[OB] Oathbringer chapters 25-27

Mestiv

22 minutes ago, dendrophobe said:

First on-screen appearance of an Unmade?

I don't think so.  I'm pretty Sure those stormstriders are also unmade.  Dalinar saw one in his flashback, and Kaladin and Shallan saw a couple heading towards Narak while they were in the chasms.

Also, I don't think we knew that the Unmade (assuming that's what it is) mimics the killer, as well as recreating the murder.  I'm guessing that Shallan will somehow discover who killed Perel and will notice they look suspiciously similar to Adolin...

The Stormstriders seem to be connected to Highstorms. Also, there seem to be more than one of the same sort. Aren't the Unmade unique, each with its own name and set of powers? 

If the Stormstriders are Voidspren or not...It just seems really strange to me that noone really seems to care about giant things walking around during Highstorm. Even if sensible people stay indoors, in a few thousand years there must have been a few more idiots going out. This should have sparked some interest....

1 minute ago, Blacksmithki said:

Hah I guessed we would see the copycat in action! What are the odds shallen finds someone like herself to bait the copycat into attacker her? Just stab that person in the hand and stay on your guard around a day later!

Could lightweaving work?

He is, for all intents, Highprince Sadeas now. I would ask the king to ratify this."

Sanderson did it. He found a way to take two of the most hated Stormlight characters and make them one.

Also, really surprised about the Adolin-Helaran reveal. Here I thought it was going to be something later in the book, and Adolin just casually reveals it in a chat.

Blackthorn was scary as usual, but it looked like Dalinar was starting to change slightly more towards the person he is in the present.

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith

Oh man, where to start.

The story Shallan told Pattern, in the amphitheater?  The little girl on the other side of the wall?  Who climbed the scary spikes only to find many years ago that her people were the evil the wall was built to keep out?  I wonder if that was originally a Listener story?  I also wonder at the ending, it seemed a little too rushed to be the real ending, it felt like a lie.

“No,” Shallan said, Stormlight puffing from her lips. “She goes down, sees a perfect society lit by Stormlight. She steals some and brings it back. The storms come as a punishment, tearing down the wall.”

IT built and built, with no pay off.  I wonder what the story would have been if she had not been overwhelmed by her memories of her childhood.

Then creepy kandra-type spren shows up and is creepy!  But more telling, she sends out many of her images. Shallan in a dress, Veil in a coat, Shallan as a child, wearing Radiant, as a youth, as a soldier, as a happy mother, a wife.  That is at least eight different versions blazing out from her as she is infused with light.  Almost nine, just saying.  Mix that with the unconscious darkness in the next chapter.  Drawing a twisted pattern?  Twisted Pattern? Something mistwraith-y and Lovecraftian consuming horses, and the void.  damnation Shallan, you're scaring me.

Plus, Amaram is Sadeas now, that is messed up.  Kaladin will not be happy.  Also, Adolin, you idiot.  "I hate him because he has my brother's shards, he totally killed my brother."  "Uh, no, Shallan, actually he didn't.  Kaladin did.  You hate the wrong guy."  What the hell, where was the smart, sensitive Adolin from last chapter?

Also, NOT ROCK'S COOKING HAND!  He needs that, for stew.  Did I mention that creepy spren is creepy?  Definitely not a Kandra, the bones would not have worked through that passage.  So how far into the physical realm are the Odiumspren?

Blackthorn killing horses and his own men.  Not cool.  Nice to see him swear to never be king.  Speaking of being king, nice of Elhokar to show up to the meeting, but after making a big deal of being King and overseeing the politics of Alethkar independent of Highking Dalinar, it would be nice if he actually showed up, rather than just being reactionary.

Why are the cities going dark?  Are they just ignoring Dalinar, like the Highprinces did, or is it worse?  And how did Kaladin mange to sneak the spanreed?

