[OB] That internal struggle!

Head Crabs

So this isnt a theory, but i was curious if anyone else was having the same struggle that i have. 

It's really exciting to get up on tuesdays and rush over to tor and read the new chapters. But in the back of my head i know that once the book finally gets released i will be going back to read from the beginning again! While these glimpses into story are illuminating and exciting, i cant help but feel that it might be more satisfying to cut myself off until the 14th and read it in the complete form. 

That said, i am 100% sure that i will be unable to restrain myself once tuesday rolls around again and i'll be right back here to discuss the latest chapters! 

Anyone else having internal battles about wanting to preserve your oathbringer virginity but not being able to fight the phermones that tor wafts in our direction every week? 

I don't really see this as problem. Yeah I'll start back at the beginning when I actually get the book, but seeing something familiar in the beginning gets me back into the world faster.

It's the same reason I read the previews of other books that most series include at the end. Granted this is a significantly larger preview than one would normally get.

It won't be any more or less satisfying having waited. We're seeing the beginning here. The set up. You'd have similar thoughts as you read through the whole book anyway. And the truly epic stuff is rarely in the first quarter. 

Spending time here building expectations based on theories might mess things up, but that's a separate  deal. 

Just... Don't expect us to be right. This forum is... A little on the wild side as far as predictions go. 

Well, these days I listen to audiobooks instead of reading. So on the one hand it'll be a different experience the second time through.

But on the other hand audiobooks take way longer to go through, so I'll be on the stuff I've already read forrreevverr before I get to the new stuff.

But on the other other hand, I also intend to listen to the Graphic Audio when that gets made. It better get made.

I've taken 11/14 through 11/17 off of work. I'm going to start reading OB from where the preview chapters end... but I also plan on reading the entire thing a second time in that week, so maybe that's the same as rereading the preview chapters?

59 minutes ago, Salkara said:

I've taken 11/14 through 11/17 off of work. I'm going to start reading OB from where the preview chapters end... but I also plan on reading the entire thing a second time in that week, so maybe that's the same as rereading the preview chapters?

Sadly I don't get to claim three days for reading so I plan to read it in three days anyways.

Unfortunately for me, I simply don't have the time to inhale Oathbringer as soon as it comes back, nor do I have the discipline to hold it at arms length and take small bites. Reading the early chapters is a healthy concession for me because when the book comes out I can just jump in where the early chapters left off and have that much less book to keep me from midterms, homework, and class projects. I will not be starting over when it comes out; though, I will certainly do a whole reread at the soonest (read: summer) opportunity.

Nah. If you feel that the serialization is hurting your enjoyment then stop....if it's not them keep on trucking brother, what's the harm?

Sanderson is getting our money regardless. This is just to build hype and allow Sanderson to show his fans some love (and so he can laugh at our theories each week).

Btw, first thing I'm doing when I get my book is going to Moash! Need to know what my boy is up to.

From there it's on to Eshonai to learn if she survived. Then I will start from the beginning like a normal person.

I had the exact same thoughts. Every week I try to resist, because I have so much else to do, but I inevitably get nothing done until I've read the new chapters.

The book comes out just as I finish exams, and I have a few days off before I go back to work, so I know exactly what I'm spending that time on!

I'm loving the serialisation format. It make me savour every chapter, and gives me a week to consider and pick over every detail. I love to binge read too, and I will once Oathbringer is release, but this is a different type of fun.

I also like that this community is all reading the book together too. I'm getting much more out of the experience, reading three chapters, then coming here to see everyone's real time responses, and share my own. I've been a member of this site for 4 years, and through many Sanderson books, but it's only now that I've really been drawn in enough to post, and I that's definitely due to the episodic release schedule.

See, I'll read/listen to the same book 12 or 14 times anyway. So the serialization of the first few chapters is A-OK in my eyes.

I am also one of the rare few who is perfectly fine with spoilers.

I'll get the E-Book and inhale it in the first 3 or 4 days and then get the Audiobook so i can get all of the details that I missed.

It's like Stephen King said. Audio is the perfect format for seeing the whole story, because it eliminates the tendency for your brain to gloss over parts of the story. 

4 minutes ago, IllNsickly said:

It's like Stephen King said. Audio is the perfect format for seeing the whole story, because it eliminates the tendency for your brain to gloss over parts of the story. 

I agree completely with Mr King. I always listen nowadays. When I read I can't stop my eyes from skipping ahead. Anytime there's a " my eyes shoot straight to it. I try to refocus but they just keep going back. So now I read along with a narrator and I don't miss anything. No more skipping paragraphs and reading each page in the wrong order.

I’m a big fan of audio as well. It helps too Michael and Kate are narrating. Whispersync mode is my favorite, reading along with the narrator. 

I’m torn on if I’ll skip the preview chapters the first run through or not. Knowing myself I think I will skip them.

On 2017-10-18 at 1:20 PM, The Invested Beard said:

Resistance is futile.

You willl be assimilated. 

Because we cant hold off on this. It’s just too juicy. 

Also, I’m with @Varion - the serialization makes discussing and theorizing so much more fun you guys. I’d almost love to see a whole book released this way. 

Not a Stormlight book - that’d be brutal. But a Sanderson. Maybe Warbreaker 2 ;) 

On 10/19/2017 at 10:30 AM, Salkara said:

I'm taking the 14 & 15th off. Plan on reading it straight through and then sleeping. I originally had only planned on the 14th, but hen remembered the need for sleep before returning to work.

I read WoR in about 23 hrs.

21 minutes ago, bo.montier said:

I'm taking the 14 & 15th off. Plan on reading it straight through and then sleeping. I originally had only planned on the 14th, but hen remembered the need for sleep before returning to work.

I read WoR in about 23 hrs.

Hah, that's what I do to :) I blitz through any book I touch, I'll probably be done on the next day because it only takes me about 12-18 hours to read these books (closer to twelve most of the time) 

27 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

Hah, that's what I do to :) I blitz through any book I touch, I'll probably be done on the next day because it only takes me about 12-18 hours to read these books (closer to twelve most of the time) 

I drink a LOT of coffee & smoke pipes when I'm binging on a book, so it slows me down(Look, you wouldn't think bathroom breaks take that much time, but I mean A LOT of coffee). Honestly I think 18 is more realistic, but I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering the last one correctly or not. I know it was less than 24 hours, but not sure how much less. 

7 minutes ago, bo.montier said:

I drink a LOT of coffee & smoke pipes when I'm binging on a book, so it slows me down(Look, you wouldn't think bathroom breaks take that much time, but I mean A LOT of coffee). Honestly I think 18 is more realistic, but I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering the last one correctly or not. I know it was less than 24 hours, but not sure how much less. 

I tend to finish them in two days around 4-10 (PM) and a half day but it varies a bit

It's honestly a problem sometimes as I often don't have something to read because I finished something  in way to little time.

Edited by Blacksmithki

On 10/20/2017 at 0:59 PM, Blacksmithki said:

I often don't have something to read because I finished something  in way to little time.

Same here. I'm going to buy Oathbringer around 3pm the day it's released and will be posting my reactions to the ending in the early morning-but I am going to skim through part 1 and mostly look at the art.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] That internal struggle!
  • Chaos locked this topic