Glys

thegatorgirl00

Recently, while looking through Theoryland, I found this WoB on Glys. 

INTERVIEW: Dec 12th, 2015

Barnes & Noble Orem

QUESTION

What does Glys look like?

I can’t tell you. What Glys looks like is important. 

TAGS

Glys,

(source

I started thinking about why Glys's appearance might be important, and I came up with a few possible reasons. 

1. We have seen Truthwatcherspren before. 

I'm not sure where this would have happened, though. The only unknown spren I can think of is the suspected captivityspren Kaladin sees in jail. 

2. Truthwatcherspren have a significant feature in their appearance.   

The Truthwatchers are the order directly opposite of the Bondsmiths, who bond with godspren, so I could see Truthwatcherspren being different from other spren as well  

3. Glys looks different from other Truthwatcherspren. 

I don't know why this would be true. Maybe since Renarin is the first Truthwatcher in a long time, they didn't send a "normal" spren. 

4. Glys is not a Truthwatcherspren. 

Personally, this is my least favorite theory. I don't think it is true, but I felt I should put it up here. If Brandon told us that Glys has glowing red eyes, that would definitely be significant. 

Tell me me which theory you like and agree with, or if you have a theory of your own. 

I have a theory that Ym's spren, described as a spot of light with crystals growing out of it, is a Truthwatcher Radiantspren. It is similar to that of Wyndle, which is growing vines with crystals growing out of the vines.

Which is why what Glys looks like is VERY important, because we have (most probably) seen a Truthwatcher spren before in Ym's. Radiant (Illumination) with crystal growth (Regrowth). 

If Glys doesn't look like that, then... :( That would make me sad as well. I don't want Renarin to be an eventual betrayer (by binding a Void spren) to the family/Knights Radiant for power. It doesn't seem like his style, nor is it something I'd want to read. 

47 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

Glys is not a Truthwatcherspren.

This would be my tentative vote mainly because of this ->

24 minutes ago, Stormgate said:

I have a theory that Ym's spren, described as a spot of light with crystals growing out of it, is a Truthwatcher Radiantspren.

Combined with this ->

48 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

QUESTION

What does Glys look like?

I can’t tell you. What Glys looks like is important. 

If we could compare Glys to Ym's spren then we might notice right away that one of these two spren is not what they claim to be.

She actually looks like Martha.  It's going to get the Voidbringers to reconcile with the Radiants once Venli sees her.

Anyways, I'm not super inclined to believe that Renarin bonded some voidspren.  It's possible that Glys has already been corrupted by Sja-anat, but I feel like it's way too early for that (we've only seen Sja-anat in a flashback).

Also, if we assume that Renarin is farther along Truthwatching than Ym was, is it possible that Truthwatcherspren have some sort of defining feature that may give away too much info?  Maybe they can change shapes (or colors, or something) while they read the future?

Brandon has steadily refused to tell us which order Ym belonged to and it wasn't for lack of fans asking. His answers have always been evasive which makes me think there is something going on he prefers to safe-keep for future books. Why knowing if Ym was either a Truthwatcher or an Edgedancer is so important? Quite frankly, I have no idea. Even if he was a Truthwatcher, I fail to see what it tells us about Renarin which we shouldn't know.

I have thus to conclude knowing Ym was a Truthwatcher combined to knowing what Glys looks like MAY give something away... Something is going on with Renarin which isn't normal, of this I am convinced. Too many hints were dropped for it not to be true: there is the clue, hidden somewhere in WoR nobody has managed to find except those who were told about it by the author. There is also this massive spoiler regarding Renarin Argent got last year and while he cannot speak about it, he did say it was a good one.

I am not sure Glys is a Voidspren, but I certainly think something is off with Renarin and his Radianhood, but it may not be what we think.

I want to know, who curved glyphs predicting the upcoming of Everstorm in the room? Many said it's Renarin. So if it's true...

Isn't Renarin foreseeing the future? Then, isn't forecasting of Odium?!

(I haven't made much research on this area, so apologize if I said anything incorrect

Maybe Glys looks like small brown bubbles clinging to objects nearby? Do Alespren bond? :ph34r:

Sorry, just kidding! Couldn't help myself... Actually, I didn't know about that WoB but wondered why we didn't see Glys after we'd already seen Ym's spren. (I think he's a truthwatcher, although I wouldn't think it entirely impossible that Edgedancer's spren can differ so widely as Ym's spren and Wyndle. They do have some similarities.)

