagoning isn't just two votes. It's when everyone starts jumping on the same person to the point that there is little hope to change the vote. 

Now, all that said, I'm getting very curious about Alon's whereabouts. I've seen him checking the page multiple times tonight and not saying anything. 

That said, I don't want to cause a new lynch situation, so I'm retracting my vote for Forage and putting it on Mac.

Edit: I already call for an extension. We only have roughly 24 hours left and we haven't even gotten everyone talking yet. As such, I think we'll want the extra time. 

Edited by Metacognition

Dalinar stepped into the square. Cyrus's body had been cleaned up, and he didn't know where they'd put it.

He passed others, one of which, or maybe even two, were murderers.

"I honestly don't know," he said to himself. Some people were voting, and it was sickening.

Mac grumbled as he walked out onto the street. After all Cyrus's talk of allomancy, he had run and hid in the basement room he was renting. Luckily, he had a new book to keep him company while he was hiding from the rest of the villagers. Mac walked up to where the rest of the town was gathered and saw Dryii, dead. He thumbed his stone medallion Forage had sold him and, once again, pondered if it actually worked. I'd rather not find out.

He decided to sit down and listen to what all of the other villagers had to say about the issue to see if he could piece anything he had missed together.

OOC: Sorry guys, almost done with WoR (I'm a slow reader) so I have been AWOL. Meta: I'm not going to vote yet because I need to go back and read a lot of the previous posts to see if I can get a feel for the way things are going.

Selvar walks past Dyrii, pausing for a moment before moving on.

"Hmm... it appears that his cranium had a sudden and unfriendly encounter with a blunt object. I wonder why he's still lying here. Undertaker! We have need of your services."

If I remember correctly, he died of a hit to the head, and I think he hasn't been cleaned up yet. As for my slight inactivity, I've only got my phone for internet connectivity, and I was sidetracked yesterday by all the stuff in the WoR forum. I also spent an hour doing some frequency analysis on the chapter 84 epigraph. I got nowhere, though.

I'll abstain from voting until later this day, as I don't have any sort of feel for whether or not anyone is suspicious yet. I should probably reread the thread, looking for more hints in posts since the game started.

as per the norm, i will cast a no vote on this first day of elimination.

Raubber stared down at the fresh dirt of Cyrus's grave. "rest well friend, we will all be joining you soon, for death comes for all men in the end." from behind he hears a commotion and decides to head towards it. commotions these days mean that someone has died, and he had a job to do. Walking up to the crowd, he hears Dryrii's name and sighs. "move aside people, let me get this job done."

I guess i should start digging my own grave as well, he thought after writing down the measurements. When one seeks vengeance, he should first dig two graves. I will find the ones who are doing this, but it will surely kill me in doing so. I am so tired.

sorry, just got "The Complete Alcatraz" yesterday and i have decided to only enter this game from my computer so that i can use the nice and friend repy options i can't access with my phone.

Edite: grammatical errors fixed... hopefully

Edited by Grayv

CONNECTOR (DURALUMIN FERRING): During the Day Cycle, they can Choose to make their Vote not count. If they do, they can later tap it to make their vote count extra

I couldn't Copy and Paste or Quote, but thats a Shortened Version of the Official Rules. @PENG Does this mean that The Ferring has to Vote in Order to store her/his Vote? I'm not a Ferring

No. the connector can store a no vote. Its just doesn't count. lets have an imaginary game with five people: bob, sue, tom, george, and harry.

bob and sue vote for tom

tom votes for bob

george and harry don't vote, but harry is the connector and stores.

the write up would look like this:

Tom(2)-bob, sue

bob(1)-tom

No vote(1)-george, harry

does that make sense?

I already call for an extension. We only have roughly 24 hours left and we haven't even gotten everyone talking yet. As such, I think we'll want the extra time.

The day seems to just go on and on, the sun making slower than normal progress across the sky. You have about 34 hours now. I should be able to do the write up at about 8 PM EST tommorrow.

Seeing Mabi talk up was relieving to Dane, at the very least she wasn´t going into hidding. "Sadly, we volunteers are not above suspicion. One of us could have joined to keep the other guards from helping Cyrus. I didn´t notice anything strange though, so I appologize for caling you out Mabi. I´m somewhat disstressed. You can most likely emphasize, right?"

regarding Lents: right now he is simply being treated as inactive.

rules issue: please start a new PM group instead of adding people to an existing one. PMs between people shouldn't be 'provable' by adding people to the conversation

Edited by jasonpenguin

"Dane dear,"  Mabi replied, as she had collected herself and dried her tears deciding that with all the doom and gloom that was going around things needed a more cheerful tone. She smiled. "I believe that the word that you are looking for is empathize, not emphasize, although if you did mean emphasize I do wonder what you wanted emphasized." She closed the distance between them reaching out and held his hand squeezing it gently and trying to do her best to comfort him with her smile.  "I'll account your wordplay as part of your distress."  

