Excerpt from Words of Radiance: Chapters Six, Eight, and Nine

kobain

Just some thoughts:

My immediate assumption when Jasnah said Soulcasting had become more dangerous was it was a recent thing ie. within the last few years. Jasnah is a scientist it seems out of place for her to make such a definitive statement with out first hand experience.

How about "I will discover truths that are hidden" for the 2nd ideal of the lightweavers. 

At first glance I was quite dubious as to this idea.  However, how else would she know if not from personal experience?  Although, Words of Radiance (the in-book one), being a good source of info on the Lightweavers, may have had sufficient information to make such a determination by comparison of accounts in the book with her own current experience.

Edit: I thought we decided that the second ideal was "I murdered my father."  :P

Edited by Shardlet

Does anyone else feel like Dalinar being the one wrote on the wall is too easy an answer? It makes sense and I can't think of another explanation but it would be just like Brandon to turn around halfway through the book, turn the whole thing on its head and say 'haha its this other secretly foreshadowed thing you never saw coming!'

At first glance ...

Edit: I thought we decided that the second ideal was "I murdered my father."  :P

Nice!  Or maybe "All your parents are murdered by me."  Maybe Szeth is a Radiant after all :blink: .

I was under the impression that the Second Ideal of an Order had something to do with the Primary Divine Attribute associated with its Essence. So for Windrunners it is "Protecting". For Edgedancers it is "Loving" (or in Lift's words "caring"), which if you think about it is one way to interpret "I will remember those who have been forgotten". Basically, they promise to perform a particular virtue towards those who need it the most.

For Shallan, "illuminating what's hidden" sounds like a function of "Honesty", which is her Secondary Divine Attribute, not her Primary one (which is "Creative"), so that can't be her Second Ideal. Perhaps it's her Third Ideal?

As for "learning what was lost", that sounds more like the 5th/Palah Order's "Learned" Attribute, though it's an understandable error since the Ars Arcanum of WoK mistakenly switched the 5th and 7th's Divine Attributes. (Whoops, it appears it was actually the 5th and 2nd Divine attributes that was switched.)

If I'm correct about the Primary Divine Attribute connection, then the Lightweavers' Second Ideal would be something like "I will create/find a way for those who are desperate", while the Elsecallers would have something like "I will enlighten those in grave error".

Edited by skaa

Lightweavers are a bloodthirsty bunch.

Does anyone else feel like Dalinar being the one wrote on the wall is too easy an answer? It makes sense and I can't think of another explanation but it would be just like Brandon to turn around halfway through the book, turn the whole thing on its head and say 'haha its this other secretly foreshadowed thing you never saw coming!'

I agree, I still think a Parshmen (Shen? A servant in Dalinar's rooms?) could have done it. Still, Dalinar writing the message would work for the narrative, because it suggests something is wrong with him.

Here's a random thought: what if "Pattern" dislikes the concept of eating because it's possible to devour bondingspren like Cryptics somehow? We know that spren can be trapped in gemhearts to access a certain magical effect. What if devouring and metabolizing a spren can produce a greater effect, the same way "burning" metals does in Allomancy? What if one of the intelligent species on Roshar have been Invested with the ability to "burn" spren?

Here's a random thought: what if "Pattern" dislikes the concept of eating because it's possible to devour bondingspren like Cryptics somehow? We know that spren can be trapped in gemhearts to access a certain magical effect. What if devouring and metabolizing a spren can produce a greater effect, the same way "burning" metals does in Allomancy? What if one of the intelligent species on Roshar have been Invested with the ability to "burn" spren?

No, I believe Pattern dislikes destruction in general because Shallan's primary attribute is Creative. So destruction being completely opposite seems completely vulgar and loathsome to Pattern. I believe its the same reason Syl hates killing.

No, I believe Pattern dislikes destruction in general because Shallan's primary attribute is Creative. So destruction being completely opposite seems completely vulgar and loathsome to Pattern. I believe its the same reason Syl hates killing.

That's probably true, yeah. :) Of course, while he might have said that for that reason, Brandon might have had multiple reasons for putting that dialogue in... like, say, to hint at another way to harness Rosharian Investiture.

I know, I know, I should stop making such random theories... *grumbles while walking away*

That's probably true, yeah. :) Of course, while he might have said that for that reason, Brandon might have had multiple reasons for putting that dialogue in... like, say, to hint at another way to harness Rosharian Investiture.

I know, I know, I should stop making such random theories... *grumbles while walking away*

Could be more simple than that, the fruit was poisoned?

This made me picture Dalinar learning about Kaladin's path to a KR by having Syl see one of the fabrials, turning visible and going off on Navani. Lmao

Eh. Syl probably recognises the difference between standard and sentient spren like we see the difference between plants and people.

We don't for certain that the Second Ideal is about the primary Divine Attribute. I support this theory, but wanted to give you a heads up - it's a theory, not a fact. Yet.

Regarding Pattern's feelings towards eating... I am not sure if the Lightweavers' primary Divine Attribute (creative) is necessarily juxtaposed with destruction. When I think of someone creative, I don't put them on the opposite end of someone destructive. Bah, stupid English, kolo? What I am trying to say is that being creative and creating things are not the same things in my head.

"Creative" means something odd on Roshar, where Shallan draws creationspren by making photorealistic art. I'd expect something more insightful, stylized, or interpretive would be more creative, but that's not what gets the spren. Also, spren categorize into emotions, natural, and voidish. Creationspren don't fit easily, but in a setting where Transformation is a surge, "natural" is somewhat broader than the physical. Helping Cognitive abstractions into a Physical form could be what draws creationspren, and they'd categorize with other natural, Cultivation-based spren. After all, what gets the most creationspren ever is helping Pattern cross over.

"I will create things that cannot creative themselves," is a bit goofy sounding, but I expect that's what it will be, if rephrased. It's what she did for Pattern anyway.

"Creative" means something odd on Roshar, where Shallan draws creationspren by making photorealistic art. I'd expect something more insightful, stylized, or interpretive would be more creative, but that's not what gets the spren. Also, spren categorize into emotions, natural, and voidish. Creationspren don't fit easily, but in a setting where Transformation is a surge, "natural" is somewhat broader than the physical. Helping Cognitive abstractions into a Physical form could be what draws creationspren, and they'd categorize with other natural, Cultivation-based spren. After all, what gets the most creationspren ever is helping Pattern cross over.

"I will create things that cannot creative themselves," is a bit goofy sounding, but I expect that's what it will be, if rephrased. It's what she did for Pattern anyway.

In the case of Shallan and Pattern though, what could be more creative than bringing a living concept into the physical realm?  I suspect that this is why there are so many creationspren that turned up.  

Also, it should be noted that they are called creationspren rather than creativespren or artspren.

Edit: maybe I should read the whole post I'm responding to before responding.

Edited by Shardlet

I also don't want us to get bogged down in the idea that all of the Second Ideals are of the form "I will [primary Divine Attribute] those who [state of lack or need of said primary attribute]." It could very well be that the Lightweavers' Second Ideal reads something like "I will create."

Nice!  Or maybe "All your parents are murdered by me."  Maybe Szeth is a Radiant after all :blink: .

I also don't want us to get bogged down in the idea that all of the Second Ideals are of the form "I will [primary Divine Attribute] those who [state of lack or need of said primary attribute]." It could very well be that the Lightweavers' Second Ideal reads something like "I will create."

Sooo... How does "I will murder the parents that cannot murder themselves" sound for the Second Ideal?