Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

We had Christmas Lunch with friends, in our ongoing tradition of Pagans pretending to be Jewish and going to a Chinese buffet on Christmas.  And then some of us went Pokehunting at the Nelson-Atkins sculpture park.  I finally caught a rustbegotten Pikachu.

Also, guys.

GUYS.

I dumped half a can of crimson Manic Panic into my henna.  I have absolutely no idea what color(s) my hair is going to be when I go to bed tonight!

3 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

We had Christmas Lunch with friends, in our ongoing tradition of Pagans pretending to be Jewish and going to a Chinese buffet on Christmas.  And then some of us went Pokehunting at the Nelson-Atkins sculpture park.  I finally caught a rustbegotten Pikachu.

Also, guys.

GUYS.

I dumped half a can of crimson Manic Panic into my henna.  I have absolutely no idea what color(s) my hair is going to be when I go to bed tonight!

*American Jews. The Chinese food thing is American. I hadn't heard of it until like a year ago. :)

Isn't henna a temporary dye? That people put on their hands?

Guys i bought a pair of gloves today. the fingertips of the thumbs and index fingers are a different materials, thought ok i guess thats reinforced because it wears down quicker.

no.

it gets better.

this patches allow me to use touchsvcreeas without having to take my gloves off! who invented this? Its amazing!

and typos are because they don't make my gloved fingers any less clumsy :P

2 minutes ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

*American Jews. The Chinese food thing is American. I hadn't heard of it until like a year ago. :)

This is true.  It's an intersection of Jewish and American cultures, but it works equally well for Pagans.  :)

2 minutes ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Isn't henna a temporary dye? That people put on their hands?

It is temporary on the skin.  However, on hair, it's much more permanent.  It's what I typically use to rig the game in the eternal genetic cage match between blonde and ginger in my DNA.

Manic Panic is a type of vegetable dye that typically washes out in a few weeks.  However, I've heard anecdotal evidence that it can bind more tightly to hair when used in conjunction with henna. So I'm testing it to see.  There are a number of potential outcomes.

1)  Nothing abnormal happens, I just wind up with re-hennaed roots.

2)  The Manic Panic color only takes on my roots.  They are an inch long, so this could be an extremely interesting outcome.

3)  The Manic Panic takes on all of my hair, but in different shades between roots and the rest of my hair.

4)  The Manic Panic takes everywhere.

Options 2, 3, & 4 also have suboptions between the bright red being temporary and washing out to my regular henna color, or being permanent and not washing out at all.  I'm performing SCIENCE! on my hair!

3 minutes ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

So going back to me maybe dying my hair, if I only want short term i should look for manic panic?

if i wasnt wearing gloves id go look for that xkcd for science comic. :)

Well, the problem with that is that if your hair isn't already a pretty light color, you'd need to lighten it for the MP to actually show up.  Because it's a temporary vegetable-based dye, it won't lighten your hair on its own.  If you want bright, jewel-tone colors, you have to start with bleaching, I'm afraid.

12 minutes ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

So going back to me maybe dying my hair, if I only want short term i should look for manic panic?

if i wasnt wearing gloves id go look for that xkcd for science comic. :)

If you're going to go for a fantasy color, there isn't really such a thing as long term color.

I said it already, but I'd recommend manic panic.

Edited by The Honor Spren

@Deliiiiiightful It isn't so much the growing out that's the problem, as the fading. Whenever I color my hair, it's mostly faded out by the time my hair has grown enough for it to be noticeable. I've searched all over, but I've never found a dye that can promise more than 8 weeks. The ways to make it last longer include:

• Using shampoos meant for colored hair
  • Using cold water 
  • Washing your hair less often
  • Putting on conditioner before and after the shampoo
  • Avoid getting wet when possible 

Unfortunately for me, psoriasis can make it really difficult to do all of these, but you should try to do them. And if you want wash yourself, but not your hair, shower caps are the way to go. ;) 

5 hours ago, Zathoth said:

I have a decent amount of money and no job next year... I am very seriously considering seeing the world.

So do it!

3 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

That sounds super fun! I just got back from a Christmas party at an older couple's house, at which I ate delicious roast meat, sat and talked with some cool people, and played a beautiful Taylor acoustic. 

1 hour ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

My grandmother is a really talented seamstress, and she made all three of the pugs new coats. 

Reveal hidden contents

Adq2I4V.jpg

oHRiEx2.jpg

izk2KnB.jpg

And, in addition to the rest of my haul, I got this. 

Reveal hidden contents

GEjg9yh.jpg

First: *un-manly squealing ensues... for several minutes* :wub:

Second: YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYEYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES... Continues ad infinitum.  :D

Needless to say, I'm excited about these things. Congratulations, and may (time bend to your will and reality melt at thy touch, oh goddess of that reality we all long for, but is ever out of reach.) all your Christmas(time/December) wishes come true.^_^

So... A week or so ago one of my Facebook friends made a request for a photoshopped "Apple Spider" after she had a slip of the tongue while trying to talk about apple cider. I had a lot of fun making these:

Spoiler

Apple Spider2.jpg

Spoiler

Apple Spider Jug.jpg

Spoiler

AppleMac Spider.jpg

And then, just because peacock spider photos are fun, I made a few unrelated memes of them:

Spoiler

Touchdown Peacock Spider.jpg

Peacock Spider Korn.jpg