Scale of Adonalsium's power

Alpharho

Question

Hey guys, 

I've been thinking a lot about the scale of Adonalsium's power, and the possibility for other, similar beings on a Universal scale. I'm curious if anybody has thoughts, or reasonings that might be relevant to this path of thought.

So, we know that it has been stated that all current Cosmere events take place on Shardworlds, typically in different Solar Systems, but in the same Dwarf Galaxy. So if the 16, and Adonalsium by comparison, exhibit their power only within this single galaxy--Would there likely be an analogue to this power in adjacent/distant galaxies within this universe? If not, then what makes this Galaxy so special in the infinities of space to hold the entire Power of Creation within it?

This has only been on my mind since after the last time I saw Brandon (SoS signing in Denver), so I haven't had an opportunity to ask directly. I seem to always miss his posting flurries on Reddit too.

So I'm very interested to hear/discuss with this community.

14 answers to this question

I would guess no, but I don't think we have any information about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the creation story of Adonalsium is also the creation story of either the whole cosmere, or at least life in the cosmere.

2 hours ago, Alpharho said:

So, we know that it has been stated that all current Cosmere events take place on Shardworlds, typically in different Solar Systems, but in the same Dwarf Galaxy. So if the 16, and Adonalsium by comparison, exhibit their power only within this single galaxy--Would there likely be an analogue to this power in adjacent/distant galaxies within this universe? If not, then what makes this Galaxy so special in the infinities of space to hold the entire Power of Creation within it?

Well. Same thing could be said of Earth. Why do we have sentient life, yet others do not?

17 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Well. Same thing could be said of Earth. Why do we have sentient life, yet others do not?

But can that be said of Earth? At least outside of a religious context, Earth isn't special at least not that we can say with any certainty/evidence. It's just one planet that meets criteria for Carbon-based life near are star that's not special, in an arm of a galaxy that isn't particularly special.

So unless the Cosmere galaxy is the extent of that universe, then sure, this point is moot. But if not, could Adonalsium's opposing force come from an external galaxy? (This last point is really a stretch, and not to derail the other ideas)

Edited by Alpharho

I recall Brandon mentioning the dwarf galaxy, but not a very small universe. However, I do not think he has any plans on expanding out beyond the Cosmere's dwarf galaxy, so it's probably a moot point. But I would expect others could have their own version of the cosmere.

51 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

Wasn't there a WoB of an unnamed, unknown, force equivalent to Adonalsium?  Maybe the broken and uncooperative 16 can only influence their power within that small galaxy due to that unknown force.  

Well, the WoB is that there was a force opposing Adonalsium, which can be interpreted very liberally. It's possible that the "force" opposing Adonalsium was just the group that decided it was a good idea to shatter it.

22 minutes ago, Eki said:

Well, the WoB is that there was a force opposing Adonalsium, which can be interpreted very liberally. It's possible that the "force" opposing Adonalsium was just the group that decided it was a good idea to shatter it.

It can't be the group of 16 that decided to shatter it because WoB is that the unknown force is still around while the original 16 are not. 

Just now, shadowwisp said:

It can't be the group of 16 that decided to shatter it because WoB is that the unknown force is still around while the original 16 are not. 

Most of them are. But we don't know if they were the only ones who thought the Shattering was a good idea, or if they were part of some kind of organization that is still around.

It's pretty clear from the context that question was so wide open that almost any answer could be valid -- e.g. that the 16 that caused the shattering could be considered a force. He goes on to say that there is no "devil" equivalent to Adonalsium.  So basically, he answers the intent of the question (the devil part) and the rest is him toying with the fan for asking such an open-ended question. Reading anything more into it beyond that makes no sense (beyond that you should think long and hard about how to phrase your question).

Edit:

I think the unknown force mentioned above is the weapon that was used in the shattering. And no, Hoid was/is not that weapon.

And Hoid and Frost were apparently involved and so far signs point to them being part of the conspiracy, so that's 2 beyond the 18.

If Frost formed the 17th Shard then they could date back to the shortly after the shattering. I do not think we have any clue on when they were formed (or even if Frost formed the 17th shard or is leading it, though Hoid's letter suggests Frost is at least a member).

But anyway, Brandon toying with a fan is a very weak foundation for any theories. The real takeaway is there was no "devil" opposing Adonalsium.

Edited by Argel

1 hour ago, Argel said:

I think the unknown force mentioned above is the weapon that was used in the shattering. And no, Hoid was/is not that weapon.

There's a WoB that the "opposition" created the weapon, so I'd say probably not.

Interview: Mar 4th, 2014

Chaos (17th Shard)

There is an opposing force to Adonalsium, and at the midnight release, I asked Brandon to write in my book something about that opposing force. He wrote:

Brandon Sanderson

There was a weapon created by the opposition of Adonalsium.