Sleep Overask anything!

Oversleep

Now that I'm slowly approaching 4000 posts and 2 years on the Shard, I figured I could finally make my own AMA (it seems to be all the rage right now). So, here I am. And you. You are also here.

And since you're here, I figure you want to ask me something :P

1. What is your position on the ethical controversy of utilizing luminescent vegetation in the place of streetlights?

2. If you had to broker peace between two warring nations of mole-people, how would you satisfy both the Deep-downer's wish for more caving rights and the Under-Cruster's desire for lucrative minerals?

3. What is your favorite magic system?

19 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

What is your favorite mythological heroine?

Uh... I don't know, really. Partly because I don't really have favorite mythological heroes. Partly because once you exlude gods, there are not that many heroines. If pressed, I'd go with Scáthach.

What is your favorite non cosmere book?

Name of the Wind with Witcher saga being close second.

Coke or Pepsi?

I go straight for cocaine :P

Honestly, it's all the same to me. Coke and Pepsi, I mean.

How many books on average can you read in a month?

I don't know. I read a lot more when I was younger but I don't remember my processing speed back then. I don't read as much now.

18 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

What is your position on the ethical controversy of utilizing luminescent vegetation in the place of streetlights?

I say we create an additional, artificial moon to make nights brighter.

If you had to broker peace between two warring nations of mole-people, how would you satisfy both the Deep-downer's wish for more caving rights and the Under-Cruster's desire for lucrative minerals?

First I'd have some experts bring me up to speed on the issue.

What is your favorite magic system?

That's a hard one. I think I'm gonna either go with the Shardic magic of Cosmere (which encompasses everything) or choose one of mine, namely Soulsmithing.

17 hours ago, Calderis said:

Do you feel an ever creeping loathing for people in general, especially concerning their lack of desire to improve their knowledge and their willingness to state opinion as fact? 

Yes.

17 hours ago, Calderis said:

Or is that just me? 

No.
:ph34r:

Edited by Oversleep

9 hours ago, Extesian said:

When did you get into Brandon?

March 2015. I was sick for a week and read WoK which I got for Christmas (I haven't had time to read it earlier since I was playing through Assassin's Creed franchise).

I got WoK like... I walked in the store sometime in the winter to look around to give my grandma something to get me for Christmass; I saw this enormous book (and the cover was quite distinctive:
droga_krolow.jpg

And it had Rothfuss approval on it. And since the last good thing I read was his Kingkiller Chronicle... the rest is history.

What's your favorite story arc?

Hard to say. I love Way Of Kings; also it was my first Brandon's book so that sense of wonder and amazement will stay with me until my memory degrades.

I'd say Dalinar or Kaladin in WoK.

I also love Emperor's Soul. That's amazing.
Shadows of Self, if only for the ending alone (make no mistake, the rest of the book is solid but that ending, man...).

What's your favorite cosmere quote?

There are a lot of great quotes. But leaving all that "great quote material" aside (all that "Honor is dead" and "there's always another secret" stuff), it's either

Finally, he turned to the side, rested his head on her shoulder, and wept.

or

As morning broke, Gaotona slowly—excruciatingly—stood up beside his hearth. He clutched the book, that matchless work of art, and held it out.

Then he dropped it into the flames.

If we're talking about the "great quote material stuff", it's probably something Hoid said or perhaps something Dalinar said related to the Codes or Way of Kings.

And what are you favorite places in 1)Poland

That'd probably be my city, Wrocław. Probably some part of the Old Town, where the gaslamps are or a place by the river with a view of the Cathedral on a warm summer night.

2) Europe

I have not traveled much (which means something more than just driving through a country because I have done that a lot) but either the Seven Rila Lakes in Bulgarian mountains or some Italian city. I have only visited Rome so far and I'd like to go see Florence, Tuscany, Forli, Venice and Monteriggioni (yes, those are all Assassin's Creed locations I have run over and through countless times. What can I say, I love Renessaince Italy. And the feeling of "I have been here before" was a nice addition where I was in Rome).

Also, I love Italian food.

Edited by Oversleep

Ah that’s cool man. I’d always assumed you had been a fan for many years, but that’s not long before I first read Sanderson. Only with me it took a year for me to start using the 17th Shard. I LOVE that Polish WoK cover, oh it’s so so cool.

