Scriptorian

Wild speculation: This is from the POV of a Shin, experiencing his first highstorm. The storms are now much stronger because of the impending desolation, and can now cross the mountains into Shinovar. He uses the martial description because soldiers and battle cries are the most foreign and horrifying things he can imagine, thus the only thing appropriate to describe such an event.

This is very interesting, but do remember that the epigraph was a female point of view.

I agree that we can't rule the Shattered Plains out. In addition, there aren't many other places (that we know of) it could be from. Namely:

Shallan's Ship

Kharbranth (unlikely, becaus our only known POV there is male)

House Davar (past or present)

Purelake? (no current confirmed POVs in WoR)

Reshi (I think we've seen all of Rysn's interlude, but I'm not sure)

Random Interlude

That's not much. And there's only maybe one POV there. In the Shattered Plains there are three, soon to be five.

Glimpse #3:

In places, it flashed with light from behind, revealing movement and shadows within. Like the skeleton of a hand when light illuminated the flesh, there was something inside that wall of destruction.

Highstorm? Oathgate, maybe? I suspect Urithiru isn't safe from Voidbringers anymore.

Also, the simile is odd. Seeing the skeleton of a hand when 'illuminated' seems more like something from an age where people have x-rays. Odd in a medieval setting.

Edited by Moogle

Glimpse #3:

Highstorm? Oathgate, maybe? I suspect Urithiru isn't safe from Voidbringers anymore.

Also, the simile is odd. Seeing the skeleton of a hand when 'illuminated' seems more like something from an age where people have x-rays. Odd in a medieval setting.

With the bright stormlight gems though this does not seem odd...   The spren, Fabrials and storrmlight have changed much of the expected medieval world.

Reminds me of being a kid holding your hand over a bright flashlight to see the bones,  I can see Lirin using this as a way to teach Kal about skeletons....

Parshendi in Stormform?  Perhaps more then one?  I'm not sure why an oathgate would look like a wall of destruction.  On the other hand according to the Eshonai chapter multiple stormform Parshendi could possibly summon a storm.

Assuming the protected status of Urithiru is true why would it fail now as opposed to anytime before?

Reminds me of being a kid holding your hand over a bright flashlight to see the bones,  I can see Lirin using this as a way to teach Kal about skeletons....

Huh, that would be evidence for this Glimpse being from Kaladin's PoV. Probably a highstorm?

Assuming the protected status of Urithiru is true why would it fail now as opposed to anytime before?

Honor was Splintered.

Edited by Moogle

I like the "there was something inside that wall of destruction" line.  

My first reaction is to think this glimpse is similar to glimpse 2.  Someone who is not accustomed to being out in the open when a Highstorm hits is seeing one approach full force.  

As to who it could be?  No idea.  Maybe Glimpse 2 was from Jasnah's point of view (martial references) and Glimpse 3 is of a similar (or the same) event from Shallan's point of view (use of "illumination")?  

If only we could discuss this much in depth line-by-line for the entire book...

That would be awesome.

It seems closely connected with the last glimpse to me, though there isn't any concrete proof.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Edited by Limelleth

I don't understand where Urithiru fits into this Glimpse? Please explain? I'm a little lost there

It's a very speculative theory. Basically, to get to Urithiru, you have to use Oathgates (?), and as a homage to the Wheel of Time, they might be corrupted like the Waygates (hence why it is dark and flashing with the occasional bit of Stormlight?). The oathgate might be so big it just seems like a wall and... it's really really really crackpot as far as theories go. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the glimpse, though.

There's also my suspicion that the book will end off with the Alethi seeking safety from the Everstorm in Urithiru, but I can't support this too well.

Edited by Moogle

Huh, that would be evidence for this Glimpse being from Kaladin's PoV. Probably a highstorm?

Honor was Splintered.

That was my first thought, 

Dalinar has seen "a wall of Storm approaching"   before in visions, my guess is his first glimpse of it would bring up a comment or memory of it.

Unless this is an interlude with some surgeon,  or Lirin.

I think this is a Highstorm,  but maybe this time with the Parshendi Stormform ... or the start of the Everstorm/ Desolations?

From Kaladin when he was hung out in the storm:

The stormwall approached, the visible curtain of rain and wind at the advent of a highstorm. It was a massive wave of water, dirt, and rocks, hundreds of feet high, thousands upon thousands of windspren zipping before it.

EDIT:  

It occurred to me that the Glimpse 2 and 3 could be read together also:

"She felt and heard the storm approach. The ground shook, the air roared. Bits of leaves swept across her in a chill gust, like scouts before an oncoming army that charged behind, the howling wind its battle cry."

In places, it flashed with light from behind, revealing movement and shadows within. Like the skeleton of a hand when light illuminated the flesh, there was something inside that wall of destruction.

Edited by FollowYourMuse

...Added Lift. (Though she's not really in the running. As far as I know, we've seen her entire excerpt.) ...

Noooo, I refuse to listen to anyone who tries to deny me multitudes of Lift chapters, a Lift PoV book, and hopefully an entire Lift spinoff series!

Noooo, I refuse to listen to anyone who tries to deny me multitudes of Lift chapters, a Lift PoV book, and hopefully an entire Lift spinoff series!

That's as may be, but we still have eight more books after WoR to go for that. I was just talking about in Words of Radiance.

It's a very speculative theory. Basically, to get to Urithiru, you have to use Oathgates (?),

It's a little offtopic. You say, "to get to Urithiru, you have to use Oathgates." Do you refer to the present time on Roshar? I think, that at least when Urithiru had been the center of the KR (and apparently other people lived there, too), it has not been necessary to use Oathgates. I don't dispute that Oathgates might have existed (or still exist). I only think they have not been the only possibility to get to Urithiru.

After all Harkaylain (sp?) told Heb (aka Dalinar), if he wishes to fight, he should come to Urithiru. Harkaylain did not in any way suggest that Heb would need help to get to Urithiru. Thus I think it has been accessible by ordinary means (as going there by foot -- which is what Nohadon did).

Can someone post the actual 3rd glimpse?

Sure:

In places, it flashed with light from behind, revealing movement and shadows within. Like the skeleton of a hand when light illuminated the flesh, there was something inside that wall of destruction.

Though it has been put previously on this thread, it would be good form to subscribe to the mailing list yourself, as that is Tor's aim for these Glimpses. It's quite easy.

I signed up but don't get glimpses :(

dunno whether to blame gmail or tor