On 7/10/2016 at 4:04 AM, eramit said:

The whole thing stinks from Derethi involvment: few hours before Cloudjumper is being lynched suddenly few people vote to lynch cnoq and Cloud says he is a Duelist - which cant be proved because the senator can always lie about the result and suddenly people adress his words like a fact. It looks to me like the Derethi tryed to cover their friend while putting someone else in the spotlight which (luckily for us) was from the cultists.

Or...the more likely thing happened. I am actually a village duelist and El is not lying. To me, it looks like you're just trying to find an excuse to be suspicious of me and El.

I think people were going to lynch Conq because they wanted to scan me instead of lynch me, not because they were Derithi. Keep in mind that some of the people who voted for Conq at the end still said they were suspicious of me.

Hypothetically, if I and El were both Derithi, we would not take the chance, because there are probably only one or two players at most who are Derithi in the senate. Eighty to sixty percent of the time the information would fall to the hands of the innocent. Kolo?

Edit: Even if El was Derithi and I wasn't, she still wouldn't lie because if they kill me, they'll see that I'm not Derithi. Then they'd lynch her.

Edited by cloudjumper

Hello all, apologies for my absence until this point.

Couple of things I've been thinking about. I'm not altogether sure that aiming the senate scan away from the senate itself, is a good thing to be doing. From what I've read the main two arguments for doing this are; we won't be able to trust the results as they are only given to one senator who might have reason to lie, and that if we start recalling senators as a result of the scans, the cultists wont need to stick their necks out as much to have an opportunity to elevate one of their own. There's also a one in five chance that the scan will be pointless.

Its 3am and I don't really feel like writing an essay so I'll just dot point the reasons I think we should be scanning those in the senate.

- In terms of scanning,  learning alignment is the no1. goal of the village, learning roles is the no1. goal of the eliminator factions

- If we need to risk revealing roles to the eliminator factions, those who are revealed should have the greatest chance of being protected. i.e. by duellists.

- Regardless of who the next target of the scan is, I'd ask that only the alignment is revealed. Cloud was unavoidable given the role claim, however public knowledge of roles does not benefit the village in this case. If we say from the start that only the alignments are going to be revealed, we remove arguments about people trying to unnecessarily hide information in the future.

-  If a derethi finds a cultist within the senate, they become more of a target than a cultist out of the senate, potentially drawing a night kill away from the village. Or they are revealed to the public and we lynch the cultist, so win win. Similarly in reverse.

- The only scenario in which the person receiving information would benefit from lying is if they were in an eliminator faction and scanned someone in the same faction, which I don't think is all that likely to happen.

Basically, as the senators wield a substantial amount of power, as well as being the basis for a win condition, quite rightly the magnifying glass is on them. That's why I back Meta's proposal of senators making a case for themselves, and would further that by asking the senators to resist the urge of acting at random or on a hunch. Your positions carry weight and will be scrutinised, so if you can't logically justify actions that you take, the village could well tunnel in on an innocent.

I 100% agree with revealing alignment but not role. That will make it harder for the eliminators to find and kill the important roles. (Unless the Senator who gets the information is an eliminator, but then if the elims kill the scanned person and they're the monk or something, that Senator is instantly suspicious.)

Well, at the moment, it doesn't matter. Almost none of the Senators have spoken up at all. On top of that, the night is over half done at this point. Even the village Senators failed us here in their complacency.

Not that we're doing a much better job. The only recall vote is mine, so it's not like we're putting a lot of pressure on them to come forward and speak up. 

We can still make this work.

I have a gut feeling that something's up with Aman from his early day 1 posts, but I don't trust myself on it without further significant thought, which I'm unlikely to be able to do tomorrow.

Instead, I'm going to increase the pressure on Elenion - why shouldn't we recall you?

I think with normal levels of activity, we can reasonably expect this to get somewhere.

Just caught up from last night. Wow that was another lucky lynch! I need to more carefully review the senate doc when I can get on my computer (within the next hour or so, need to take the dog for a walk and get some dinner) in order to put some input towards the senate repeal. I will be fully active all day tomorrow that is a promise! 

