No problem? I'm sure my opinion is invaluable : P

But I like how...deliberate your Koschei post sounds. I get a sense of detachment and calculation from the narrative, and I like how you're able to write his perspective and keep him menacing.

Because Koschei is Oregon!Satan. It's important he be terrifying, but too much of him could dilute that. And I'm glad that you haven't.

At the same time, it helps build up Remington. Which is cool.

Thanks! ^_^ This made me smile so much. 

They don't really have any mental faculties. The corpses are "animal-like," but everything they do is a result of his influence. He can have them do complex tasks, so long as he knows how to do them himself. The power works passively, so he doesn't have to be paying attention to them for them to do stuff. Blood loss doesn't matter, since he controls the bones and tendons directly, so long as they're connected to the spine, which is the focal point of his influence

And he is doing that how? Because that certainly doesn't fall under enhancing people.

The boiling point is a property. He was therefore able to lower it sufficiently to kill a person.

Ooh... Perhaps I should have labeled it "Property Changing"...

I just noticed. Twi, is the "rules and etiquette" thread blocked for you? You might have to update... many of the old abandoned Epics have been taken by Cognizitastic and others. Does anyone have Blackwave and Ozymandias?

Although it is possible to play as an Epic in one of those threads by adopting an abandoned character, new Epics--as in, original Epics created by the player and introduced to the thread--are still outlawed. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Although it is possible to play as an Epic in one of those threads by adopting an abandoned character, new Epics--as in, original Epics created by the player and introduced to the thread--are still outlawed. 

That's not what I mean; Those Epics are no longer up for adoption. Candyflame, or Chef, for example.

Who plays Micro? May I kill, or try to kill him? He doesn't seem very important.

Edited by breakingamber

Latereplies!Voidus has appeared!

No mention of Mundivore, Teddy Cuddlekins, Shiny Sparsenal, takeover flashback, Mister Hamsterface, or Chef in the news?

I am disappoint. :(

It's OK if you couldn't find time to add those 6 posts into your summary, Voidus; that's totally understandable (I'm not being sarcastic). :) I'm just a tad bummed out. :P

I did put one in, and I refuse to mention shiny sparsenal, there are some things that just aren't shipped. :P

I know that feel. 

Even though I got a shoutout as the founder before, having a character featured made me ridiculously happy. 

I debated switching to a character from another thread to cover more of the RP but I couldn't not have Funtimes as one of the first FCs, and now I have a month to try to narrow down all the awesome characters to one that I can feature. 

Okay. Believe it or not, I only just barely read the Astoria thread today. That's some nice stuff right there.  :P The Adventurer, especially. I loved him! He pretty much encapsulates the idea that the PC in most RPG's is actually a complete jerk. What a great idea! I'm not sure about Winterspell, though. His relationship with his subordinates was a little mushy for an RP where 90% of the characters are either maniacally sadistic, mentally ill, or both.  :) When did Luckwielder leave?

I think it'd be neat to introduce another pro-government faction to the city, seeing as The Cavalry, The Destructors, Winterspell's retinue, and Blackwave's crew are all working together to plot the city's downfall at the moment. I'm picturing a group of Epics that have created a base inside of a network of tunnels they've built running beneath Astoria Column. 

He is a challenge to write sometimes, between picking a genre for his current mindset (Although it's usally an MMO) and trying to keep him on the line between being a monster and being an innocent. Glad you liked him though!

They don't really have any mental faculties. The corpses are "animal-like," but everything they do is a result of his influence. He can have them do complex tasks, so long as he knows how to do them himself. The power works passively, so he doesn't have to be paying attention to them for them to do stuff. Blood loss doesn't matter, since he controls the bones and tendons directly, so long as they're connected to the spine, which is the focal point of his influence

Sounds good to me. Do you already have an idea on how to involve him into the actual happenings?

The boiling point is a property. He was therefore able to lower it sufficiently to kill a person.

Ooh... Perhaps I should have labeled it "Property Changing"...

It also would have helped to not describe it has the rather limited power instead of the insanely versatile one you're changing it to now.

I'm not the only one who thinks this is a pretty significant change in power, am I?