She let go of his hand moving to his side and whispered in his ear adding a playful tilt to her tone "Although I pray for our future security that you do not find yourself in distress and stumble upon your words when you deal with passing noblemen and ministry members."  She added breathily, "Perhaps you are in need of some practice speaking while under distress."  She put a little more distance between Dane and herself letting him stew on what she said.

Turning to the rest of the people in a more serious tone raising her voice, "If we must do this horrible thing I believe that we ought to look into the people who were not guarding Cyrus last night.  While it does not exonerate myself and the other guards from what occurred one of the things that we do know is that the actual killers killed Cyrus outside of the house.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I certainly could not keep up with Cyrus when he was moving with those powers of his.  If we can isolate those people it will help us to act with more clarity in this awful situation.  This is one of the few pieces of information that we do know at this point."

@Peng I'm assuming that the Spiked person that made the false cries for help, were not part of the people that were at Cyrus' house as your write-up mentions that the sound came from outside.  Additionally I'm presuming that the two killers that you mentioned (not that Mabi has this information) were outside and ready to lay ambush.  Mabi is under the impression that the killer is outside of the guards group because most of them followed each other as part of a group to find Cyrus' body.

She sought out Gamut, making eye contact, "Gamut!  Would you be a dear and help us organize ourselves into who was guarding Cyrus and who elected to stay at home?"

I will vote for no one until further information. Lynching people is what kills us, not the spiked. If we lynch just anyone, we will be doing their work.

To Meta: "Forming conclusions without any information is useless - Sherlock Holmes, paraphrased."  

If everyone votes for a different person then the results will be the same as if everyone hadn't voted at all. It's not much of a threat if a person only has one vote against them, especially if you go and change your vote a few posts later even though the accused hasn't responded. I don't want to have someone lynched unless there's reason to believe that they're spiked, but I'm not opposed to threatening to lynch them if they refuse to participate. 

also think that jasonpenguin is acting quite suspiciously. We should lynch him, unless of-course he provides us with what we need to know.

Well now. People are finally getting the right sense of things. Was what Gamut thought to himself after Mabi's request for a List. Lists were always the obvious superior method for disseminating information. Unlike those archaic tables some people prefer. Gamut shuddered at the thought of information a skewed as such.

"Now. As for who declared to be protecting our dear Captain Cyrus." Gamut said, posting up a list for everyone to see.

•  Dane
  •  Mabi
  •  Joe
  •  Vizzinni
  •  Maw
  •  Wark
  • Xaneth

All of the above 7 openly volunteered to protect our leader. And Maw and Vron were overheard by many muttering they wanted to help, but were going to wait and watch and do so in their own ways. There were a few other mutterings of people who thought it was a bad idea to do so. I am still compiling that information and will update the list promptly.

"Next," Gamut said, "We have votes and suspicions already being thrown around. I will display those as of so far, as well."
 He begins to quickly review everything and begins drawing up a list when he notices out of the corner of his eye Joe tacking up a list of his own with all of the votes so far.
What is this? Gamut asks himself, A rival ListMaker, hm? Poor form. There's not even any bullet-points or color-coding or anything. If he had time, he would put him under his tutelage and teach him the proper art of ListMakingTM. But for now, there was just so little time, and it wasn't worth re-doing any work that somebody has already done.

"I may be skilled in redundancy, but it doesn't mean I practice it." Gamut muttered, walking away and shaking his head. "Me still thinks us throwing these Black Spots around is a bad idea," he warned everybody near him in a louder voice, "I said I support open discussion of our suspicions and getting people to talk and catch them in lies. But you'll accost me for not throwing any names out there myself?

He chuckled and pulled out one of his cigaros and lit it up. "The fact is, I haven't thrown any names around because I have no solid information. Blind accusations like that will do us no good. As long as there are votes up on the board, any Emotional Allomancers can have their way with the vote. And it'd be foolish to consider the Spiked not having at least one of those. We will get justice for Cyrus. But if we just move forward based on whim and not evidence at this point, we are no better than these traitorous spiked monsters."

