Was Rayse supposed to be one of the 16?

QuantumSpren

In Julius Caesar, some conspirators wanted to take him down because they hated him, some wanted the power, some thought that it would be better for everyone if it happened. Perhaps the beings we know as Vessels for Shards had a similar variety of motivations, and Rayse was the one that nobody really wanted to associate with, but had to anyway.

I'm liking this comparison to Julius Caesar more and more. It just answers so many questions.

Here's a scary thought about Rayse - what if he avoids picking up other Shards because he figured out how to (mostly) control Odium?  Supposedly, there's a quote saying that Ati kept the worst of Ruin at bay, and that events on Scadrial could have gone far rose.  What if Rayse did better, and actually was able to somehow prevent the Shard from overwhelming his mind completely?  Another Shard could disrupt his delicate balance.

Hoid certainly seems to think that he has accomplished this, though Frost disagrees.

Here's a scary thought about Rayse - what if he avoids picking up other Shards because he figured out how to (mostly) control Odium?  Supposedly, there's a quote saying that Ati kept the worst of Ruin at bay, and that events on Scadrial could have gone far rose.  What if Rayse did better, and actually was able to somehow prevent the Shard from overwhelming his mind completely?  Another Shard could disrupt his delicate balance.

Hoid certainly seems to think that he has accomplished this, though Frost disagrees.

Theres a WOB somewhere that says he doesn't pick up another Shard because he doesn't want to change the nature of himself/Odium and be the only active Shard.

THERE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE 16!! THERE WAS ONLY MEANT TO BE ADONALSIUM!! 

Edit*** Found this faster than i thought:

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

Odium wants to be the only Shard. Odium could pick up other Shards if he wants to, but, he doesn't want to. His Shard is a good match for his personality and he doesn't want to be influenced by another Shard.

I just found a few others incase anybody would like them.

ALAXEL ()
? is unknown, but likely a request for previously unknown information to be added to a personalized copy of TWOK
BRANDON SANDERSON ()
Alaxel got a personalized copy of WoK, and written in it was "Odium and Hoid were once friends."

KYTHIS
Is there anything Hoid was scared of? And if so, is it still around, and...
BRANDON SANDERSON
There are many things that Hoid is scared of. He is really scared of Odium, but there are others.
Edited by WEZ313

Yes, I am aware of those quotes and others to the same effect.  I should have been more clear - I was postulating why he doesn't want to pick them up.  "Being a match for personality" is a very vague statement, and I find it hard to believe that Rayse's entire personality is hatred.  There must be method to his madness, as it were.

Whoa, I don't remember asking that at all. It sounds like something I would ask but I don't remember actually being in a position to ever ask Brandon anything--besides the result of the one signed book I got.

Memory only continues to grow worse in my old age.

Yes, I am aware of those quotes and others to the same effect.  I should have been more clear - I was postulating why he doesn't want to pick them up.  "Being a match for personality" is a very vague statement, and I find it hard to believe that Rayse's entire personality is hatred.  There must be method to his madness, as it were.

Ah i see now! I must have misread :) 

The best quote about it at this stage is: 

That said, Ruin would have been one of the 'safer' of the sixteen for Rayse to take, if he'd been about that. Odium is by its nature selfish, however, and the combination of it and Rayse makes for an entity that fears an additional power would destroy it and make it into something else.

I think Rayse avoids picking up other shards because the intent of odium itself is against picking up other shards. Odium wants only odium to exist, and hates other things. If odium/rayse picked up another shard he would become a less pure manifestation of hatred.

Anyway, when Kelsier was speaking with Khriss and Nazh he was explicitly told that the sixteen all had varying motives. The only reason that they are all shards is because they were conniving enough to kill adolnasium. Rayse likely chose to take up odium, and I doubt the other sixteen would stop him, partly because he was in on the plan to kill adolnasium in the first place, and partly because I doubt any of the other sixteen wanted to take odium instead of the shards they eventually held.

I think Rayse avoids picking up other shards because the intent of odium itself is against picking up other shards. Odium wants only odium to exist, and hates other things. If odium/rayse picked up another shard he would become a less pure manifestation of hatred.

The quote that WEZ313 used is from Brandon himself, and mentions that both Rayse's personality and Odium itself contribute, so it isn't JUST Odium.

I'm liking this comparison to Julius Caesar more and more. It just answers so many questions.

Agreed, it just makes so much sense, especially in light of

What Khriss said in SH

• Chaos locked this topic