Mid-Range Game 17: Hic Sunt Leones

Amanuensis

Just now, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Oh and to clarify something can people not lynch me just because I'm being quiet?

To a point, yeah, but inactivity should be discouraged. Also, in this game, you will actually be getting points for activity, so it might be a good time to try reaching out and talking more than you usually do.

2 minutes ago, Wonko the Sane said:

To a point, yeah, but inactivity should be discouraged. Also, in this game, you will actually be getting points for activity, so it might be a good time to try reaching out and talking more than you usually do.

But i've always been more of a kinda quite observer!

3 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Ok, thanks. Anyone have any tips on RPing?

EDIT: I might RP with you, @Doctor12

If you've ever written anything, even fanfic -- especially fanfic -- it's basically that, but collaborative. Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself; many of the rest of us have as little experience as you do.  There's no pressure to write a bestseller. Just do your best to tell a good story, and have fun along the way.

Burganaa Valletii, the fifth of his name, Returned of Hallendren, now known as the Jackal, stood at the prison that would hold him for the rest of his life. He didn't know where the Healer had gone. That strange box had taken him here. What kind of Command had the Healer given the box? He was surprised he still had any Breath; even the God King would have trouble conjuring up that much to Awaken that device.

He stepped out, gingerly, and made his way down the corridor. He passed a window, and was surprised to see a glaring red landscape that stretched on for miles. Roshar, maybe? But no. Thing's were spread around the landscape, massive cities surrounded by strange bubbles. He had followed the Healer to so many different planets with his other group of Worldhoppers (LG26) but had never seen anything like it. 

Just then, the door opened. A bored looking person walked through, then was immediately jerked awake by the sight of him standing there. "Greetings, human. I am Burganaa Valletii, the-" The human reached for something by his side and brought it up. It crackled with some strange force, a different type of Investiture he had ever encountered. "Well, that's a shame," he said. "Strangle things."

A spare piece of cloth flew from his hand to the man's throat. It tightened, and he fell to the ground, gasping. Burganaa picked up the strange weapon. It reminded him of that abomination that fool Vasher carried, before he passed it on. He brought the weapon down to the man, and was pleased to see it cut through flesh and the ground beneath as easy as a Shardblade.

However, he wanted no part in this. He would find the Healer, and he would return to his home. 

How's that?

33 minutes ago, The_Lady_of_Chaos said:

Curse you, mobile quotes!!!

@Assassin in Burgundy, that's excellent! You'll do great. Once Aman gives me an identity, maybe I'll join in with you and Doc. Be warned that literally everything I have ever heard about these books is contained in this thread.

Edited by Wonko the Sane

2 minutes ago, Wonko the Sane said:

@Assassin in Burgundy, that's excellent! You'll do great. Once Aman gives me an identity, maybe I'll join in with you and Doc. Be warned that literally everything I have ever heard about these books is contained in this thread.

Thanks! Yeah, that'd be fun. I've read the first one but will probably read the next few shortly. It was based off of LG25, for those who had no idea why I made myself a Returned. 

14 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

1 Merit is earned whenever a player makes a post that includes at least 100 words of RP.

57 minutes ago, Wonko the Sane said:

To be fair, it incentivizes RP and game contribution equally. If you don't want to RP, all you have to do is be more active in the discussion.

This is why I was asking.  I kind of would like clarification, because there's a big difference (IMO) between RP and just being active in discussion.  I do one normally, and the other I've never done before.  I've written a couple decent short stories, and a novel, so I'm not too scared of writing;  It's more a time thing, and I kind of would like clarification.

1 Merit is also earned when a player makes an on-topic contribution to the discussion (including, but not limited to, suggesting a plan, initiating a duel, cheering a combatant, or analyzing another player).

Did you happen to miss this bit? Because otherwise, I'm not sure I follow you. RP and contribution are different, which is why they are addressed separately in the rules.

4 minutes ago, Wonko the Sane said:

Did you happen to miss this bit? Because otherwise, I'm not sure I follow you. RP and contribution are different, which is why they are addressed separately in the rules.

I'm glad this happened before the game started.  <_<  I'm going to go reread the rules now, having had my reminder that I constantly get in trouble for not reading them thoroughly.

On 10/3/2016 at 11:28 AM, Wonko the Sane said:

Questions:

1) Can I start multiple PMs with the same dataPad? Or would I need to acquire a new one for that?

2) What is the code for the blue and orange text used for cheering and ceasing? I'm on mobile more than PC.

1. Yes. The dataPad is the only Item that doesn't expire after use. So as long as you have Merit you can create a PM; just know that unlike other Items, this Merit will be subtracted before purchasing other Items, so you'll have to keep track of that. Because everyone starts off the game with 5 Merit that means everyone will be able to make 5 PMs on the first turn (or one PM with 5 other people, or any combination of the sort).
  3. [color=teal]cheer[/color] [color=orange]cheer[/color]

On 10/3/2016 at 2:40 PM, Bugsy6912 said:

You gorydamn Pixies think you can keep Sevro out of this game? Slag that. Watch your back, Jackal; the Goblin is coming and has a dept to repay. An eye for an eye, and all that. Howlers, on me!