Forage hears now that some have begun to accuse him of Spiked. This, it makes Forage feel sad. Why still does Meta hate Forage, though Forage has been among the kindest of men to him? Does he not know of the fantastical Words of Radiance that has occupied Forage's time? To deliver copies to satisfy all his customers, and to read it himself, it has made Forage more exhausted than even his loyal Ryshadium. Forage has had no time for the slaying of those former customers, now sadly bespiked.

Gamut, I apologize for stealing your position as Listborn. I had heard of a famous Individual named Aether, who was the Master of the Lists. but since he hadn't shown up, and you were posting so sparcely, I took it apon myself to make a rudimentary List.

That is what Joe should have said, instead he said

"Well then Gamut, if you have a problem with my list, Make a better one!"

• Joe Votes No Kill
  • Meta Suspects Joe
  • Meta Votes Forage
  • Maw Votes Clan
  • Gamut Pleads no Kill
  • Joe Votes Lents
  • Dane Votes Mabi
  • Wark Votes Forage
  • Clan Votes Alon
  • Meta votes Mac
  • Dalinar vote No One
  • Grav Votes No Kill
  • 18th Shard votes No Kill
  • Joe Votes Vizzini the Gleeman
  •  Alon votes No Kill
  • Meta Votes Erendi
  • Bart Votes Erendi
  • Joe Votes Erendi
  • Joe Retracts his Vote

I'll vote Vizzini to get him talking. Hopefully.

Edited by The Only Joe

Closing the book, Alon was surprised to see sunlight streaming in through the window shutters.

"damnation that Forage!  Selling me a book like that, I've gone and missed the night.  Hope Cyrus made it."

Stretching his back, he rose, walked down the stairs and entered the taproom.  Seeing no one was around Alon placed a couple of boxings on the counter and help himself to a glass of red wine.  Heading outside he found a small unoccupied table, sitting down Alon took a small sip before removing his pipe for his coat and begins to smoke.  Hmm, everyone seems a little agitated for some reason.  Guess Cyrus didn't make it after all.

Spotting a passing urchin,  Alon waved him over.

"What's the news boy?"

"Cyrus and the roofer died during the night"

"How?"

"Don't know.  No one will let me see the bodies."

"Thanks anyway,  Here's some coin for your time."

Tossing the kid a few boxings, Alon went back to his smoking and drinking.  Cyrus knew he would die soon but who would want to kill Dyrii?  Wouldn't surprise me if he just fell off some poor fools roof and found a rock waiting for him.

Sorry I haven't posted before.  Finally got my WoR book the other day and spent 18 hours reading it cover to cover.  Been keeping track of game on phone though.  Currently voting no kill.

Edited by Alvron

"Chapter 3:

Be Careful when everyone knows your the Detective, Because Everyone also knows that he is above Suspicion as... 

Wait a min... son of a- 

Who's been messing with my book!

You see? Already we've been getting something out of getting everyone talking. I don't know about the rest of you, but I already have a few suspicions based on their actions and how they've responded. We need to keep everyone talking so they can slip up if they are Spiked. That is the purpose of throwing out random accusations during the early game. Gamut, everyone doesn't have any information. That is the whole purpose of all of this, to get information! No one's vote should be solid at this point in time, due to the incredibly low amount of reason we have. The votes will change with the more information we have. 

Here are my suspicions at this time along with my reasoning:

-Active Players:
  • Gamut - His attitude is incredibly suspicious to me. Not only calling for a no lynch (which I will explain below why that is a bad idea), but then he isn't following his own advice. As I stated above, if you don't throw out a few accusations, then you'll never improve your information. I believe his reluctance and his support of a system that will give the Spiked a few free nights of kills is because he has TOO much information, as in, he knows who the Spiked are due to being one and he's afraid that by making accusations, he will come off as suspicious. 
  • Chid - Chid specifically defended Gamut when all I did was look at him funny. I had only said that Gamut would be worth keeping an eye on and Chid felt that was enough of an accusation that he needed assistance. The Spiked are more likely than the rest of us to be overtly paranoid about becoming a suspect due to their lower numbers. They can't afford to lose too many people too early, so Chid's defense feels presumptuous, or almost exactly what I would expect of a Spiked teammate. On top of that, he backed off incredibly quickly the second I turned my focus on him. Again, possibly worried about being made a suspect so soon. And while his lynching of Peng is hilarious, it is counterproductive. 
  • Wark - Wark was the first to try to drive the vote into lynching territory when we still have little information. I consider this relatively weak as far as everything is concerned, but it is troubling. We do want a lynch, yes, but not without more information.
  • Mabi - Using an RP situation to start casting suspicions is not a good place to start, IMO. As Dane pointed out, even the bodyguards are not above suspicion due to that happening before anyone had even received their role and we are not just looking for those specific two Spiked, but all of them. The balance between the RP side of the game and the strategy side of the game is sometimes difficult to distinguish at times. It is entirely possible though that Mabi is using the RP element similar to how Quiver did in the last game and is using it to misguide us. 
  • Joe - I really don't have much here, just a feeling. Here's another person trying to not get us to lynch. By far my least suspicious person, but still on my list of suspicious people. 
  • Xaneth - Another person trying to make us think that lynching is bad. 