17 hours ago, Metacognition said:

And unless I'm mistaken, it looks like a landlord moved their anonymous vote onto him as well. That's a lot of people that wanted a "random" inactive dead, IMO. Just seems a little too easy.

@Metacognition Landlords can only add extra votes for senate elections and recalls, not lynches. It's in the character description in the OP.

@OrlokTsubodai and @Metacognition, here's my responses:

Okay everyone, sorry for the inactive stretch. I signed off last night, woke up early for MTM, napped due to sleep deprivation, attended presidency meeting, caught my church block, and now am finally out. I will be off again from 5 pm to 6:30 (mountain time) due to a home teaching appointment and dinner.

As for voting me out, I know that I am clearly suspicious. I changed my vote around a lot, for the purpose of scaring people into speaking up, just like you have done with me now (nice tactic, by the way). My alignment is village, although I understand that that doesn't really say much because I'd say that even if I was an eliminator. Now for my response to being voted out: It really depends on what you want. If you want a character in the senate who is not an eliminator while still being aggressive enough to pressure them into making a mistake, I'm your man. If you disapproved of my voting scare tactics and think I'm too aggressive (or even think that I'm an eliminator) I would suggest you vote against me. I'm happy with either result: the senate has more power but also has a much higher risk of being sacrificed by a cultist next night. [And for those past-thread-scanners out there, I've gotten over my leaving-senate paranoia.]

Sorry for not getting online sooner. Between work commitments and course work, I haven't had much time for anything else today. Suppose that's what I get for procrastinating my responsibilities and assignments. I don't have enough time to analyze the votes as thoroughly as I'd like, but I'll go ahead and make some quick comments before I go back to writing this accursed essay.

Well that is a welcome surprise. At least that explains all the votes on him. Since he was an inactive member, I won't be surprised at all if the Cultists tossed him under the bus, as it were. I'll bet that there are one or two that voted for him in the hopes of clearing themselves to a degree.

And unless I'm mistaken, it looks like a landlord moved their anonymous vote onto him as well. That's a lot of people that wanted a "random" inactive dead, IMO. Just seems a little too easy. 

Considering how many votes stacked on him by the end I'm inclined to agree with you. Seonid did the exact same thing in LG22 with the day one vote on Sart, and besides me no one had any suspicion for him following it, so I could definitely see a Jeskeri trying to pull off a similar feat, especially if Conq's death was inevitable. Since this game has no lynch vote manipulations (the Landlord can only affect election votes), if a player is already in the lead it makes little logical sense to continue voting for that player. I'll have to go back and see if anyone tried to shift the vote off of him towards the end or threw a vote on them when it wasn't necessary, as if a player did either one of those things, I reckon there's a good chance they're a Jeskeri.

As far as the Senators go, I think that each one should make a case for themselves before we vote. That way, if there is an Eliminator Senator (which I do think there is, considering my suspicions) and they want to stay in their position of power, they have to try to convince us to leave them in there. That way, if someone is trying too hard, they might be a Cultist. 

20 minutes ago, Seonid said:

I think that Meta's idea is a valuable one. In the spirit of spreading the pressure around, I'm going to vote to recall Aman. Why should you remain a senator?

7 minutes ago, cloudjumper said:

Elenion last was on 17 hours ago.

Aman was last online 7 minutes ago.

Elenion (2): Meta, Orlok

Aman (1): Seonid

Aman, what do you have to say?

Patience, cloud :P I'm getting there. Why do I, in particular, think I should remain a senator? In my mind I'd rather keep my position because I can trust myself with it. Beyond that, it just comes down to strategy. I've already discussed the previous turn why I think it's smarter to leave the Senate as it is. Voting for Senators to be recalled is just another way for the eliminators to strip villagers of its power. Like with lynch votes, they possess more information than the average player and can coordinate their votes and arguments to manipulate us. I believe its unlikely that the villagers don't already hold the majority in the Senate, therefore it makes the most sense that we be left in our positions so that they are forced to use their kills to remove us. I believe it's the best way we can prevent the Jeskeri from posturing themselves for a win, while we can more thoroughly focus on the Derethi.

