ENTIRE COSMERE OPTIONED FOR MOVIES

2-3 movies for WoK would be an overkill. Nobody is going to sign off for making 20 something't even reached mid point. Also, at the speed the books are released, they will soon run out of material not to mention the would have to film everything yearly to avoid the actors from aging too much. WoK doesn't make a good stand-alone: the story only makes sense because it is part of something bigger. You can't just make one movie and stop it there. 

I personally think the only format capable of presenting SA to a screen is a TV series. I sincerely hope they do not make it: it will be terrible.

Just a note - the optioning to DMG is not a new thing. The only new thing that's happened is that Stormlight has been moved up to "Step 2", as Brandon puts it. The original rights were leased before Brandon made this Reddit post in July 2015:

Stormlight, Emperor's Soul, Elantris, and Warbreaker are held by DMG Entertainment. They have grand plans were are awesome, but we're still working on the first script.

Just now, Shimmy said:

this just in.  Art Parkinson will be playing Kaladin.

This just in - Shimmy is a troll :P

Personally, I'm excited - I honestly haven't gotten the impression that they're trying to rush into anything - they've left it long enough that I'm confident they're not aiming for a quick cash grab, and I imagine they have long enough left on the contract that they're not rushing to get something out like what happened with that Wheel of Time TV Episode. So, I'm going with cautiously optimistic for now.

A singal SA movie would have to be 3 or 4 hours long. And I still dont rhink you could fit the hole book into that. I mean WOK is over 1000 pages. Look what happened to the Hobbit it was turned into 3 movies and look how small that book is. I think it would be a interesting idea if they made multiple movies  and thwn had them criss over. For example back in the day on the WB when it was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel you're both in the same universe would have crossed over this. Or nowadays on what Chicago Fire and Chicago PD they have crossover events. The first 2 WOK movies could be one of them about 1st Jasnah and Shallan.  And the 2nd Kaladin, Dalinar and the Warcamps. Doing it that way would be crazy money probably Even if they did what Peter Jackson did and film three movies back to back to back like Lord of the Rings. But I realy do think that Brandon Sanderson is a true fan of  epic fantasy he grew up reading The Wheel of Time and he must of had the same fears that most of us are having when it comes to beloved books. So I do think he would only do this deal If he thought it was good for both him his books and the fans.

35 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Look what happened to the Hobbit it was turned into 3 movies and look how small that book is.

Hobbit isn't a very good example at all when considering movie length when adapting from a book since they added an extra 75% to the story just so they could have 3 films and make lots of money. If they had stayed true it would've been easily one movie.

I'm sorry, but I just can't be excited about this news in any way.  I am very proud and happy that Brandon's work is getting the kind of recognition that would open up such an opportunity for him, but I just see this as yet another future letdown.  Much like Dresden, Harry Potter, Sword of Shannara, Sword of Truth, and the big one: GoT before it, this is just another opportunity in which I get to see some of the story plots and characters, and worlds that I have grown to love get ruined by a bunch of Executives and screenwriters looking to make the biggest ROI by dumbing down the material to the lowest common denominator for consumption by the masses.  These kinds of stories rarely work being translated to the screen, and the odds are stacked against a Cosmere story being any different.  Call me a snobbish book purist, call me overly pessimistic, and perhaps I am both those things, but the only positive thing I see coming from this is that Brandon gets several big checks and he and his family never have to worry about money again.  As for his stories being entrusted to the hands of people who I know will have goals and motivations very different from his own, all I can say is I hope he looks to the history of other authors before him, and he understands just what it will mean to have his works turned into something he may never have intended.

I made a long front page article! 

In researching, I discovered that (possibly) the reason the official announcement took so long is because I think DMG was acquiring the Mistborn rights from Applied Allomancy. Applied Allomancy held the rights last we knew, and was by the guys who were in charge of Little Orbit and Mistborn: Birthright. Despite what Brandon says (that they were great to work with), I obviously don't have a high opinion of them in making an actual product.

I am deeply concerned with starting with Way of Kings. Mistborn is a much more natural hook into this universe. Way of Kings just seems much more likely to be a trainwreck. Maybe they can pull it off, but I'm going to take it with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I know many of you are worried. But, still, I would encourage you to understand that filmmakers have an obligation to make films, not perfect visual representations of the books we love. They will be different. This is not necessarily a bad thing. A good film comes first. We can absolutely have good fantasy adaptations of books, but let's please not be beholden to the notion that, "I simply must see this one scene and if it is cut or changed in any way this movie is garbage." This is a dangerous realm for fans to go. If it's a crap movie, we'll obviously talk about it here, but it can still be a good film and capture the essence of what made the books good without being the books.

If the films exist, that will bring more faces to the fandom and Brandon in general. That, by itself, should be worthwhile. I know that if these films are made, there's going to be backlash, but I'd just ask to try and keep an open mind. Having films exist does not destroy the books we can reread, and can read forever. Overall, I think it will be positive for Brandon fans.

Of course, I'm going to keep a healthy dose of skepticism too (I am not envious of those screenwriters), but it is totally possible that these will be good films, even if they are different from the books. 

