[OB] Amaram's Greedy Little Fingers

Crucible of Shards

I'm really annoyed that we're so far through part 1 and the Blade hasn't been mentioned again.
Like, I can't fathom Adolin not having gone back to check after the second murder to see if it was still there.

I feel like it's already been found we just haven't been told that yet.

9 hours ago, Wreith said:

I'm really annoyed that we're so far through part 1 and the Blade hasn't been mentioned again.
Like, I can't fathom Adolin not having gone back to check after the second murder to see if it was still there.

I believe the Blade was carried away. I can't believe a Shardblade was left there without any single Spren notice it. Sure Urithuru is a weird place but I assume a materialzated Blade would be like a giant signal for Cognitive Beings

Interesting point. Is there a prevailing theory about the missing blades?

During the Recreance, Dalinar noted that they were many more Shardblades shown than he knew of existing in the world.

Do the spren come by to "bury" their dead if the blades are left alone? If this is the case then it would explain the hundreds of missing Shardblades. Every time a shardbearer died (traveling, wilderness, shipwreck) and the body and blade were not found soon enough, another Shardblade would be lost.

On 10/24/2017 at 3:17 PM, Wreith said:

Same. I feel like someone has it but having it in your possession makes you a suspect so they are not exactly going to come out and say it. 

Edit: R.I.P. Littlefinger

Edited by StormingTexan

I don't see a dual Shardblades weilder as a good idea for everyone to performe.

The 10 styles are studiare for a One weapon and you will Need to start again to develop a new decent stance.

Much more you are deny of a free hand to performe many trick or enforce your grip. I see this mainly as a Shardbearer VS Shardbearer fight as in other kind of fight One or two Blades don't change much

5 hours ago, Yata said:

I don't see a dual Shardblades weilder as a good idea for everyone to performe.

The 10 styles are studiare for a One weapon and you will Need to start again to develop a new decent stance.

Much more you are deny of a free hand to performe many trick or enforce your grip. I see this mainly as a Shardbearer VS Shardbearer fight as in other kind of fight One or two Blades don't change much

Um, it does change something- the level of awesomeness. 

Amaram's not greedy. Amaram's a psychopath who will do whatever he thinks will usher the Heralds and return power to the Vorin Church. For the good of mankind, as he sees it. He's really quite selfless, I think. Just... selfless with a bad, misguided purpose.

I suspect Adolin doesn't want to look for the sword because it would be suspicious. There's no reason to think that the murderer wouldn't keep the blade, so he has no great excuse to go digging around on balconies below the crime scene. Plus if anyone finds it they'd be obligated to return it to Ialai, I think. Adolin is probably just hoping someone else finds it and runs away with.

24 minutes ago, jofwu said:

Plus if anyone finds it they'd be obligated to return it to Ialai, I think.

Not necessarily; I believe that the general rule of Shardblade ownership is if you have it it's yours (see the scene with Kaladin in Hearthstone). It may be a bit more complicated with the murder issue, but if the holder was cleared it would probably be his.

Some shards are loaned out (e.g. the King's blades) but I was always under the impression that the terms were reinforced with the "we will hunt you down and kill you if you keep them" clause.  

It occurs to me to wonder why Adolin would move the Blade but not the body.

"If they weren't gonna take it, why not just leave it alone? Why throw it out the window?"

Also, I agree that there would be no obligation to return it, but you're gonna be accused of murdering a Highprince

21 minutes ago, kmosiman said:

Not necessarily; I believe that the general rule of Shardblade ownership is if you have it it's yours (see the scene with Kaladin in Hearthstone). It may be a bit more complicated with the murder issue, but if the holder was cleared it would probably be his.

13 minutes ago, Wreith said:

Also, I agree that there would be no obligation to return it, but you're gonna be accused of murdering a Highprince

I disagree, in this case.

I think you have to claim responsibility for Sadeas if you claim the Blade. You can't say, "I found this and I'm keeping it, but I didn't kill him." This isn't a battlefield, where death happens and the first person to pick up the Shards is the winner. Assassination is different. I think Ialai would make a claim that they don't belong to you, and I think she would have enough support that your only options are to turn them over or have them forcibly taken from you.