11 hours ago, eramit said:

The whole thing stinks from Derethi involvment: few hours before Cloudjumper is being lynched suddenly few people vote to lynch cnoq and Cloud says he is a Duelist - which cant be proved because the senator can always lie about the result and suddenly people adress his words like a fact. It looks to me like the Derethi tryed to cover their friend while putting someone else in the spotlight which (luckily for us) was from the cultists.

7 hours ago, cloudjumper said:

Or...the more likely thing happened. I am actually a village duelist and El is not lying. To me, it looks like you're just trying to find an excuse to be suspicious of me and El.

I think people were going to lynch Conq because they wanted to scan me instead of lynch me, not because they were Derithi. Keep in mind that some of the people who voted for Conq at the end still said they were suspicious of me.

Hypothetically, if I and El were both Derithi, we would not take the chance, because there are probably only one or two players at most who are Derithi in the senate. Eighty to sixty percent of the time the information would fall to the hands of the innocent. Kolo?

Edit: Even if El was Derithi and I wasn't, she still wouldn't lie because if they kill me, they'll see that I'm not Derithi. Then they'd lynch her.

I'm with cloud here, and am very likely going to suggest you for the scan next, eramit. While I do think it's likely that a Derethi was involved in Conq's lynch, I don't believe cloud is one. As for Elbereth... I'm not entirely sure how I feel about her yet. I'll have to analyze what she's said and done later when I have more time. No matter what her alignment is, I still think it's more likely that cloud is a villager. If a Senator slot opens up tonight I would recommend him for the position.

5 hours ago, Eolhondras said:

Couple of things I've been thinking about. I'm not altogether sure that aiming the senate scan away from the senate itself, is a good thing to be doing. From what I've read the main two arguments for doing this are; we won't be able to trust the results as they are only given to one senator who might have reason to lie, and that if we start recalling senators as a result of the scans, the cultists wont need to stick their necks out as much to have an opportunity to elevate one of their own. There's also a one in five chance that the scan will be pointless.

Its 3am and I don't really feel like writing an essay so I'll just dot point the reasons I think we should be scanning those in the senate.

- In terms of scanning,  learning alignment is the no1. goal of the village, learning roles is the no1. goal of the eliminator factions

- If we need to risk revealing roles to the eliminator factions, those who are revealed should have the greatest chance of being protected. i.e. by duellists.

- Regardless of who the next target of the scan is, I'd ask that only the alignment is revealed. Cloud was unavoidable given the role claim, however public knowledge of roles does not benefit the village in this case. If we say from the start that only the alignments are going to be revealed, we remove arguments about people trying to unnecessarily hide information in the future.

-  If a derethi finds a cultist within the senate, they become more of a target than a cultist out of the senate, potentially drawing a night kill away from the village. Or they are revealed to the public and we lynch the cultist, so win win. Similarly in reverse.

- The only scenario in which the person receiving information would benefit from lying is if they were in an eliminator faction and scanned someone in the same faction, which I don't think is all that likely to happen.

Basically, as the senators wield a substantial amount of power, as well as being the basis for a win condition, quite rightly the magnifying glass is on them. That's why I back Meta's proposal of senators making a case for themselves, and would further that by asking the senators to resist the urge of acting at random or on a hunch. Your positions carry weight and will be scrutinised, so if you can't logically justify actions that you take, the village could well tunnel in on an innocent.

I'll have to respond to this, and everything after it, next turn. Before I leave, however, I'll just say really quick that I agree that alignment is the only thing that should be revealed publicly and that I disagree with using the Investigation on the Senators. I've already explained why before, but if I need to explain my thought process more thoroughly, I'll do so tomorrow. Either way, just because there's a group of 5 people who have the power to cast the necessary votes, that doesn't mean the general population are powerless. I didn't bother with doing a lynch vote in there because I think stacking 3 votes is pointless early game. It'll probably be an important mechanic when our numbers get a lot lower, but until then the village majority should be able to dictate who gets lynched on their own. As for the scan vote I went with the obvious choice: confirming cloud's claim. That and more people outside of the Senate agreed that scanning the runner-up in the lynches is a good plan.

That's all I've got time for right now. I'll get on again as soon as I can.