Let's see, what else, what else, what else?  The copy cat is committing the exact same violence, the exact same way.  But it is worth noting that Shallan was wearing Veil's face when she approached Rock, and he did not accuse her of stabbing him.  So our copy cat spren is copying the exact same victim type - build and injuries, but not the face of the killer.  That is interesting.  Does it attempt to copy the killers face? Was it not able to copy Shallan's because she weras so many?  Does it always wear the same face?  Does it have a face?

Amaram.  Common courtesy dictates that you do not walk through the projection on someone else's projection.  Not cool.  Also, better good?  Screw you - lamest justification ever.

That's it for now till I read everyone else's comments, and the chapters again.

He watches! The Black piper in the night. He holds us in his palm... playing a tune that no man can hear!

Enthralled, he cut down foe after foe, sensing a strange rhythm to the fighting, as if the blows of his sword needed to fall to the dictates of some unseen beat. A redness grew at the edges of his vision, eventually covering the landscape like a veil. It seemed to shift and move like the coils of an eel, trembling to the beats of his sword.

So assuming that first death rattle refers to an Unmade, and because we know Nergaoul is responsible for the thrill, maybe all or at least some of the Unmade exercise their powers by manipulating rhythms somehow?

*Edited since I had the wrong Unmade for the thrill

Edited by Ryder

1 minute ago, Stark said:

The story Shallan told Pattern, in the amphitheater?  The little girl on the other side of the wall?  Who climbed the scary spikes only to find many years ago that her people were the evil the wall was built to keep out?  I wonder if that was originally a Listener story?  I also wonder at the ending, it seemed a little too rushed to be the real ending, it felt like a lie.

That's actually an anime

Has every color of strata mentioned so far also correspond to a gemstone?

I'm fond of the 'Odium is invested in stone' theory, and if that is the case, Urithiru having stone that is 'safe' (per Szeth) and invested with Stormlight might make sense.

It was the KR home base after all, and being able to draw Stormlight from the very walls would be a helluva defense mechanism.

Anyone else get Ruin vibes from Dalinar's battle scene? We know that Odium is playing the long game. He is still trapped on Braise, (whatever that entails) but can make use of the Unmade. Considering how we have seen Shards manipulate humans, this must be something like that, if only a little piece.

10 minutes ago, Aon Ene said:

Did anyone else think about Warbreaker when the white-haired girl was mentioned in Shallan's story?

I actually kinda thought about Shallash - from the endpaper painting.  With the white hair.  While unconsciously filling the details with things she did not know, or had not drawn before.  So what was filling the gaps for her?  What was fueling the images?

Spark!  That's not going to make people think of Duatbringers and firespren at all, is it?  Nope, not even the teensiest bit.  But hey, likes to take things apart and see how they work?  So, surgeons and engineers?  Or just people who are to interested to see what's inside to do it slow and careful so you can reassemble after?  It would be cool if engineers were ideal candidates for Dustbringing.  And no real hint of Spark's gender, yet.  

“Mmm…” Pattern said. “It will be worse when she starts destroying things.”

“Destroying?”

“Dustbringer,” Pattern said. “Her spren… mmm… they like to break what is around them. They want to know what is inside.”

This was hilarious.  The only thing that would have been better would be Brandon hard core trolling the people asking if non-cosmere works are cosmere by have her spren being named Alcatraz....

Oh Adolin you well meaning but dumb boob, that was about the worst thing you could have said at that point. 

Also Oooh creepy not!Kandra spren, I wonder if it's one of the singular named Unmade or simply one of a sub-voidspren "species". It's ability to affect the physical (and murder people)  seems unprecedented compared to all other spren we have seen so far, so I wonder that's up with that. 

1 minute ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Has every color of strata mentioned so far also correspond to a gemstone?

I'm fond of the 'Odium is invested in stone' theory, and if that is the case, Urithiru having stone that is 'safe' (per Szeth) and invested with Stormlight might make sense.

It was the KR home base after all, and being able to draw Stormlight from the very walls would be a helluva defense mechanism.

I like it. I like it a lot. Please post a thread on it so I can give you another upvote.