[OB] Oathbringer roll call

Steeldancer

@Rider of Storms @RandyD

Congrats on finding the book! Was it in the US?

and what is the book doing on your shelf????

and why are you spending time on the computer???

if I were you — I would be reading!

but thanks for sharing your story.   I was out running errands today and went out of my way to look for it — but no luck. It’s better I spend my time getting my life in order so I can disappear and read next week. Seriously — I’ve already told my kids that they are not allowed to get sick or injured next week or need anything. I’ve arranged carpools so I don’t have to drive, rescheduled orthodontist appointments, and made sure to see the high-school  plays this week instead of next week, and have most the grocery shopping done and the meals planned for next week. (I don’t have the luxury of taking time off work. Mom is a 24/7/365 demanding job)

This thread has cracked me up. Thanks for the laughs!

Edited by JoyBlu
Spelling

9 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

@Rider of Storms @RandyD

Congrats on finding the book! Was it in the US?

and what is the book doing on your shelf????

and why are you spending time on the computer???

if I were you — I would be reading!

but thanks for sharing your story.   I was out running errands today and went out of my way to look for it — but no luck. It’s better I spend my time getting my life in order so I can disappear and read next week. Seriously — I’ve already told my kids that they are not allowed to get sick or injured next week or need anything. I’ve arranged carpools so I don’t have to drive, rescheduled orthodontist appointments, and made sure to see the high-school  plays this week instead of next week, and have most the grocery shoooing done and the meals planned for next week. 

This thread has cracked me up. Thanks for the laughs!

Glad you enjoyed the posts!

The book was on the shelf because we wanted to see how beautiful with the others. After the pic we promptly read the first Interludes.

Unfortunately (for me) my friend took the book home, as he bought it, but we're going to pass it back and forth until Tuesday because we have this interesting idea on how we want to go through it together and react to the same stuff. I am suffused only because of the epicness of our adventure and the extra bit of book I got to read. But! I get it back tomorrow evening when I can catch up to what my friend is undoubtedly reading as we speak.

In the meanwhile, I'm rereading Part One on Tor.

EDIT: Sorry, missed a question. We are not in the States, we're in Canada. I'm pretty sure our bookstores have the same policies. I hope they didn't get in too much trouble for our purchase. :ph34r:

EDIT2: @Marethyu316 The pages feel thin, but I didn't go back through WoR to check. It's over 1200 pages, so it's definitely something to do with that.

Edited by Rider of Storms

10 minutes ago, Rider of Storms said:

The book was on the shelf because we wanted to see how beautiful with the others. After the pic we promptly read the first Interludes.

What??? He’s not reading it to you over the phone????

ok, I forgive you for spending time posting since you don’t actually have the book currently in your possession. 

I bet it’s awesome reading a book to gather with your friend. That’s what I have loved about the slow release of these chapters. My friends in real life can’t read ahead of me! We have an entire week to discuss it. 

My teenage son has a “Sanderson Shelf” in his bedroom that I’ve seen him take pictures of to send to his friends. (After Christmas last year when we finished his Cosmere Hard Copy Collection — looks like you have the same collection.) He is so protective of those books that I had to go buy my own dang copies. (He wouldn’t let me write / take notes in them) I keep them under my bed because when I can’t sleep at night I grab them to read. An interlude here or there is a great bedtime story. No pretty shelf for me. 

@Marethyu316

good point on OB looking smaller. I wonder why too. 

Edited by JoyBlu

11 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

What??? He’s not reading it to you over the phone????

ok, I forgive you for spending time posting since you don’t actually have the book currently in your possession. 

My teenage son has a “Sanderson Shelf” in his bedroom that I’ve seen him take pictures of to send to his friends. (After Christmas last year when we finished his Cosmere Hard Copy Collection — looks like you have the same collection.) He is so protective of those books that I had to go buy my own dang copies. (He wouldn’t let me write / take notes in them) I keep them under my bed because when I can’t sleep at night I grab them to read. An interlude here or there is a great bedtime story. No pretty shelf for me. 

good point on OB looking smaller. I wonder why too. 

Yeah, he "doesn't read aloud" <_<

My own Sanderson collection (granted my dad bought most of them) Spoilered for size:

IMG_9992.JPG

13 minutes ago, Rider of Storms said:

My own Sanderson collection (granted my dad bought most of them) Spoilered for size:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_9992.JPG

Impressive. The only thing I can even guess you are missing besides OB is the new “cute” Edgedancer novella. Must be on your wish list. 