I was supposed to go to Wroclaw. My partner and I were going to visit a friend there in our last month in Prague, had bus tickets, got to the border with Poland after midnight, had border checks (it was right during the immigration debate) and it turned out my Czech temporary residence book wasn’t valid without my accompanying Australian passport. Thus began a 4 hour ordeal of being interrogated by Polish border guards (they were polite and pleasant), in the same room as a Russian lady who was in some kind of serious trouble), being given  an official letter by Poland informing me I was not welcome in the country, at which point we walked 90 minutes to the bus station, realised we had a 3 hour wait til the next bus and proceeded to get drunk in a park. Classic Europe :D but always killed me I didn’t get to go to Wroclaw, I read a lot about it and it looks quite lovely.

Great choice on Emperor’s Soul and I love the quote from it.

7 hours ago, Extesian said:

I’d always assumed you had been a fan for many years

7 hours ago, Calderis said:

Are you guys telling me I started reading Brandon before you guys? I'm feeling disillusioned. 

Never meet your heroes, Calderis; or something :P

What I lack in history of Sanderson books I make up with long days of WoB hunting :P

My rise to Cosmere knowledge was quick and swift; actually, now I think about it, the era of internet is strange. See, I started out by digging myself into heaps of WoBs, then I started dumping some of my newfound knoweldge in a group on Facebook, got noticed by the owner of the fansite (which had a deal with publisher; we got our logo on their Sanderson books and they give us some copies to give out in contests and stuff), then I started writing for it and - fast forward to 2017 - that's how I got to go and participate in interviewing Brandon.

And - which was completely surreal - at the signings people came up to me to thank me for my articles on Cosmere. One of my top unexpected experiences.

7 hours ago, Extesian said:

I was supposed to go to Wroclaw. My partner and I were going to visit a friend there in our last month in Prague, had bus tickets, got to the border with Poland after midnight, had border checks (it was right during the immigration debate) and it turned out my Czech temporary residence book wasn’t valid without my accompanying Australian passport. Thus began a 4 hour ordeal of being interrogated by Polish border guards (they were polite and pleasant), in the same room as a Russian lady who was in some kind of serious trouble), being given  an official letter by Poland informing me I was not welcome in the country, at which point we walked 90 minutes to the bus station, realised we had a 3 hour wait til the next bus and proceeded to get drunk in a park. Classic Europe :D but always killed me I didn’t get to go to Wroclaw, I read a lot about it and it looks quite lovely.

Oh man, what a pity. I'm not sure how that stuff works but if I had to guess it's because Australia is not in Shengen and therefore you need to have a passport.

28 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Interviews and articles are way cooler. 

Everyone can participate in gathering the knowledge! Most of mine comes from "OK, I'm gonna write an article about this stuff. Let's read every WoB with that word in it"; it's great for systematization of information.

I want to gather quotes about stuff (IIRC we were arguing with someone about steelbubble and had trouble pulling up quotes) so that it's properly in one place (that's what the Ultimate Reread thread is for); I believe that properly organized information is much more easy to learn.

I don't know what to do with WoBs though; some say coppermind is sufficient but some WoBs just are too vague and out of context to be injected into some article in coppermind. I think that we could write up extracts of new WoBs (like, there was this event, here's all info in short form). But we have already problems with transcribing stuff so...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4.09.2017 at 5:34 PM, StrikerEZ said:

@Oversleep How are you so good at theorizing and stuff?

I read a lot of WoBs.

Also, I read them thematically. Helps to organize the knowledge.

Some say that the power comes from the spikes but I deny such accussations.

Edited by Oversleep

• 4 months later...

@Oversleep 

1: Should I ask you questions?

30: Why is your username Oversleep?

2: What would happen if one invested 1000 breaths into a loaf of bread, then ate said bread.

0: In the event of a zombie apocalypse what would be your first actions?

1: In the above situation, where would you choose to hide out?

8: If the apocalypse were a sentient potato apocalypse instead, would that influence your actions differently?

:): Did you see what I did there? (hint, look at the numbers.)

1 hour ago, TheVillageIdiot said:

1: Should I ask you questions?

That's the purpose of AMAs, yes.

30: Why is your username Oversleep?

My sleep cycle is messed up. I'm prone to staying up super late and then sleeping through classes (or however you call it at uni). If I have a free day off, I can sleep for 16 hours and I would not wake up without alarm.

2: What would happen if one invested 1000 breaths into a loaf of bread, then ate said bread.

Wasn't there a WoB on that?

0: In the event of a zombie apocalypse what would be your first actions?

Check in a few independent sources if it's not a hoax.

1: In the above situation, where would you choose to hide out?

Whatever government said, probably. Unless it was stupid.

8: If the apocalypse were a sentient potato apocalypse instead, would that influence your actions differently?

Yes. Potatoes cannot move. I'd say it's a drastic difference.

:): Did you see what I did there? (hint, look at the numbers.)

They sum up to The Answer?

Edited by Oversleep