Questions:

• I thought Nero was ArchGoverner and Tiberious sought to overthrow him, not vice versa. Was this intentional?
  • Will there be any hidden roles or factions
  • Do members of the Telemanus family die if the person they're protecting gets killed?
  • The merit/post method seems to disadvantage those who make wall posts. Can people use the page break to split up large posts into sections and receive a merit for each section? (Merit would be assigned at discretion of GM, of course)

For those of you who don't know what I mean by "page break", it looks like

and can be acomplished by[/color]

[hr]
  • That's correct. In the novels the roles are reversed. I made changes to the narrative to prevent spoilers for people who want to read the books.
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Telemanus will kill an assassin at the cost of their own life, yes. The flavor text will shortly be updated to remedy that confusion.
  • Tiberius understands that some lancers have busy social lives, so if they have to say a lot at once, rather than little over time, he will take that into account. If a lancer wishes to separate their points, either with multiple spaces between their paragraphs or page breaks, I'm sure the ArchGovernor would appreciate it.
On 10/3/2016 at 4:24 PM, Magestar said:

I just reread the OP.  Dang, I'm actually going to have to write some RP for this one, aren't I?  Well, be forewarned;  I've never RP'd this way before.  I fully expect to fail fantastically.

And, I too have a question;  By RP, do you just mean any writing that is game related, or some actualy Role Playing?  Also, are there any other ways to gain Merit, or is this your way of making sure that people will have to use the thread? :P 

In short, players can earn a maximum of 20 Merit per Chapter either by roleplaying or contributing or both. This allows players too choose whichever they prefer whenever they do while still making a healthy impact on the game.

On 10/3/2016 at 4:39 PM, Bugsy6912 said:

Is it ok if I RP as Sevro au Barca? I'll make it so I'm undercover as a member of family X, since Barca isn't one of the families in the game. I don't think it'd preclude me from doing anything or holding any role

I'm actually surprised I didn't even think about making a Barca role :P but yes, it's fine if you roleplay Sevro.

Edited by Amanuensis

Khazad was late... as usual. Running down the corridor, he glanced down at his golden armor, ensuring that it was spotless. It was his first meeting with anyone who held true power, and arriving at the usual fifteen minutes after wasn't going to cut it. Dashing down the hallway at top speed, he was on schedule to arrive two minutes late, a new record if he made it.

Khazad's keen eyes saw movement ahead and his hand instinctively went two his blade.

That one's not from around here. Could he be the one we're after? Khazad's Sixth Sense spoke in his mind, alert and slightly-paranoid as usual.

Khazad stopped and turned to the newcomer, who had just ducked to the side to avoid being either spotted or trampled, Khazad couldn't tell. But he trusted his Sixth Sense, and turned to the newcomer. Definitely suspicious, all right. He drew his blade and pointed it close to the newcomer's face.

The newcomer spoke, "Hello, no need to be so violent, I'm the Healer, I come in--

Don't let him speak!

Khazad's hand shot out, almost of its own volition, and closed around the newcomer's neck. The newcomer squirmed.

"Who are you? Tiberius or Augustus?

Wait... they're both golds. This one's clean.

Khazad let go of the newcomer, laughing at his own stupidity. He looked the newcomer square in the face, scanning his confused expression, his black eyes--

Black eyes?

Khazad's hand shot out again, again pinning the stranger to the wall.

"Black eyes?" he said audibly, then realized the implications of what that meant.

Releasing the stranger as if he had just touched something cursed, Khazad brought his blade up again and said, "What are you?"

A loud, unnatural screech came from somewhere in the direction the newcomer.

Demon! Kill it!

Khazad struck at the stranger, but he rolled out of the way before the blade could make contact. The stranger kicked out, trying to trip Khazad, but Khazad hardly felt the strike. This newcomer was a weakling indeed. He reasserted his attack stance, but before he could strike again the lights suddenly went dark. The glow of Khazad's blade was not enough to illuminate anything, but the sudden sound of a demon's roar knocked Khazad backward. He landed hard on his back, laying alone in the darkness, slain by the power of the demon...

Khazad came to his senses. There was no demon, only a man in golden armor bending over him with a hand outstretched.

The second stranger spoke, "I say, are you alright?". But there was something familiar about the man--

Same face! Same demon! Kill it!

Khazad leaped to his feet, the sudden exertion straining his muscles but clearing his head. He pulled out his sword again.

"Who--" But then Khazad saw the stranger's eyes: normal. A wave of relief washed over him, cleansing him of his tension. "Who are you?" Now Khazad was just confused.

"I am Spartacus!"

Khazad suddenly remembered the meeting that, just moments ago, he had been rushing to meet. He introduced himself to Spartacus without thinking too much about it, then hurriedly took off running. Spartacus followed.

"I don't think you told me your name!" Spartacus said, between strides and panted breaths.

"The name's [redacted]. Khazad [redacted]."