-InActive Players

• Alon - Alon has been checking in, but still hasn't said anything. That in and of itself is suspicious behavior, especially when we need everyone talking and interacting. There is a possibility that the reason he isn't saying much here is because he's saying it elsewhere, like on the Spiked Doc. 
  • Erendi - Has only checked in the once and that was to say that they had hoped that they had gotten bumped out of the game. The only reason I can think of for that is that Erendi received a PM at the beginning of the game, quite possibly a role. Whether or not that is a Spiked role is inconclusive, but unless he pops on, then he likely won't be helping us much.

Now, to explain why we need to lynch:

This is our only reliable means of killing the Spiked. Without it, we only have the Coinshot and they are only one person. I understand why most people are reluctant to actually lynch someone, but for us to get more information, we must first gain information. Each and every death tells us something even if we accidentally lynch one of our own. It help us confirm/deny suspicions, it will tell us who voted for whom and how the vote-changing roles acted. We'll be able to see if anyone tried to distract from a lynch target onto someone else. We'll be able to confirm who the target was and so on and so forth. This is how we get information. We will never have enough information to lynch only the Spiked, especially with our Seeker dead. That is what the Spiked are trying to do, keep us from feeling secure in our lynches. If you're waiting for the Spiked to come out and RP themselves as shady or evil, you're sadly mistaken. 

This idea that lynching is doing the Spiked's job for them is naive. We don't get any information out of not lynching. Even if we discuss and and accuse and such all day, we have no way to confirm our suspicions without lynching someone. Right now, we need to try to get as much as we can from everyone, so that when we do lynch, we do so with as much information as we can. 

With that in mind, I'm calling you out, Erendi. If you're a Villager, we need you in here. If you're Spiked, then I have no problems lynching you." 

Meta slumped into a chair, and grabbed a pitcher of water next to him. He gulped it down as if he were dying of thirst. Perhaps he was; he was covered in sweat. 

It was a good speech though and after he practiced it a few more times in the mirror, he might be able to get his sweating under control enough that he would actually be able to say it all out in front of the village!

Edit: Darn it Alon! I've been working on this for the last hour! :P

Edited by Metacognition

Could be. ;)

It's more that I think you've been subtly trying to distract and keep people from gathering information, but that could just as much be from inexperience than it is from being Spiked. 

I keep my suspicions fluid and open to change, so just because you or anyone else is on my list doesn't mean that you will stay there. 

On a side note: Peng, with as wonky as the site has been today, will you be taking that into account for our time or do we just have to live with it?

Edited by Metacognition

Gamut sighed. This is what you get by trying to take control and protect people. You try and be the glue. And people make you out to be some bloody sprectre. He was starting to get be wary of this Meta, fellow, though. Good thing hiding things was what Gamut was best at.

"If anything, I'm beginning to suspect this so-called detective." *Ahem* He cleared his throat and began to read from a scrap piece of paper he produced from his pocket. "If no one speaks up against a lynch, then you're likely doing the work of these killers for them. They are a devious lot and they relish in letting us kill each other. As I write this, they will know these thoughts and try to confuse you, but be wary."... sound familiar, Meta? Those are your words.

Remember, be nice. He could still be on your side, even if he does give you a headache. Gamut had to remind himself, some people still thought this was just a game.

"But you've got me full attention now, Meta. Don't worry, ye ain't got me Black Spot just yet. But I'm voicing me thoughts, savvy?"

This is too big for me to flee. I have to stay and remain in the centre. Gamut stopped and looked inside himself for the hidden answers. This time,he knew he wasn't going to be second last. 'E was the key.

OOC: I'm just trying to make Gamut sound a little huffy Trying to play up on the Detective and me hiding my shady past gambit. XD. Writing RP like a pirate can sometimes be a little cryptic.

Edit: Grammar. :/
Hidden Code of my Role. ;)

Edited by Gamma Fiend