[OB] Oathbringer chapters 13-15

Mestiv

37 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

And that's the least of it: in this thread we have "reached the conclusion" that may aladar is both vivenna and the copycat killer!

I’m sure it’s already been asked but if I had the opportunity to ask Brandon one question it would be “Have any of the crazy theories on 17th Shard altered what you wrote in a book either by addition or omission.” 

47 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I’m sure it’s already been asked but if I had the opportunity to ask Brandon one question it would be “Have any of the crazy theories on 17th Shard altered what you wrote in a book either by addition or omission.” 

He has discussed it before. He doesn't look at theories, pretty much for that reason. (Although he will come sometimes on Reddit if he gets pinged.)

24 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

He has discussed it before. He doesn't look at theories, pretty much for that reason. (Although he will come sometimes on Reddit if he gets pinged.)

I’ve just always pictured him and Peter in a room and Peter saying “Hey you got to hear this crackpot theory they have on the Shard” and getting a good laugh. 

I can see though why he wouldn’t it would be hard sometimes not wanting to pander to the fans and I can’t see how it wouldn’t influence you to an extent.

Edited by StormingTexan

35 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Legally speaking, would he be able to use theories from 17th Shard or Reddit or what-have-you? I don't know the rules for authors, but TV producers concern themselves a lot with the possibility that something that they develop for an episode would mirror an idea that somebody floated that they happened to read. (There was an episode of Babylon 5 that was delayed by a year because it explored a subject that somebody had floated in a Usenet post on the newsgroup that the showrunner was heavily involved in; lawyers for Warner Brothers needed to track the guy down and have him sign a waiver before they would permit the episode to air.)

Someone might have suggested this already, but anyway, a thought on Kaladin and his possible next Oath...

Kaladin's life was significantly affected by Tien's death and also Amaram's betrayal. One consequence is that Kaladin has a negative outlook regarding lighteyes - he's improved in this regard but it's still there. He often seems to take the attitude of a "rebel" against the oppression of the lighteyes, though not so much any more. In the Oathbringer blurb we see this:

While on a desperate flight to warn his family of the threat, Kaladin Stormblessed must come to grips with the fact that the newly kindled anger of the parshmen may be wholly justified.

Given the latest chapter from his POV, I think we'll start to see this really come out. The parshmen were absolute slaves. Kaladin was also a slave. They can be viewed as victims. The oppressors are the humans in general. If they are not obviously evil then Kaladin is likely to feel sympathy for them. Actually, they are likely to be victims of Odium as well. In other words, they were effectively taken over by Odium's spren and forced to fight and then at the end they became slaves to the humans. A pretty miserable existence.

It would not be inconceivable for the ex parshmen to want to retaliate more than they have so far (the ones who have been taken over by Odium would almost certainly be doing so). But that would be hard for Kaladin to accept, despite having been in a similar position himself. After all, that would almost certainly mean innocent people dying as well (or at least, those who cannot defend themselves).

He shouldn't need any justifications to protect the weak innocent but that would also mean protecting the guilty too (eg slave owners). So one possibility is that the next Oath could involve such a thing - eg can't allow the innocent to die just because there's some guilty people amongst them. Another way this could go is that Kaladin would realise that his own past behaviour in this regard was wrong and that just because a crime was committed against you it doesn't mean you can do whatever you like in response - this could apply to protecting in the sense that it's not right to be overly aggressive in protecting.

It's worth remembering that those attributes are fallible and some are definitely wrong. My guess is that all of Kaladin's future Oaths will be more of the same and focus around aspects of protecting - under the assumption that it related to the core nature of the spren in question.

It'll be interesting to see how things look when we have a much better idea of what typical Oaths look like for all levels and all Orders. For example, are many of the Orders systematic and follow a common pattern? Or are they all unique and distinct? So far, the Lightweavers are the only known "special case" for the method of advancement but what about the ones that use Oaths?

It would be interesting to know how the styles of the Oaths developed. I strongly suspect that they evolved over time. There might be some convergent evolution going on and it's also possible that there was some re-organising of it at some point.

2 hours ago, Harry the Heir said:

Legally speaking, would he be able to use theories from 17th Shard or Reddit or what-have-you? I don't know the rules for authors, but TV producers concern themselves a lot with the possibility that something that they develop for an episode would mirror an idea that somebody floated that they happened to read.

