[OB] Oathbringer chapters 16-18

Mestiv

For once I'd rather have a Shallan chapter over a Kaladin one. Shallan is going to unexpected places, doing unthought of things. Kaladin is being quite predictable (if you keep in mind the amazon blurb).

On the Ghostbloods...they may be scary and have a lot of influence, but right now Shallan has more than enough power to stand against them by herself. Renarin probably hasn't told anyone he has made a blade, as with the stormlight shortage there won't be so much Oathgate traffic, leaving Shallan as the only one that can bring people to Urithiru. Even without that she is one of the 4 known KR. Shallan could probably go to the center of the city and declaim the Ghostbloods for killing Jasnah, or anything else she wanted to and they would likely not move a finger...for now. Of course doesn't mean they can't toy with her :P.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

@WhiteLeeopard Huh, Shallan's path is the more predictable one in my opinion, it's the discoveries she'll make in the process that are interesting. As for the Ghostbloods, you really think her ability to open the oathgate will make them even hesitate before killing her if she becomes an inconvinience ? There are other Radiants in the tower and more on their way. She has close to nothing to hold over them, she knows names and can draw pictures  yes, but i'm pretty confident no one else knows them by those names and if there's one thing they should have mastered it's disguise. Urithiru is a big place, how hard would it be for the known ones to just fade away ? I completely expect Mraize and co to play her like a fiddle in the majority of this book, the girl is quickly getting too cocky for her own good when dealing with the "underworld". But all of this is beside the point as long as we don't know their motives, we're almost as ignorant as Shallan (and as hungry for truth).

Screenshot_20171010-231943.thumb.jpg.8a98019de74d24f035deb6e9cf3fc342.jpg

In my much-awaited third weekly closing-theme analysis, last week finished with the punters' favorite, morality. And oh my, what a way:

Thanks! Nothing better than a tent full of innocent children to make you rethink whether or not a whole group of people are evil!

This week, with 35 minutes to go, the current theme is, you're not gon' believe this, PoV speculation and plot elements of the Ghostbloods. I'm proud of you kids. I'm shedding a manly tear here.

• Mestiv unpinned and featured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I am super late to the game.  I took notes when I read these chapters but didn't ever find the time to type them up the week they were released.  I want to toss the notes, but I just can't.  At least until I post them.  So here it goes. This is for me more than anyone else (So I can go back and see if my predictions came to pass) and I didn't read anything on the shard the week of these chapters so they are probably redundant.

Chapter 16: Wrapped Three Times

This small room had no strata or paintings on the walls, so the Stormlight lit only him and that alien Blade.

Why didn't this room have strata? And how does the strata look once stormlight hits it?

No, the Stormfather said. He is far greater than I, but the power of ancient Adonalsium permeates him.

I really need to take the time to understand this whole Adonalsium stuff better

Dalinar's relationship with the StormFather seems to be getting more causal and comfortable.

Favorite Quote from this chapter:

Time, the Stormfather said. Which, though dross to him, is the most valuable thing a man can have.

Evi! Her name is Evi! How is that pronounced? EEE-VEEE, Eh-VEEE, EE-VIIII?

“Every moment in our lives seems trivial,” Zahel said. “Most are forgotten while some, equally humble, become the points upon which history pivots. Like white on black.”

Hello Zahel!  I want to see more of you! Are you saying that marriage will not be Trivial? I think it will be a big deal.

Kadash -- I want to hear more of these events you speak of

Gemheart = Is this a term of endearment?

“I am not a heretic.” Dalinar slapped Kadash’s blade away—but not before the ardent scored a touch on Dalinar’s arm. The hit was hard, and though the swords were blunted, that would bruise for certain.

There is that word again: Heretic.  (chapter 4 Oathbringer prologue writings)

Color & Spren Observations for Chapter 16 spoiled/hidden for length

SPREN OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 16: Wrapped Three Times

none noted

COLOR OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 16: Wrapped Three Times

assassin in white

silvery length (blade)

black and grey strata

wore Kohlin Blue

white on black (Zahel)

white . . . . . on black

bright yellow gown (Navani)

Chapter 17: Trapped in Shadows

No leader = I can help you!

long shadows plunging into darkness

Champion will not be Dalinar

"Squire can capture if supported by an allied card" -- so who are our allies? and how will they help us capture????

Super shocked to see children in the middle tent.  They just became really real people with real families.

trapped in shadows (lots of shadows happening here)

Kaladin was never really free. 

Favorite quote this chapter is

You were never free while you ran; you felt as if the open sky and the endless fields were a torment. You could feel the pursuit following, and each morning you awoke expecting to find yourself surrounded.

when are we free? I feel strongly in my life that I am bound by decisions that I made years ago.  And while I would not change those decisions (to have children for instance) -- they certainly impact my daily life in very demanding ways. The shadows of the choice to have children will always be present in my life.  I'm not sure if we would ever want to be truly free -- to wake up each morning with a completely clean slate.I enjoyed this discussion of freedom.

Color & Spren Observations for Chapter 17 spoiled/hidden for length

Spoiler

SPREN OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 17: Trapped in Shadows

yellow-white spren

joyspren (blue leaves)

windspren

COLOR OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 16: Trapped in Shadows

yellow-white spren

light orange pink (Carapace of children)

blue leaves (joy spren)

Mishim's pale green light (moon)

Chapter 18: Double Vision

spice = wouldn't this indicate a man? Or a woman who liked man's food? Ialai perhaps?

strata is mesmerizing.  I'm watching this strata!

favorite quote:

Veil. Veil didn’t hurt. She was comfortable, confident. She’d meet people’s eyes. She’d lift her chin in challenge to anyone who seemed to be sizing her up. Power was an illusion of perception.

wow -- the above quote was in my notes as my favorite.  Turns out that a very similar quote was in chapter 30 quoted by Shallan.  Very interesting! That is why I need to read all of this.

The men certainly like Shallan; don't they.

Color & Spren Observations for Chapter 17 spoiled/hidden for length

Spoiler

SPREN OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 17: Trapped in Shadows

coldspren

COLOR OBSERVATIONS for Oathbringer Chapter 16: Trapped in Shadows

long white coat (Veil)

first moon -- violet and proud Salas

sapphire (wine)

orange (wine)

blue jacket

yellow underneath

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Oathbringer chapters 16-18