Awww yiss, one eliminator down... even if all those votes piling up on him did seem a little odd. Just wish he'd been active so we could go back and re-analyze his (nonexistent) posts. d: 

Elenion, it does seem odd to me that you don't mind leaving the Senate. If I was on the Senate, I'd want to stay on there, regardless of the fact that it would make me a bigger target for the eliminators, because I know that I'm a villager and getting recalled would mean opening up a spot for someone whose alignment I don't know. Frankly, I can't see any reason for someone to be OK with being recalled, unless your win con isn't associated with the Senate's composition. (So... Derethi.) I'm not accusing you- not by a long shot- but I am a little confused.

Also, to make sure I have things straight: lynches are the only thing that happen during day cycles, then night cycles is when both elections, both eliminations, and all the role-specific actions take place (if there are any)??

Just to add more logic to the plan of not scanning senators:

By scanning other people, we basically are scanning senators, except we're scanning potential senators. We know that the senators currently in office are bound to die, so instead of proving them, it's more important to know who will be safe to vote in as a future senator.

3 minutes ago, Ecthelion III said:

Just to add more logic to the plan of not scanning senators:

By scanning other people, we basically are scanning senators, except we're scanning potential senators. We know that the senators currently in office are bound to die, so instead of proving them, it's more important to know who will be safe to vote in as a future senator.

Except that we're letting the corruption, if any, grow. I think I fall on Eol's side here. I think we should scan any Senators who don't die and aren't recalled. I'd like to be more confident that the scan results are going to be honest. Since I doubt either of the eliminator factions started with multiple Senators, if we scan them all, we should get honest results except for if the 20% falls on the Senator themself. Because of that, I would prefer to keep the Senate full, so that the chance of a Senator getting their own scan is reduced. 

12 hours ago, eramit said:

Okay. So yes, it's possible that Cloud and I are on the same eliminator faction to cover him up. But really? One, I took my vote off of Eramit before I left. If I really didn't want Cloud scanned I would have left that vote right where it was. And in general, banking on a teammate getting the scan result is ridiculously risky and dumb. Two, if I were an eliminator and he wasn't (which is in fact plausible), I wouldn't have revealed him at all. I'd just have kept quiet that I received the scan at all. So that's my thoughts on the subject. 

6 hours ago, Eolhondras said:

I'm happy with the revealing only alignment thing, as everyone seems to be. As for scanning Senators... hm. I can see the duelist argument, but other than that I think non-Senators is maybe a little more useful, for two reasons: One, as you say, the Senate has a magnifying glass on them. They're already under lots of attention, and thus we're more likely to catch out the eliminators among them. (One point towards using the Senate doc, actually, is that it forces the eliminators into realtime reactions, which are much more difficult to fake than a post that you have plenty of time to revise and go over with teammates or whatever.) Two, they're also the people most marked for death in this game, so scanning them is less useful because they have a higher likelihood of dying and having their alignment revealed anyway. 

1 hour ago, emilylime said:

Elenion, it does seem odd to me that you don't mind leaving the Senate. If I was on the Senate, I'd want to stay on there, regardless of the fact that it would make me a bigger target for the eliminators, because I know that I'm a villager and getting recalled would mean opening up a spot for someone whose alignment I don't know. Frankly, I can't see any reason for someone to be OK with being recalled, unless your win con isn't associated with the Senate's composition. (So... Derethi.) I'm not accusing you- not by a long shot- but I am a little confused.

Also, to make sure I have things straight: lynches are the only thing that happen during day cycles, then night cycles is when both elections, both eliminations, and all the role-specific actions take place (if there are any)??

While I can't really refute this argument (only thing I have to say is really that if people consider me suspicious enough to be recalled, that's fair. They're not correct, so I won't want that to happen, but I have no particular objection to not being a Senator, only to the replacing me with someone else part, if that makes sense?), it's interesting to me that you asked about Elenion doing this but made no reference of me, when I said practically exactly the same thing? 

And yep, that's correct. 

Oh, and Mek? I actually did choose a name in the signup thread. :P Saoli. 

I'd be okay with recalling Elenion (several things have come off as rather awkwardly worded to me, but it's possible that that's newness), but I like the Senate staying the same plan more, so I won't vote, I don't think. 