Syl has seen stormspren / voidspren about ... I'd hate a storyline where Renarin turns bad. But what about a storyline where he resists the influence of a bad or corrupted spren, once he realizes what it is? Stays 'good', maybe even 'converts' his spren? I'd like to see that... (And something like 'converting spren' needs to be possible, considering Dalinar and the Stormfather.)

12 minutes ago, Sam Script said:

I want to know, who curved glyphs predicting the upcoming of Everstorm in the room? Many said it's Renarin. So if it's true...

(I haven't made much research on this area, so apologize if I said anything incorrect

IIRC Foretelling is of Cultivation. I think Syl's and Vorinism's warning against it has to do with their alignment with Honor (and the history of the Hierocracy) but I don't think we need to accept their verdict that it is bad in itself. Even Honor did a little foretelling in the visions he shows Dalinar.

Edited by Erklitt
How dare I spell a god without a capital? :-)

2 hours ago, Sam Script said:

I thought Dalinar carved those glyphs while having his visions.

52 minutes ago, Chull #445 said:

I thought Dalinar carved those glyphs while having his visions.

The truth is we don't really know. But many think (myself included) that Renarin used Dalinar's knife. On every occurence, he was or could have been nearby. Honor's visions are not really foresight, while the glyphs are. And in the oathgate control room (? did that room have a name?) Renarin writes those zeroes which seem to be the end of the countdown. So there's some evidence pointing to him.

All Shards are capable of the same feats, just to varying degrees. Cultivation, and presumably Odium, are just much better at seeing the future than Honour was. The general consensus is Renarin due to the oathgate scene. I think the mystery of Renarin's Spren is perhaps maybe, the truthwatchers are the order thats closest to Cultivation

Maybe it's not really relevant what Ym was.

But I have an idea about the reason mister sanderson don't want to tell us how Glys is (an yes this reason is linked to Ym, Nale and Lift).

I think Nale is hunting down only the Edgedancers (for some reason that at the moment I can't truly understand), maybe it's something like "their attitude would cause problems in the future", If he tell us how Glys looks we know quite in the same time, if Ym was Truthwatcher or Edgedancer... And together we may see how the only two attacks of Nale showed to us are about the same order (or we may see my idea be destroyed)

He also show us a not standard Edgedancer. Lift sees her spren differenly than how a standard human would see that kind of spren... This may be some kind of Brandon's misdirection to us (and Ym had an attitute for charity like Lift but we saw too little of the character to use this as proof).

Edited by Yata

@ParadoxSpren, @Eki The last vision was a very little bit of foresight, and Honor himself says he is bad at it. It's not really his thing, just like Syl says. ('Foretelling the future is not of Honor' or something like that.)

@ParadoxSpren Maybe I missed something in your argument: I don't see why Renarin's spren being of Cultivation would make it necessary to keep it a mystery? Wyndle is at least close to Cultivation too, and we have seen him.

@Yata Certainly possible. But I don't think so. For one thing, that doesn't sound like too big a spoiler if we realized that. So Nale may come for Renarin someday - is that reason enough for such a mystery? It won't be the only danger Renarin will be in. The second reason I don't think so is the Lift excerpt from the newsletter.

Spoiler

It doesn't clearly say so, but it seems like Nale could be after Hauka, the possible budding Skybreaker.

The third reason is my 'The Faithful Order hides as the Shin leadership, and Nale hunts them' theory of a few days ago.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/55169-the-stone-shamans-and-the-faithful-order-extended-version/

I do agree though that in the special texture of Lift's POV, there's a lot of potential for red herrings, which might void reason 2. 1 is a matter of taste, and 3 is just my own woolgathering, so you might be on to something.

Edited by Erklitt

@Erklitt Of course you may have right, but for example knowing that Nale will never try to hunt our main characters (Kaladin, Renarin, Shallan, Dalinar, Jasnah) because he hunt only the Edgedancers is something really relevant to the story I think.... But I may see how my motivations aren't  really solid ^_^

1 hour ago, Yata said:

@Erklitt Of course you may have right, but for example knowing that Nale will never try to hunt our main characters (Kaladin, Renarin, Shallan, Dalinar, Jasnah) because he hunt only the Edgedancers is something really relevant to the story I think.... But I may see how my motivations aren't  really solid ^_^

So just to make sure I understand your theory correctly. You are positing that Ym's and Lift's spren are the same. That both are edgedancer. That the only reason they appear different is because of Lift's unique trait due to Old Magic, so she sees him more fully in the physical realm instead of just like light in Ym's case? It is an interesting theory, and one that cannot be disproved at this point, but I personally am leaning towards the butler did it. Simply they are two different spren because they look and act different. 