The rule isn’t ‘finders keepers’ - it’s about killing the old owner; you kill a shard bearer in combat, you’ve earned his shards. That’s why one of the last times a shardbearer was taken down, he was swarmed by darkeyes and then a lighteyed archer rust an arrow through a broken section of plate. The archer got the shards, not the spearmen who were close enough to grab them. 

If if someone found Oathbringer, they either returned it to Ialai (and she’s sitting on it for now) or more likely they hid themselves away for a week so they could bond it in secret. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:26 AM, Crucible of Shards said:

Simple enough theory: With Amaram now in a position of power and able to act (relatively) without impediment, he will investigate Sadeas' death in earnest and find Oathbringer, thus achieving the original concept of him as a dual Shardblade wielder.

Isnt a six foot long shardblade more of a two-handed weapon?

I think that shardblades are typically wielded with two hands, but there are times in the text where a particular strike was done one handed.  The example I'm thinking of is when Adolin deflected a blade strike with his gauntlet and used his blade one handed in a counter strike.  This was during one of duels in WoR if remember correctly.

19 minutes ago, notsawerd said:

I think that shardblades are typically wielded with two hands, but there are times in the text where a particular strike was done one handed.  The example I'm thinking of is when Adolin deflected a blade strike with his gauntlet and used his blade one handed in a counter strike.  This was during one of duels in WoR if remember correctly.

Flamestance is semi-one-handed from the Dual in WoR ch 14. 
Specifically described as better for shorter Blades

3 hours ago, jofwu said:

He's really quite selfless, I think. Just... selfless with a bad, misguided purpose.

Thank you! I have been making this argument for about two years.

3 hours ago, kmosiman said:

Some shards are loaned out (e.g. the King's blades) but I was always under the impression that the terms were reinforced with the "we will hunt you down and kill you if you keep them" clause.  

There is no need for this, the people who are borrowing the blades aren't bonded to them. They can just be re-summoned by presumably Elokar or whomever actually has said loaned blade bonded to them.

25 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

There is no need for this, the people who are borrowing the blades aren't bonded to them. They can just be re-summoned by presumably Elokar or whomever actually has said loaned blade bonded to them.

Not really, the guy could simply remove the gemstone breaking the Bond and the King can't re-summon it

On the subject of dual-wielding bound Shardblades: we have certainly seen a case where a live and dead Blade have interacted - this results in screams in the Radiant's mind. Have we ever seen a case where someone has held two dead Blades that are bonded directly to them? It would be interesting to see if a similar reaction would occur; after all, I don't think we have confirmation that the screams are 100% the result of the bonded, live spren. It could be that simply the presence of two spren (even when dead) in a person's mind will result in the same interference.

Edited by Isaiah Zayth

2 hours ago, StormblessDave said:

Isnt a six foot long shardblade more of a two-handed weapon?

Also @notsawerd

Ordinarily, yes. There would be too much metal and the weight would require two hands to wield. This is why these extremely long swords were almost never used except in the instance of killing horse and rider in one swing (i.e. the japanese tanbato).

However, shardblades weigh a fraction of the weight they should for that much steel, so they can be used one-handed by even ordinary un-shardplated men. Your control isn’t as good with one hand though, which is why most of the stances use two. Your swings are more controlled so the blade goes along the path you want it to.

Combine that with the augmented strength of shardplate, and yes, one could easily dual-wield shardblades. It wouldn’t be advisable, though, since you would put your surrounding soldiers at twice the risk. 

9 minutes ago, Yata said:

Not really, the guy could simply remove the gemstone breaking the Bond and the King can't re-summon it

No, this isn't true.  This was something that Brandon Sanderson considered doing but did not actually write into the universe.  I even remember an interview where he mentioned that HE forgot he didn't do that and had a scene he wrote for Oathbringer that he had to re-do after a beta reader pointed this out to him.

3 minutes ago, Lazarus52980 said:
14 minutes ago, Yata said:

No, this isn't true.  This was something that Brandon Sanderson considered doing but did not actually write into the universe.  I even remember an interview where he mentioned that HE forgot he didn't do that and had a scene he wrote for Oathbringer that he had to re-do after a beta reader pointed this out to him.

Right. Navani determines in WoR that the gems are only necessary for the initial bonding. They don't maintain the bond. That's how Dalinar sets up his trap for Amaram with a Blade without a gem.

Presumably, it would take at least 7 days to switch a bond to yourself by attaching your own gem. I don't know if that would even work, though.