While Eramit's post is, as has been pointed out, unlikely, to say the least, I do agree with part of it. I do think the Jeskeri were involved in the lynch swap as Aman or Meta said. Once it became clear he was going to be lynched, I'm betting one of them, at least, joined that wagon. So while I don't know how much the Derethi were involved, I think the Jeskeri definitely were. 

El, I would like to point out that while "banking on a teammate to get the result is risky and dumb" is correct and I agree, the alternative was that Cloud was getting lynched. So, in the scenario where you're both on an evil team together, it was either let a teammate die D1 or take a 20% chance you help him survive a lot longer and the 80% chance he at least survives another day. I don't think this is all that likely, but I do see the possibility that Eramit brings up. 

Ookay, I've had more time to review things and a have a couple of thoughts.  First of all, I agree that it makes sense to not shift around the senate too much (especially this early in the game) because, like others have said the villagers in the senate would become targets for the cultists. Those who remain undisturbed are more likely to be an eliminator.  This is still a problem though, because we don't know if the senate started out in their favor or ours.  They would have no reason to kill a village senator if they already hold the majority. 

Also, to comment on scanning senators, I honestly don't care either way.  I think regardless of who gets scanned it is unlikely we can be sure of the results depending on who gets them.  And if the senator being scanned gets their own results that ends up being a waste.  At the same time the chances of that are slim and the benefit I think outweighs the cost.  Its also important to remember that we have three competing win-cons here, and therefore they will have no reason to protect each other, so the only real risk is say a cultist in senate getting the results for another cultist, and so on.  The chances of this are low however, and I don't see why a Derethi wouldn't out a cultist and vice versa.  I agree that scanning results should be limited to alignment and not reveal roles as well, in the case of villagers, so that we aren't making an important role a big target.

And finally, I absolutely believe that conqs teammates were involved in his lynching, I would be suspicious of anyone who changed last minute.  Going over the doc I remembered last night that Bard was going to push the senate vote on the cloud which would have lynched cloud at the time but decided not to and to go with the conq lynch instead. I've tried to compare times votes were placed and I believe Bard could've pushed the lynch either way, which would make me fairly certain that he is at least not a Cultist. 

4 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

El, I would like to point out that while "banking on a teammate to get the result is risky and dumb" is correct and I agree, the alternative was that Cloud was getting lynched. So, in the scenario where you're both on an evil team together, it was either let a teammate die D1 or take a 20% chance you help him survive a lot longer and the 80% chance he at least survives another day. I don't think this is all that likely, but I do see the possibility that Eramit brings up. 

Hm, okay. That's fair enough, I suppose. Still don't like the idea of such a risky gambit, but I could see it. Never mind that, then. 

7 minutes ago, jaimeleecee said:

I've tried to compare times votes were placed and I believe Bard could've pushed the lynch either way, which would make me fairly certain that he is at least not a Cultist.

Really it was Bard and I who finalized the lynch last night; between the two of us we could have pushed the vote to Cloud or to Conq. I was waiting for his input, and would have gone along with whomever he called. So yes, it really was him who pushed the lynch to Conq.

13 hours ago, eramit said:

The Derethi weren't covering their friend unless both Cloud and Elbereth are Derethi, and that would have taken some serious gambling on the return from that scan, because the chance that a Derethi started in the Senate is low, and the chance that they got the results even smaller. I think it's more likely that they knew that neither Cloud nor Conq were Derethi and so just bandwagoned on Conq (who already had more votes at the time), leaving Young Bard and I to use the senate inspection vote on Cloud. Funny enough, that in itself cleared you from the scan, Eramit.

@jaimeleecee Looking at the votes, between Bard and I we could have taken away 5 votes from Conq and handed them all to Cloud, putting him in a position to look like the definite choice of the populace. Since I hinged my vote on his (see above), we could have saved a Cultist easily. Bard is clean from my suspicions of Cultism.

To everyone:

You guys might not know this about me yet, but I am an extreme math nerd. As such, I crunched some probabilities about the Derethi having one or more members starting in the senate. Here's my results: (I used 19 people in the game; is that right?)