Well I'm pretty sure that fans aren't allowed to publish fan fiction for profit that uses the world/characters that were created by another author. I honestly don't see how a fan theory could be considered off limits for an author to use. The author is the one with the copyright on the book series, not the fan. 

Even so, there would have to be a LOT of evidence that the author intentionally stole a specific idea. The internet is a vast place, so chances are the use of a fan theory would be coincidental. Or, the fan just interpreted the foreshadowing correctly and happened to guess what the author had planned anyways.

There are too many variables. Look at musicians trying to sue other musicians for plagiarizing songs. They almost always lose because it isn't an exact copy, and art is open to interpretation. 

13 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

Well I'm pretty sure that fans aren't allowed to publish fan fiction for profit that uses the world/characters that were created by another author. I honestly don't see how a fan theory could be considered off limits for an author to use. The author is the one with the copyright on the book series, not the fan.

Well, there's a reason why most TV shows will return your unsolicited script to you unread for legal reasons.

And while it's probably hard to prove in ambiguous cases, I'm not sure what the consequences would be if Brandon Sanderson said, "May Aladar wasn't going to be all that important, but I decided that she was Odium's champion after reading a fun fan theory by such-and-such on Reddit."

3 hours ago, Elena said:

I think Kaladin's next oath will have something to do with leadership, the other Windrunner attribute - we haven't seen any oaths about that yet

Both oaths that he had sworn have to do with leadership - a leader has to protect the people under their command, and they have to protect people who disagree with or hate them.

41 minutes ago, Kalinovsky said:

Both oaths that he had sworn have to do with leadership - a leader has to protect the people under their command, and they have to protect people who disagree with or hate them.

Considering the other attribute is Protecting that seems like a bit of a stretch.

17 hours ago, Harry the Heir said:

Legally speaking, would he be able to use theories from 17th Shard or Reddit or what-have-you? I don't know the rules for authors, but TV producers concern themselves a lot with the possibility that something that they develop for an episode would mirror an idea that somebody floated that they happened to read. (There was an episode of Babylon 5 that was delayed by a year because it explored a subject that somebody had floated in a Usenet post on the newsgroup that the showrunner was heavily involved in; lawyers for Warner Brothers needed to track the guy down and have him sign a waiver before they would permit the episode to air.)

I find that pretty odd. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think you get to claim ownership of theories like that.  I think you'd have to write out specific scenes or outline a plot detailed enough that the writer(s) couldn't reasonably claim to have come up with the story independently for it to become an issue.  It really doesn't make sense otherwise. 

And not reading a ton of fan theories or opinions on your work (especially anonymous ones) is just a healthy way to go about your life for anyone famous enough that other people talk about their performance/work publicly.  That's for a number of reasons but I'd hazard a guess that if plausible deniability is on most writers' lists, it's near the bottom. 

40 minutes ago, Hischier said:

I find that pretty odd. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think you get to claim ownership of theories like that.  I think you'd have to write out specific scenes or outline a plot detailed enough that the writer(s) couldn't reasonably claim to have come up with the story independently for it to become an issue.  It really doesn't make sense otherwise. 

And not reading a ton of fan theories or opinions on your work (especially anonymous ones) is just a healthy way to go about your life for anyone famous enough that other people talk about their performance/work publicly.  That's for a number of reasons but I'd hazard a guess that if plausible deniability is on most writers' lists, it's near the bottom. 

There's also the additional hurdle of someone trying to claim that their theory was the source of a storyline, when their theory, by necessity, is born if hints already contained in the story. 

"so I had an idea, based on thing that this person has written previously, that there's no way they could have already come up with. They stole from me." 

Doesn't really work. 

59 minutes ago, Kalinovsky said:

Can't wait for half of this thread to become irrelevant. Just 10.5 hours to go!

Not just half this thread but likely a few other threads as well. Remember when we thought Renarin wasn't really a truthwatcher. HAHA! Good Times.

2 hours ago, eveorjoy said:

Not just half this thread but likely a few other threads as well. Remember when we thought Renarin wasn't really a truthwatcher. HAHA! Good Times.

I felt very confident that Elhokar was going to move against Dalinar to get the throne back, and so of course the little jerk up and bends the knee instead.