Wow, the pessimism is strong in this thread. I've said before that I don't think Roshar of Scadrial will be as difficult or expensive to depict as people think. Studio filming with physical props for the ground and rockbuds, etc on Roshar would be awesome, for instance. I'd like to see Mistborn, Emperor's Soul, or Elantris first, but WoK could be really good, with today's technology, and with the tech 4-5 years from now when they're actually filming and editing? More than good enough I expect.

I can't wait for Brandon to ask for actors from this website!!! People who already know the material....just joking.

While i really want elantris to be first, because i think it is the easiest to adapt, and for stormlight to be a tv show, i am just glad that this is finally happening, and hopefully it is better than the d.c. universe movies.

I also think that Way of Kings is extremely hard to pull of as a movie, without cutting it in half (they could cut where the Gollancz editions are broken). And if they keep on cutting every movie in two, they will have twenty movies to make. Stormlight would be better off as a tv-series. And also, wonder how the cast will look? Alethi are not exactly european.

Mistborn will probably be great though! Hope they put more focus on that.

15 minutes ago, Dankness Ascendant said:

Well

There go our Studio 17 dreams. Thanks guys for taking the rights :/ but if we do go ahead. Don't sue us yeah? What we're doing is fan-made.

Well, they optioned it last year or even earlier, so technically Studio 17 are the interlopers here - they took those rights long before we started work.

I'm pretty sure they'll have to split WoK into two movies. Also, I think it would've been better if they had planned to start with Elantris. But WoK works too, I guess 

I wonder how they'll pronounce the mistborn characters' names. From what I've heard, their original pronunciation is kinda like how you'll pronounce their names if you were French. Like Vin= Vahh (or something) I always pronounced her name like Vin as in Vin diesel XD 

6 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Hobbit isn't a very good example at all when considering movie length when adapting from a book since they added an extra 75% to the story just so they could have 3 films and make lots of money. If they had stayed true it would've been easily one movie.

To be fair I think a lot of the stuff they added was based on notes by Tolkien, since he cut a lot of stuff from the original Hobbit manuscript.

20 minutes ago, Eki said:

To be fair I think a lot of the stuff they added was based on notes by Tolkien, since he cut a lot of stuff from the original Hobbit manuscript.

As far as I know, some things (Kili + Tauriel + Legolas) was created purely by Jackson and co, some, like the Dol Guldur stuff, was from Tolkiens notes. However, I dont think that was supposed to be in the original Hobbit book, since that is a childrens tale, with very different tone compared to the movies.

1 minute ago, Jondesu said:

The news article says Cosmere, but I do wonder if anything else was included. If not, maybe someone else will pick up Steelheart? I think that would be an (ahem) Epic movie.

Currently, I believe the Steelheart rights belong to Shaun Levy's personal company, 21 Laps. They announced a scriptwriter from them about 6 months ago, but I haven't heard much since.

This is so awesome im still thinking about it.

Someone should start a thread on best actors/actressesfor the roles... like freaking Hoid man. Kalian... Vin. Kel.... 

I go for Brad Pitt as Kelsier. 

Sazed as Djimon Hounsou. 

Yeah someone start a thread and link it to this one for directional purposes.

Ohhh so excited i hope they dont screw it.

3 hours ago, HoidvsVoid said:

I can't wait for Brandon to ask for actors from this website!!! People who already know the material....just joking.

While i really want elantris to be first, because i think it is the easiest to adapt, and for stormlight to be a tv show, i am just glad that this is finally happening, and hopefully it is better than the d.c. universe movies.

I call Elend and Renarin. 

Or, possibly, Spook.

@Chull #445 I was thinking, like, Mid-Eastern for the Alethi.

@I_am_a_Stick I heard that too, but, like, VEEN and KELL-zee-yay

Edited by bleeder

42 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

This is so awesome im still thinking about it.

Someone should start a thread on best actors/actressesfor the roles... like freaking Hoid man. Kalian... Vin. Kel.... 

I go for Brad Pitt as Kelsier. 

Sazed as Djimon Hounsou. 

Yeah someone start a thread and link it to this one for directional purposes.

Ohhh so excited i hope they dont screw it.

There's already a few threads I think.

Here's one (I feel like there were more, but I could only find this and the Steeheart one)

Mistborn: 

8 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I'll admit I'm not in up to date with Middle-earth and talking as I used to be but I thought most of the add material to The Hobbit movies were from the appendices of The Lord of the Rings book

6 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I'll admit I'm not in up to date with Middle-earth and talking as I used to be but I thought most of the add material to The Hobbit movies were from the appendices of The Lord of the Rings book

Maybe. Not sure myself. But I know for certain that a fair number of parts weren't in the original Hobbit book, like that goblin who chased them. I'm also fairly certain that the reason why they added more was to add drama, and extend a tiny book to 3 movies so that they could make more money.

Overall, my point stands that it isn't an apt comparison, since most book-to-movie adaptations wouldn't have that much extra added to it.

Edited by Spoolofwhool