Sounds good to me. Do you already have an idea on how to involve him into the actual happenings?

It also would have helped to not describe it has the rather limited power instead of the insanely versatile one you're changing it to now.

I'm not the only one who thinks this is a pretty significant change in power, am I?

I don't really remember what it originally was, didn't he just have the power to turn into a giant monster and make cracks in the ground or something?

I don't really remember what it originally was, didn't he just have the power to turn into a giant monster and make cracks in the ground or something?

His already rather impressive Portfolio is this

Primary Power: Bestial Creation

Only able to create an enormously large 18-legged beast that has a nearly impenetrable shell. It has large claws on the front four legs, and it's carapace is spiked all the way down, and has a large emerald in its chest. If killed, he can summon it again in 15 min. He controls it with mind control, but can only control it.

Secondary Power #1: Earthshattering

Can cause the earth to split open, creating a very large canyon or chasm large enough for his beast. It takes him a good 15 min. to fully open one. They do not close back up again.

Secondary Power #2: Property Enhancing

He can enhance an object's properties, making it harder, sharper, stronger, or such. He can also do this to himself or someone else to make them stronger, faster, or such.

Secondary Power #3: Healing

He heals quickly, and his touch can increase the healing speed of another person.

And now Property enhancing apparently translates to freely altering the properties of everything he touches. Edited by Edgedancer

The intro post I had in mind was him returning from Portland (or wherever) with a truckload of corpses he'd gathered and maybe killing some refugees along the way.

He has this huge labyrinth of tunnels going down underneath the southeast section of town with a single exit, carved out by an Epic he works with whose wounds spew out acid whenever he's injured. Perhaps the Adventurer could try questing there, or else the Financier or Lightwrought could deliver supplies to the portion of the population that he's herded into it.

Edited by Mckeedee123

The intro post I had in mind was him returning from Portland (or wherever) with a truckload of corpses he'd gathered and maybe killing some refugees along the way.

He has this huge labyrinth of tunnels going down underneath the southeast section of town with a single exit, carved out by an Epic he works with whose wounds spew out acid whenever he's injured. Perhaps the Adventurer could try questing there, or else the Financier or Lightwrought could deliver supplies to the portion of the population that he's herded into it.

Him having made a stop in Portland could be interesting, what with the possibility of having noticed Lucentia heading there.

Sounds good to me. Although, Lucentia probably would have claimed some of the underground specifically as her territory and made it a no entry zone.

So weird question. How do you guys do the whole writing thing? :P

Seriously. I have really no clue what I'm doing; sometimes I'll write something that turns out well, but most of the time I don't. Every now and again I'll get an idea for a scene, a character; their voice and history and motivations appear fully formed, and it all works, for a post or two. Then it stops. Everything I write with that character from there just seems to get weaker and weaker, until I've basically lost their voice, and I'm not really sure how to write them anymore. (IE, Azrael, and I'm worried that it's happening with Frostfire, and will happen with Eternity.) Pretty much all of my personal projects are more beginnings than anything else, and this is a big part of the reason why. Most of you have been doing this a while longer than me; does anyone have any tips for maintaining a character? 

On a lighter note, because of a bio project, I really want to see a minor Epic named Calamity who's only power is growing really big horsetail ferns. :ph34r:

So weird question. How do you guys do the whole writing thing? :P

Seriously. I have really no clue what I'm doing; sometimes I'll write something that turns out well, but most of the time I don't. Every now and again I'll get an idea for a scene, a character; their voice and history and motivations appear fully formed, and it all works, for a post or two. Then it stops. Everything I write with that character from there just seems to get weaker and weaker, until I've basically lost their voice, and I'm not really sure how to write them anymore. (IE, Azrael, and I'm worried that it's happening with Frostfire, and will happen with Eternity.) Pretty much all of my personal projects are more beginnings than anything else, and this is a big part of the reason why. Most of you have been doing this a while longer than me; does anyone have any tips for maintaining a character? 

