Nightblood killed Adonalsium

Stormgate

I have a theory that, before it was Nightblood, the sword now called Nightblood killed Adonalsium. Nightblood is the only thing in the Cosmere that is truly end-negative (it removes Investiture from the Cosmere) so before that, it may have been really powerful.

Plus it was made by Vasher, who is a Returned. Returned are created by Endowment, who did not exist prior to the Shattering.

Stormgate knows that... He said that the Sword that later Vasher (or better his wife) awakened to create Nightblood was used to kill Adonalsium.

There's a recent WoB (I don't have it on me, but it's in the Cosmere page) that states the Weapon that caused the shattering was destroyed in the process.

Edit: Here's the thread http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/53219-confirmation-the-weapon-that-killed-adonalsium-no-longer-exists/

I think the quote is "no longer exists in the form it did"

It's pretty likely, I think, that Odium is going to be killed by Nightblood, for a few reasons:

1: Nightblood is currently being held by somebody who is extremely obsessed with perfect Justice under the law.

2: Nightblood wants to destroy evil, and Odium is definitely evil.

3: Nightblood is in the Roshar system, as is Odium.

4: Szeth follows Nalan, so he's basically a Radiant (almost a Radiant), and the Heralds were supposedly exiled to Damnation, which is where Odium is.

It's pretty likely, I think, that Odium is going to be killed by Nightblood, for a few reasons:

1: Nightblood is currently being held by somebody who is extremely obsessed with perfect Justice under the law.

2: Nightblood wants to destroy evil, and Odium is definitely evil.

3: Nightblood is in the Roshar system, as is Odium.

4: Szeth follows Nalan, so he's basically a Radiant (almost a Radiant), and the Heralds were supposedly exiled to Damnation, which is where Odium is.

According to Sanderson and some in-world people (Khriss), no Investiture is actually evil.

Nightblood doesn't really know what evil is, I think. That's why he would kill him. Also, he has negative investiture so would be perfect for destroying a shard. He could take some of the shards investiture and move it out of the cosmere.

According to Sanderson and some in-world people (Khriss), no Investiture is actually evil.

Odium isn't Investiture, though.  Holds a whole lot of it, sure.  But would be more accurately described as Investiture given the embodiment and personality of Divine Hatred.  A hurricane can't be evil, but that's because it can't be alive, has no sentience, no conscious thought.  If it could--well then.  Odium, and all the Shardholders, seem to be much like that--self-aware, intelligent, sentient, sapient energy made manifest.

(Whether Odium is actually evil or not is debatable, but I think his capacity to be evil is not.)

I think that the greatest argument for Nightblood being a weapon to be used against Odium, though, is that Sanderson wrote Warbreaker in part to give Nightblood and Vasher a backstory to the events that happen on Roshar in the SA.

• 1 year later...

even if Nightblood doesn't destroy investiture, it destroys matter, and E=mc² (for those of you who don't know what that means, Matter is really just condensed energy, and this is where Nuclear bombs get their energy.) I have a hard time picturing Nightblood consuming that much energy, even if it goes somewhere.

31 minutes ago, ethan_sedai said:

Matter is really just condensed energy

Bear in mind that in the Cosmere: Matter, Energy and Investiture are interchangeable, giving both the potential to be a type of condensed Investiture, and vice versa.

Nightblood may not be able to consume that much energy, but if that energy is converted into Investiture? The potential is there, even if I doubt Brandon will ever give us the math for it.

Blightsong

How does corrupted investiture work, like Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, Nightblood. Again, this is a definition of what somebody feels is a corruption. For instance, there are spren people would feel are corrupted. But that is corruption where the mixing of different shards has changed things, and I think a lot of times when people say corruption, people are meaning the mixing of shards powers.

Blightsong

So is there a mixing of shards power with Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

*smirks* RAFO. That's the natural question, I'm glad you asked it.

Nightblood is definitely more than just an Awakened sword, that's for sure. Vasher even admitted that it's sentience is unusual, and that he doesn't understand how Shashara did it.

That was the great crux of the problem, the issue that had dominated most of Vasher’s life. A thousand Breaths. That was what it took to Awaken an object of steel and give it sentience. Even Shashara hadn’t fully understood the process, though she had first devised it.

It took a person who had reached the Ninth Heightening to Awaken stone or steel. Even then, this process shouldn’t have worked. It should have created an Awakened object with no more of a mind than the tassels on his cloak.

Nightblood should not be alive. And yet he was. Shashara had always been the most talented of them, far more capable than Vasher himself, who had used tricks—like encasing bones in steel or stone—to make his creations. Shashara had been spurred on by the knowledge that she’d been shown up by Yesteel and the development of ichor-alcohol. She had studied, experimented, practiced. And she’d done it. She’d learned to forge the Breath of a thousand people into a piece of steel, Awaken it to sentience, and give it a Command. That single Command took on immense power, providing a foundation for the personality of the object Awakened.

It sort of sounds like Shashara was being influenced by a Shard when she created Nightblood. Perhaps she was insane; we do not completely understand the circumstances of her death, only that Vasher killed her because she planned to give away the secret to Awakening steel, like she did with the one Breath Lifeless Command, which doesn't sound very sane.

Then again, the Warbreaker Annotations say that Yesteel knows the secret to Awakening steel, and Idris would eventually destroy Hallandren should they go to war.

Edited by ForcesOfNoodles

On 09/03/2016 at 6:08 AM, Yata said:

It is stated that Nightblood doesn't destroy investiture, it simply The investiture Consumed and Leaked by it isn't in a form avaliable. But Nightblood don't destroy it

Yata,

WoB:

QUESTION

So, is Nightblood reducing the amount of Investiture in the cosmere?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. At a very slow rate, but yes.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='nightblood'

6 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

This has been contradicted by other WoBs. I'll try to find the particular one that I'm thinking of, but while he does make the investiture unusable, thereby reducing the amount of investiture available to people, investiture cannot be destroyed. 

So he's not reducing the amount of actual investiture, just usable investiture. 

Calderis

Yeah ive heard Brandon say investiture cannot be destroyed as well. 

But not the one where Nightblood makes it unusable. 

If you find it that would be great. 

It would be good if there is an easy location and search of WoB's, as the one i posted above freakin took be bout 30mins to find!! 

3 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

Calderis

Yeah ive heard Brandon say investiture cannot be destroyed as well. 

But not the one where Nightblood makes it unusable. 

If you find it that would be great. 

It would be good if there is an easy location and search of WoB's, as the one i posted above freakin took be bout 30mins to find!! 

Soon. We're working on a new WoB database connected to the Shard that's supposed to be up and running around Oathbringer's release. Chaos has a post about it in the 17th Shard forum. 

So pretty soon we should have a more complete WoB database, with better search functionality that doesn't require sifting through old WoT stuff. 

It seems to be the whole "energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can change forms" science principle. Electricity can be converted to heat, which doesn't destroy the energy, but it does make the energy unusable as electricity. 

But we do have processes that allow us to change certain forms of energy into electricity whether it's using fossil fuels, solar energy, etc.

So I wonder if the process Nightblood uses to convert Investiture from one form to another is reversible? Scientifically speaking, different types of energy can be converted back and forth using the right mechanisms. Maybe Investiture works in a similar way? 

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the amount of Investiture that Nightblood drains from its holder temporarily decreases when Nightblood slices through something? if so, could someone use Nightblood entirely off of the Investiture from the matter that is gone? if not, where does the energy/matter/Investiture go?

Do you guys think I should post these on the Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon?

Edited by ethan_sedai

• Chaos locked this topic