“Everything I have in my collection — you have too”. — imagine that being said to the tune of Jack Black in the movie Nacho Libre — But you have lots more than me.

I love it that you have so many of the early editions  

the RAFO card is awesome too! I want one of those  

Edited by JoyBlu

12 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

Impressive. The only thing I can even guess you are missing besides OB is the new “cute” Edgedancer novella. Must be in your wish list. 

“Everything I have in my collection — you have too”. — imagine that being said to the tune of Jack Black in the movie Nacho Kivre

I love it that you have so many of the early editions  

I think I have a post on reddit that details each book, if you're interested in editions (link in the spoiler). It was a few months back instead of today so a few things are different. But for the most part, they're signed an numbered first editions with a few exceptions. Since then we've added Snapshot (#290) and the "newer" Alcatraz book 1 to match the rest.

I'll probably get the Edgedancer eventually, but I do have both stories in it already so it's not a huge priority. I don't think I've seen it in town but I almost did buy it a couple weeks ago when I was in a Barnes and Noble in another city (settled on a leatherbound "Complete works of Edgar Allan Poe" instead).

If you want to talk further, maybe you should PM me so we don't derail the thread too much :P

I don't read outloud that is true but I am still reading it what about you Mr Rider ;)  heh

And boy must I say this book is great! You guys are gonna love it!

@Rider of Storms I need to get this to you tomorrow so we can discuss and have good times! 

@JoyBlu I wish I had his collection currently my only real book (as in not ebook) from Sanderson (and pretty much only book in general) is Oathbringer. 

I should probably get back to reading now...

5 hours ago, Rider of Storms said:

UPDATE, GUYS

It WORKED.

Before you ask, no, we didn't steal anything.

So there I was, feeling antsy, sitting and wishing I had Oathbringer. Remembering my friend's escapade from yesterday (you can read about it above), hatched a plan. I figured I'd let my friend in on it, combining my optimism and his luck (any time he's in the car with me, green lights all the way).

"So," I say, "We should go to the bookstore downtown (the one from yesterday's story was a different one. They already knew our tricks) and...and just see if they have it. Maybe we'll at least get to hold it, and page through Part One for art. Yes I'm desperate."

"Okay," He said, "Pick me up at 3:50." He was clearly only into this for my benefit, but I didn't care. I really was desperate.

So the time comes and he gets into the car, and off we go to the bookstore. We knew it probably wouldn't work, but there was at least a chance, and we were gonna take it. We get our stories straight that we are just two average young adults who heard the book was coming out this week, and do you have it in the back?

That story wasn't necessary. 

We arrived at the bookstore to find that the book was ON THE SHELVES! We took a minute or twenty to look through at a few things, like art, and who has the chapters in Part Two (yenno, nothing spoilery), just in case this was the only chance we had, and we met the fate that my friend did yesterday: Walking out book-less.

Then my friend realized: He didn't have his wallet, and we only had half an hour 'til closing! We left, trying not to think of the fact that that may have been our last experience from Oathbringer this week, and trying to look as innocuous and nonchalant as possible.

We get to his house, grab the wallet, and practically race back (that is, until we were followed by a police car, and couldn't speed). Looking at the time, my pulse quickened even more, and I started shaking. Would we make it in time?

Getting to the store for a second time, hoping they didn't recognize us from before, we promptly walked over to the books. They were blessedly still there.

As we only had time to go back for one of the wallets (and the fact that I have no money), my friend paid for the book while I wondered the stacks, stroking another copy of Oathbringer, ready to hide it in case they came to put them away, having discovered the release date. It all came down to this moment. Would they notice, or was our blessed book free?

I heard words spoken, but I was too far away to make them out. I heard the beeps of machines, but that could have meant anything. 

Then I saw my friend, my dear friend walking down the aisle of novels towards me, with a grin on his face, Oathbringer in hand. He'd done it.

Trying our hardest to look innocent while shaking, we left the store. It was nearly impossible not to skip and whoop for joy, but as soon as we made it to the car, whoop we did.

Pinging my friend @RandyD

Haha! Storm you!( yes, i ve given up into the SA swears) just when i vot used to the idea that i will have to wait until tuesday, you post this and make me want to start the bookstore search again !:angry: why do i put myself up for dissapointment, i don t know..

But nice story & enjoy your reading!

damnation people are already getting their books.I won't be getting mine delivered until 20th (benifits of living in developing country)and since I am out of town I will not be able to read it until 24-25th.I can't even go around town hunting for bookshops because I am currently working in a village which has no bookstore.

Can't even make my friend read it to me over phone cause this place does not even have stable phone network .I will just assume the release date is 24 instead 14. 