Chance of 1+ members of a 4-Derethi group starting in 5-man Senate: 69.33%

Chance of 2+ members of a 4-Derethi group starting in 5-man Senate: 12.87%

Chance of 1+ members of a 3-Derethi group starting in 5-man Senate: 60.91%

Chance of 2+ members of a 3-Derethi group starting in 5-man Senate: 7.85%

If you have any questions about my math, just ask.

Edited by Elenion

Here is my summary of the events surrounding Conquestor’s lynch, which, as has already been mentioned, stinks of eliminator involvement:

Spoiler

First vote on Conquestor was placed by Bard, who was just poking around.

I voted on Conquestor next because there were about 5 people who had one vote on them, which doesn’t put the pressure on any of them

Maill was quick to say “I don't see the point in scanning or lynching Conq though, as he's inactive so far.” Right after that, I pointed out from Aman’s table that Conquestor had been lurking.

The running total was that Cloudjumper (3) had more votes than Conquestor (2).

At this point Straw just popped in and voted for Conquestor, tying the vote. ?!

After that, Cloudjumper threw a vote on Conquestor as well because he was still in danger of being lynched if the Senate decided on him. Conquestor (4) Cloudjumper (3)

Aman decided to vote for Conquestor over Cloudjumper because he would “rather make sure an inactive dies rather than a potential village Duelist”. Conquestor (5) Cloudjumper (3)

Then Elenion shifted his vote from Cloudjumper to Conquestor because he believed Cloud’s duelist claim. Conquestor (6) Cloudjumper (2)

I switched myself back over to Cloudjumper because I had just reread the thread and I was feeling pretty suspicious, but as it became evident he would be scanned, I went back to Conquestor (so, nothing changed).

The Senate threw their vote on Conquestor, since everyone was supposedly offline except for Bard and Elenion and both of them had voted Conquestor. (Kind of stinks of government corruption by a small group…)

Overall, this just makes me more suspicious of Elenion and possibly Bard. Also Straw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I'm so sorry Jaime! (At least you have more time for this game now)

Edited by Ecthelion III

57 minutes ago, Ecthelion III said:

Here is my summary of the events surrounding Conquestor’s lynch, which, as has already been mentioned, stinks of eliminator involvement:

Reveal hidden contents

First vote on Conquestor was placed by Bard, who was just poking around.

I voted on Conquestor next because there were about 5 people who had one vote on them, which doesn’t put the pressure on any of them

Maill was quick to say “I don't see the point in scanning or lynching Conq though, as he's inactive so far.” Right after that, I pointed out from Aman’s table that Conquestor had been lurking.

The running total was that Cloudjumper (3) had more votes than Conquestor (2).

At this point Straw just popped in and voted for Conquestor, tying the vote. ?!

After that, Cloudjumper threw a vote on Conquestor as well because he was still in danger of being lynched if the Senate decided on him. Conquestor (4) Cloudjumper (3)

Aman decided to vote for Conquestor over Cloudjumper because he would “rather make sure an inactive dies rather than a potential village Duelist”. Conquestor (5) Cloudjumper (3)

Then Elenion shifted his vote from Cloudjumper to Conquestor because he believed Cloud’s duelist claim. Conquestor (6) Cloudjumper (2)

I switched myself back over to Cloudjumper because I had just reread the thread and I was feeling pretty suspicious, but as it became evident he would be scanned, I went back to Conquestor (so, nothing changed).

The Senate threw their vote on Conquestor, since everyone was supposedly offline except for Bard and Elenion and both of them had voted Conquestor. (Kind of stinks of government corruption by a small group…)

Overall, this just makes me more suspicious of Elenion and possibly Bard. Also Straw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I'm so sorry Jaime! (At least you have more time for this game now)

I am more than aware of your suspicions of me; however, they don't appear to be based on anything concrete. Sure, Bard and I made the final decision. But we didn't know that would be the case until right before turnover; it just so happened that Jaime, El, and Aman all had things to do, unless you want to imply that the entire senate is a collaborating group of elims; if so you're fighting odds to the effect of about 0.102% (that's based on 7 Jeskeri cultists put into 5 senate positions in a field of 19 players, since the Derethi most likely don't even have 5 people).