I just re-read Ym's Interlude and the similarities are strikingly close. Maybe it's possible to see it better if further along? Also, Ym had jsut started to see it. It was just learning to speak, so maybe it becomes more visible as it adapts to the PR? Anyway, I'm incined to agree with Yata that they are the same type of spren.

19 minutes ago, Argel said:

I just re-read Ym's Interlude and the similarities are strikingly close. Maybe it's possible to see it better if further along? Also, Ym had jsut started to see it. It was just learning to speak, so maybe it becomes more visible as it adapts to the PR? Anyway, I'm incined to agree with Yata that they are the same type of spren.

my problem with the theory that the reason they appear different is that they are at different levels of their oaths, is that lift knew abrasion first and then regrowth (in regards to healing). Ym already knew regrowth in regards to healing. So technically at the moment we meet them, Ym would be further along in his oaths then. So Wyndle should have taken on the appearance of Ym's spren when Lift healed, not the other way around. I admit the appearance difference could be the result of old magic interfering, but I personally do not think that is the case. I think this is one of those situations where the simplest answer is the correct answer. 

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

my problem with the theory that the reason they appear different is that they are at different levels of their oaths, is that lift knew abrasion first and then regrowth (in regards to healing). Ym already knew regrowth in regards to healing. So technically at the moment we meet them, Ym would be further along in his oaths then. So Wyndle should have taken on the appearance of Ym's spren when Lift healed, not the other way around. I admit the appearance difference could be the result of old magic interfering, but I personally do not think that is the case. I think this is one of those situations where the simplest answer is the correct answer. 

I agree. To me there basically 3 options. 

1. Edgedancer spren, being mostly of Cultivations... Cultivate different apperances. Sly can appear differently, as wind or as a human form. Pattern doesn't seem to be able to appear with a human form and always slides along the ground. It could be that Edgedancer spren just naturally appear differently... therefore Glys wouldn't necessarily clue us into anything, but then why keep it secret?
  2. Wyndle is an Edgedancer Spren, Ym's was a Truthwatcher, and that explains their differences, and Glys matches one which tell us what is going on with Renarin specifically
  3. Glys' appearance isn't related to either and is a huge clue about something else and... well who knows but it is significant enough that we have to RAFO 

One thing that never fully made sense to me about Ym was the timing of his bond. His interlude takes place after part 1, which is around the same time Renarin and Lift first began to bond with Glys and Wyndle. That means one of those two orders sent out multiple spren at once to find humans, which is something we haven't seen in any other spren yet. The honorspren were so distrustful, Syl had to sneak away without permission, and Pattern is certain Shallan will kill him. It seems suspicious that an order of spren would be so willing to risk their numbers forming bonds. To me, this seems like further evidence that something is off with Glys, like maybe Ym was their intended first Truthwatcher and Renarin is different somehow. 

14 minutes ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

One thing that never fully made sense to me about Ym was the timing of his bond. His interlude takes place after part 1, which is around the same time Renarin and Lift first began to bond with Glys and Wyndle. That means one of those two orders sent out multiple spren at once to find humans, which is something we haven't seen in any other spren yet. The honorspren were so distrustful, Syl had to sneak away without permission, and Pattern is certain Shallan will kill him. It seems suspicious that an order of spren would be so willing to risk their numbers forming bonds. To me, this seems like further evidence that something is off with Glys, like maybe Ym was their intended first Truthwatcher and Renarin is different somehow. 

Well regarding Syl it was more in defiance of the Stormfather's wishes. Regarding Pattern, his research of Shallan looked pretty much approved by his type of spren. She was observed by numerous cryptics (when she drew, there were three or so of them watching her). Also there is the theory that what Elhokar saw were the cryptics watching him too and he might be a lightweaver. Since each order seems to have their own unique type of spren, I do not think it would be a stretch to think that they would handle the re-founding of the knights differently. Syl did it rebelliously, Pattern did it for research, Wyndle did it as per "Mother's" orders, Stormfather did it begrudgingly and Ivory we have no clue. 

6 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

So just to make sure I understand your theory correctly. You are positing that Ym's and Lift's spren are the same. That both are edgedancer. That the only reason they appear different is because of Lift's unique trait due to Old Magic, so she sees him more fully in the physical realm instead of just like light in Ym's case? It is an interesting theory, and one that cannot be disproved at this point, but I personally am leaning towards the butler did it. Simply they are two different spren because they look and act different. 

Yes you understood the main point (For example I think Lift will see Pattern more like the Cryptics Shallan saw in the Cognitive).

Edited by Yata