On a lighter note, because of a bio project, I really want to see a minor Epic named Calamity who's only power is growing really big horsetail ferns. :ph34r:

Ask yourself these questions:

1. What would you do if you were your character?

2. What would be the ideal "right" action and the ideal "wrong" action in that circumstance?

And, I have to work now. Bye. Aonar, would you like to adopt Abaddon? 

Ask yourself these questions:

1. What would you do if you were your character?

2. What would be the ideal "right" action and the ideal "wrong" action in that circumstance?

And, I have to work now. Bye. Aonar, would you like to adopt Abaddon? 

No, unfortunately, sorry. I'm doing a rough enough job with my own few characters that it doesn't really feel right for me to take another one.  -_- Thanks for the advice, although I feel like there must be a little bit more somehow. 

No, unfortunately, sorry. I'm doing a rough enough job with my own few characters that it doesn't really feel right for me to take another one.  -_- Thanks for the advice, although I feel like there must be a little bit more somehow. 

One method that helped me develop my characters was imagining what they'd do if they encountered characters from other fandoms. How would Frostfire respond to Ron Weasley? To Captain America? To Mister Darcy? It's kind of an oddball method, but it works for me. 

Or, if you'd rather I give you a prompt: 

Your character has been unexpectedly invited to Voldemort's "rebirthing party" at the climax of Goblet of Fire. What do they do, how does Voldemort react, and are any Death Eaters left alive? Remember: no one is expecting them, not even Voldemort! How does the party end, and how damaged is Harry's sanity? 

Well, one thing I've found when trying to write a story is that it's really hard to write about something that you don't care about. I'm really bad at writing "slice of life" style stories sequences for that reason. You have to be interested in what your character is doing, and you'll get better inspiration.

I was bugging Twi about this since I was curious, but figured I should ask you guys, in general.

Obviously, this game is about what happened in Oregon. But the Wastelands are set in Australia.

So I'm curious...how much world building have you guys done out of state? Any headcanon or set down guidelines for places yet?

@breakingamber: ill take Abaddon and Marco if you like :)

Just PM me all the relevant information and what they will be doing while you are away.

@Quiver: not a great deal. Some in south Washington. Vague mentions of other Epics or events elsewhere. Nothing really solid. Mostly because we didn't want to write something that would be contradicted by the books as they were released.

@Aonar: I tend to focus on actions- what is my character doing? How do they feel as they do it? Why are they doing it?

I'm not good at writing advice though :P

Edited by Blackhoof

I was bugging Twi about this since I was curious, but figured I should ask you guys, in general.

Obviously, this game is about what happened in Oregon. But the Wastelands are set in Australia.

So I'm curious...how much world building have you guys done out of state? Any headcanon or set down guidelines for places yet?

Well, I have Alaska, which is ruled by Khione, a weather-controlling High Epic who makes up for her relatively small population and number of Epics under her control with sheer size of territory. I have some notes on how Alaska is run, though I've never written them down, so I don't know how extensive they are. 

One method that helped me develop my characters was imagining what they'd do if they encountered characters from other fandoms. How would Frostfire respond to Ron Weasley? To Captain America? To Mister Darcy? It's kind of an oddball method, but it works for me. 

Or, if you'd rather I give you a prompt: 

Your character has been unexpectedly invited to Voldemort's "rebirthing party" at the climax of Goblet of Fire. What do they do, how does Voldemort react, and are any Death Eaters left alive? Remember: no one is expecting them, not even Voldemort! How does the party end, and how damaged is Harry's sanity? 

Hmm.... I might have to use that. :P Thanks. (Does magic count as energy? :huh::ph34r:)

Well, one thing I've found when trying to write a story is that it's really hard to write about something that you don't care about. I'm really bad at writing "slice of life" style stories sequences for that reason. You have to be interested in what your character is doing, and you'll get better inspiration.

That might be part of the problem; it's hard a lot of the time to make the "in-between" type posts (ones that are necessary to the narrative making sense, but not terribly interesting in their own right) into things I care about, so they end up weaker.

We've made jokes about what happened in Europe/the UK, and we've some quasi-canon for areas of Canada (just BC, I believe)/the FSA I think, (mostly California, Washington and Alaska) but other than that, I don't believe so.