Found him! [Edgedancer spoilers?]

skaa

I fully believe this is Hoid, but there seems to be issues with the timeframe for these events.  Lift escapes Darkness in Interlude-9; Hoid leaves the warcamps in Chapter 67 and then makes the "better part of a year" comment to Jasnah in the final chapter.  The various timelines on coppermind seem to indicate that there's only 4~5 weeks between when Hoid leaves the warcamps and the end of the book.  So is this an error by Brandon, a false connection on our part, an exaggeration on Hoid's part, or is there something more to read between the lines?  Maybe he needed a safe place on-world to conduct extended magic, perhaps needing the use of a time bubble resulting in him spending half a year while only a few weeks went by in-world.

Actually it could happen at any point in last 3 years before Lifts interlude in WoR. And we know that Wit was missing from warcamps.

Wyndle had recolection of that event so it happened after Lift visited Nightwatcher.
I assume that Lift when to Nightwatcher at age of 10, in her Interlude she was 10 for 3 years already, so at some point in that 3 years period she saw man jumping into Marabethian greatshell.

I think Lift Interlude was in 1173 or 1174 Roshar time.
In 1170 Shallan meet first time Wit when he posed as messenger, in 1173 Wit was in Kholinar waiting for Taln. So we have time between 1170 to 1172 for him to be swallowed and spend more then half year being digested and then return in 1173 first to warcamps then to Kholinar.

On 11/23/2016 at 5:45 PM, natc said:

Is it also possible that this was ages ago and Wyndle only remembers him because Lift has told this story at some point?

Yeah, definitely sounds like Wyndle had heard of him and not been there himself. It could have happened any time. Perhaps to study the spren inside greatshells? What Axies would give to chat with him. Though for all we know, Axies doesn't worry much about being eaten either. Maybe Hoid got the idea from him or vice versa.

Non-serious answer: Maybe if we take away the dangers of drowning in stomach acid and being slowly metabolized (and obviously Hoid has ways around that), being inside a greashell stomach can be quite a cozy place to be.

Semi-serious answer:

Hoid can know where he needs to be and when he needs to be there (apparently through Feruchemy). He can also use time dilation abilities to jump forward in time. Maybe whenever he wants to move on to his next adventure on Roshar, he simply uses his time dilation powers to skip the wait and move straight to the correct point in time. Now, someone from Scadrial has something to say about time dilation powers:

Alloy of Law Spoilers:

Spoiler

"Wayne, any time I use my ability--any time--I'll be left frozen in place, looking stupid while everyone else is able to run about..."

Perhaps Hoid wisely wants to avoid being seen while he's using time dilation, and so prefers doing it inside terrifying giant monsters that nobody wants to mess with.

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

1 minute ago, Ookla the Insipid said:

Non-serious answer: Maybe if we take away the dangers of drowning in stomach acid and being slowly metabolized (and obviously Hoid has ways around that), being inside a greashell stomach can be quite a cozy place to be.

Semi-serious answer: Hoid can know where he needs to be and when he needs to be there (apparently through Feruchemy). He can also use time dilation abilities to jump forward in time. Maybe whenever he wants to move on to his next adventure on Roshar, he simply uses his time dilation powers to skip the wait and move straight to the correct point in time. Now, Marasi has something to say about time dilation powers:

Perhaps Hoid wisely wants to avoid being seen while he's using time dilation, and so prefers doing it inside terrifying giant monsters that nobody wants to mess with.

It may depend on just how big the greatshell is. Time bubbles don't really like moving around at this point unless they are attached to something pretty big.

20 minutes ago, nervousnerd said:

It may depend on just how big the greatshell is. Time bubbles don't really like moving around at this point unless they are attached to something pretty big.

According to a very new WoB, people who've been using time bubbles for very long are able to anchor the bubbles to themselves.

Of course, Hoid could simply include the greatshell in his time dilation. At least he'd be helping others by keeping the beast in stasis for a while.

By the way, I only used the Cadmium Allomancer as an example. I do not assume that Hoid is limited to that particular manifestation of time dilation powers. For all we know, what he does with time dilation could be more flexible than Cadmium Allomancy.

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

Do we have confirmation that hoid actually swallowed the lurasium bead? As far as i know, that one scene in words of radiance doesn't show for sure that Hoid did. Brandon is being very careful about that. I would like to think that he isn't using cadmium, like ookla was saying. And i would also like to think he is saving it for something else (although judging from his actions in the end of elantris, he probably did swallow it, but since it isn't shown like in the end of elantris, i hope it was to setup a future plot line).

Well, we know Hoid is collecting investitures, and it has been strongly hinted that he already has access to a fair number.  So there is a high probability that, among his other goals (such as poking Rayse in the eye and foiling his plans) Hoid wants to attract a bondable Spren.  We have seen that there are Spren that are involved with the larger creatures, possibly even bonded to them.  But no one has gotten a chance to investigate them in vivo.  Santhids are rare.  Greatshells tend to either be eating you or dead (other than those giant ones that have communities built on them from the Rysn interlude.

So seeing as Hoid is very difficult to kill, jumping into a greatshell may be a unique way to semi-invasively study the greatshell spren while still alive from the inside.  It would not make sense for anyone else to take that approach, but Hoid is, well, Hoid.  His motives don't always make sense to us.  But I think he was studying the spren interaction there.

@HoidvsVoid as far as I know, Brandon has been very tight lipped about whether or not Hoid swallowed the bead.  But we did see him sprinkle a powder into his own drink before going to do business with Shallan's father in a flashback, and her mood did change after.  So it is heavily implied that he can use emotional Allomancy.  Which tends to indicate that he did swallow it, but I do not believe we have official confirmation yet.

2 hours ago, HoidvsVoid said:

Do we have confirmation that hoid actually swallowed the lurasium bead? As far as i know, that one scene in words of radiance doesn't show for sure that Hoid did. Brandon is being very careful about that. I would like to think that he isn't using cadmium, like ookla was saying. And i would also like to think he is saving it for something else (although judging from his actions in the end of elantris, he probably did swallow it, but since it isn't shown like in the end of elantris, i hope it was to setup a future plot line).

We know he has Allomancy - at least emotional Allomancy (brass would be my guess). I personally believe he used the lerasium to turn himself into a Mistborn, but the evidence is not overwhelming.

@HoidvsVoid, there is also this quote from the letter in WoK. Most people believe it is Hoid refering to the Lerasium. 

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

I believe he used part of the bead to become a weak Mistborn, no more powerful than the Lord Mistborn and definitely not as powerful as Vin, and used the rest for something else. 

@HoidvsVoid Careful with your interpretation there.  IF he is talking about the Lerasium bead in that quote (big if, yet to be confirmed), Hoid is big on misdirection.  The telling part is : "I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say." IF he is talking about the Lerasium bead, and IF he swallowed and burned it, it is incorporated into his sDNA now.  So to protect it, he would need to protect his own skin.  And seeing as he is nigh unkillable, his own skin is pretty damnation good protection...

The phrasing is playful and misleading, I would be very careful about taking it at face value.  There are a couple of valid ways you can interpret it apart from the obvious.