7 hours ago, Marethyu316 said:

Why does it actually look smaller than WoR? I've actually wondered why WoR is so much bigger than WoK, when it's only 80 pages longer. Did they do something different with the paper?

Yes. The paper isn't as thick. I think Peter posted about it on Reddit recently.

Edit: here you go:

Edited by Salkara

Ugggggh!!! I feel so unlucky! I read on reddit about a local website that delivers the book in 1-2 days, which would be perfect if I wouldn't be out of the city for the weekend. I feel like i'm chasing 100 rabbits without catching one. I know nobody cares, but i'm so frustrated that i didn't discover this sooner. Since last saturday I've been in a constant stress mood :(

3 minutes ago, mariapapadia said:

Ugggggh!!! I feel so unlucky! I read on reddit about a local website that delivers the book in 1-2 days, which would be perfect if I wouldn't be out of the city for the weekend. I feel like i'm chasing 100 rabbits without catching one. I know nobody cares, but i'm so frustrated that i didn't discover this sooner. Since last saturday I've been in a constant stress mood :(

I'm going to be away from home when mine would be delivered as well, I just preordered the Audiobook instead, so I can download it at midnight.

I don't know if that's an option for you, but its something.

14 minutes ago, Cowmanthethird said:

I'm going to be away from home when mine would be delivered as well, I just preordered the Audiobook instead, so I can download it at midnight.

I don't know if that's an option for you, but its something.

• noo, my big drama ( that everyone is sick to hear about ) is that I wanted to get the book earlier :( It will be in the bookstore on the 14 so I can just go and get it then, but I'll be spending 10 hours in a train this weekend so it would've been perfect (I am aware this is a first world problem and there are others who have it worse than me, but I just like to complain ) Also, I am not that great with audiobooks. I get distracted really easily if I don't have the text in front of me so I just want to savor it on paper :wub:

How much a minute would you charge to read it to me over the phone? 

On 11/7/2017 at 2:58 PM, CaptainRyan said:

With or without safehand covered during the call?

Honey who are you talking too!.....

Jake..... from state farm lol

44c521925ed4be9b27948c29aedf2192_400x400.jpeg

Edited by PunSpren

@mariapapadia I feel your pain. I've also been trying to track it down before the weekend, but I'm in the US so I haven't had high hopes. At this point, the best I can hope for is UPS delivering it a day early. It happened with A Memory of Light so I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that history repeats itself.

I'm sorry you've had to go through so many trials and tribulations tracking down the book, but I've quite enjoyed reading your reports. :)

@Starla haha! I'm glad someone is amused by my adventures at least! Stay tunned for the "Oathbringer search" Oslo version this weekend! I'll need to complain more :ph34r: Be strong!

@StormingTexan I feel you. This is how I spent my lunch breaks and evenings this week and this is how i will spend my weekend(well not driving, but searching). I'm not giving up! 

I've been everywhere. 16 bookstores in a 250 mile area. I'm afraid that as far as the state of Texas goes this book is on lockdown until the 14th. It really sucks because the wife and kid are visiting with family until Tuesday. I literally have nothing to do but stare at the walls until then. 

After a failed attempt to get a copy early from my nearest small time bookstore (due to them catching the mistake at the register), I have devised a new strategy in order to be able to start reading Oathbringer this weekend.

This strategy operates on the assumption that the only impediment is that the book CANNOT leave the store until opening on 11/14

With this in mind, I'll be going back to the store to offer whatever supervisor is available the following proposition:

1. I will reserve and pre-pay for a copy of my book

2. I will "check out" the book from them with my wallet, that they will keep until I return the book to the customer service desk

3. I will sit quietly in their comfy reading area and read my book, never taking the copy outside the store.

4. When I am done for the day, I will return my book to their safe keeping, take my wallet, and leave. 

5. Come back the next business day and repeat

After reading that storming post on TOR with the Beta reader chapter reactions, I just can't wait until Tuesday without TRYING to do something. Wish me luck...

Edited by DeployParachute
Typo

50 minutes ago, DeployParachute said:

After reading that storming post on TOR with the Beta reader chapter reactions, I just can't wait until Tuesday without TRYING to do something. Wish me luck..

It’s like why did I torture myself with this?!??

Tried a couple more stores today no luck. I figure it’s highly unlikely to find it mistakenly placed out at a national chain so I’ve been going to small bookstores but there are very few in  my area so I’m throwing in the towel. 

I’ve pre-ordered all three media’s and I’ll just wait until Tuesday. 

Edited by StormingTexan