Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

8 hours ago, The Honor Spren said:

But in Writing Excuses, Brandon pronounces in as Vin. :huh: Where did you get your information? (I don't mean this passive aggressively or anything. I actually want to know.)

Brandon has said he doesn't pronounce some names the way people in world do. There's a quote on theoryland about pronunciation but on mobile atm so searching for it is proving difficult 

There's something bouncing around in my mind. It's not a theory, more of a project. I feel there's an unexplored angle we could use to analyze Cosmere. I don't know how to approach this; the best I have came up with is a series of discussion threads. Perhaps with appropriate tag.

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

There's something bouncing around in my mind. It's not a theory, more of a project. I feel there's an unexplored angle we could use to analyze Cosmere. I don't know how to approach this; the best I have came up with is a series of discussion threads. Perhaps with appropriate tag.

Give us a short summary then.

10 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

My brother got on my iPad and was about to post this last night. :mellow: 

Also, some Gravity Falls fanart, courtesy of my 7yo sister:

Hide contents

image.jpeg

You fool. Don't you realize that all depictions of Bill are gateways from his dimension to ours, you've doomed us all. 

18 hours ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

So I was just at my friends wedding. After all the serious ceremony is done and dancing has started, she pressed a button on her plain white shoes and the rim of the soles lit up multicoloured. Awesomeness. 

18 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Your friend is awesome. 

Also the Rabbi kept (gently) saying things like "Guys are you with me?" "Please, this is serious" because the bride and groom were smiling at each other and whispering and being adorable and happy and not entirely attentive to the actual ceremony. :lol:

15 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Please give us a summary, at least? I really love hearing new things about the Cosmere, even if it's just a new point of view.^_^

10 minutes ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Please give us a summary, at least? I really love hearing new things about the Cosmere, even if it's just a new point of view.^_^

It's something I'm calling Meta-Realmatics. I think that instead of focusing on how things work we could think about how would they work: How would Metallic Arts work if instead of Preservation it was Cultivation who ended up with Ruin? It's making a step back to see the whole picture: So far we can't directly compare different magic systems as each one has unique twists. Dominion and Devotion is in Cognitive instead of Spiritual and is Splintered. How did it work before all that? Also, Dor is a mixture of two Shards and so far we haven't seen any system powered by two Shards at once (well, it depends on what exactly Stormlight is).

Given what we know about each system, how would it work should another Shard invest in the planet? What if we switch Shards, what would change and how?

There's a whole section about fueling the magics - each case is unique and hard to compare as result. A fun exercise is to imagine what would happen if a Shard was directly fueling its magic like mist-burning or Vin fueling Elend's Allomancy. Ruin would be the weirdest but there's nothing to fuel in Hemalurgy (Hemalurgy is in my terminology one of the Passive systems). But if Endowment were to fuel Awakening... Or fueling Feruchemy (or any end-neutral system, really).

Another thing I'm interested in is secondary focuses... I mean, Scadrial's focus is metal. But it also has the mist thing going on. Focus of Nalthis is Command but there is that thing with colors.

Yet another is secondary boosts you get along with the magic: why do Elantrians have augmented bodies while other Selians (presumably) do not? Having a lot of Breath augments you in specific ways which are vividly different from what Stormlight offers and yet it's also different from what Elantrians have. Meanwhile Scadrian or Taldain magic offers no augmentations just by virtue of having power.

I'm very interested in Sand Mastery so yesterday I sent a request to get the prose version :)

...okay, um. So...

My new year resolution for 2017 is... I want to make something. Something I can look at and be proud of and say "Yes, I did that thing."

Writing something would be the obvious thing, but I know I'm...not the greatest in that field, quality or productivity wise. What I'd thought was...

This is silly. :mellow: But a thing I've been batting around in my head for a little while now; a screencap comic in the style of Darths and Droids, DM of the Ring or Friendship is Dragons, using RWBY. So...

Four friends roll up characters for an RPG set in a fairytale inspired setting. Shenanigans ensue.

Just...not sure if that's a good idea or not...

2 hours ago, Quiver said:

...okay, um. So...

My new year resolution for 2017 is... I want to make something. Something I can look at and be proud of and say "Yes, I did that thing."

Writing something would be the obvious thing, but I know I'm...not the greatest in that field, quality or productivity wise. What I'd thought was...

This is silly. :mellow: But a thing I've been batting around in my head for a little while now; a screencap comic in the style of Darths and Droids, DM of the Ring or Friendship is Dragons, using RWBY. So...

Four friends roll up characters for an RPG set in a fairytale inspired setting. Shenanigans ensue.

Just...not sure if that's a good idea or not...

Quiver... I was going to give you a motivating speech, but then I realized who I was, so Im going to give you a very pessimistic speech that will somehow be motivating.

You are going to die, so what if it might be a bad idea? Why does it matter? Do it.

Or to paraphrase a fantastic show: "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everyones going to die. Go make a screencap comic."