Odium and Adonalsium's Opposition (New Info)

Chaos

I am sorry this has been a bit too long incoming, but I asked a very interesting question in my Elantris leatherbound.

The question was: "Is Odium aware of the weapon created by Adonalsium's opposition?"

(You remember that Adonalsium's opposition made a weapon, right? Kay, cool.)

The answer:

post-1-0-31901400-1453505644_thumb.jpg

(Yes.)

Yeah that's terrifying Brandon. Thanks a bunch...

Edited by Chaos

Follow up - does he have it? It might explain how he's been able to shatter other shards seemingly at will...

Edit: Also, you just made me swear at work - thanks for that...

Edited by Smye

Follow up - does he have it? It might explain how he's been able to shatter other shards seemingly at will...

Edit: Also, you just made me swear at work - thanks for that...

That sounds like an excellent question to ask Brandon to sign in a book. Something like "We know Odium knows of the weapon created by Adonalsium's opposition. Does Odium have this weapon?" Excessively specific works really well.

And yeah, it's terrifying, isn't it?

That is interesting, but it doesn't explain why he would be scared of Harmony if he had this great and powerful weapon, especially if it was designed to kill/injure Adonalsium, who was a combination of all 16 Shards (the investiture and power of all 16 shards at its disposal :ph34r: ) unless it would require a huge expenditure of Investiture on Odium's part to use.

Perhaps alternatively, this weapon was broken up into pieces after Adonalsium's shattering as the threat was no longer present but, with the Shards still active, it would be good to have on hand, in the unlikely scenario that should someone reunite all the Shards....and Odium just so happens to have a piece of it or knows where to find one, which even if broken up, the pieces would still be powerful enough to make another Shard give pause.. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Perhaps Odium IS the weapon.  :o *mindblown* 

That seems rather unlikely since Odium wouldn't have existed as a separate entity until after the Shattering. But in any case, very interesting and potentially worrying discovery. Wonder if this is connected in any way to the WoB that there was something guiding the way Adonalsium shattered into the pieces it did.

Edited by Weltall

Unfortunately, I didn't pry further with my Bands signed copy. (But hopefully the question I asked will have an exciting answer, if it doesn't get RAFO'd.)

Probably the most relevant question to ask would be: "Has Odium used the weapon created by Adonalsium's opposition?" or something like that.

For all we know, Odium may know of it, but actually be limited in his power to actually use it. Preservation and Ruin couldn't touch (and it was disastrous when they did), and so maybe a Shard of Adonalsium can't mix with whatever the crap Adonalsium's opposition is.

I wonder if aluminum and the weapon are related. Just looking for reasons why aluminum is sort of arbitrarily weird in the cosmere.

This make's pretty perfect sense for me, and it would be kind of funny if aluminum - which has it's uses, but is generally dismissed- ended up being the secret ultimate weapon of the universe. 

(Actually, maybe the weapon is WHY aluminum seem's so weird? Either it's counter acting magic, or the Shard's are trying to design magic system's that encumber or weaken aluminum's effect.)

That seems rather unlikely since Odium wouldn't have existed as a separate entity until after the Shattering. But in any case, very interesting and potentially worrying discovery. Wonder if this is connected in any way to the WoB that there was something guiding the way Adonalsium shattered into the pieces it did.

You're right that Odium couldn't have been the weapon, but we don't know that Rayse wasn't.

Being aware of the weapon should not mean Odium will want to use it against other shard.

What if Odium is not the bad guy we were let to believe. May be he is the guy who is broken enough to think he can resist anti-adonalsium and somehow the only way to resist is splintering other shard. May be , just may be by splintering he releases the shard power and make it ready to reassembling, may be he plans to splinter himself at the end and reform Adonalsium to resist that force and its weapon.

I dunno, I think that even if Odium started out with good intentions at this point he would be so warped by his Intent that it probably no longer matters. Assuming for a moment that Hoid's descriptions of Ati and Rayse in the First Letter are at least generally true (and nothing in the reply contradicts him there and actually supports it) then even if Rayse was the nicest guy, after a few thousand years he's probably so consumed with hate that he's forgotten about anything else, just like Ati was completely warped by the nature of Ruin.

Though I do like the idea of some sort of meta-twist because Odium as the big bad guy is so obvious I'm almost positive Brandon is going to spring something on us at the end of Stormlight or in fourth era Mistborn that makes us reevaluate things.

Hmm, now I'm wondering if a question like 'Were any of the original 16 Shardholders involved in opposing Adonalsium' would get an actual answer or just a RAFO.

I could see it going either way. On one hand, he's said the sixteen are all going to be characters in Dragonsteel so he could postpone the answer until he actually writes it. On the other hand, it's going to be so long before we get to that point that if it's not too much of a giveaway he might give one of those semi-answers he's so good at.

Actually, this all brings up an interesting thought: What does everyone imagine Brandon will release first, the final Mistborn trilogy that sounds like it's going to be where everything comes together or the combined Dragonsteel arc where everything begins? Either way would be interesting,

Edited by Weltall

This make's pretty perfect sense for me, and it would be kind of funny if aluminum - which has it's uses, but is generally dismissed- ended up being the secret ultimate weapon of the universe. 

(Actually, maybe the weapon is WHY aluminum seem's so weird? Either it's counter acting magic, or the Shard's are trying to design magic system's that encumber or weaken aluminum's effect.)

I made a theory on this. I definitely think something is up with aluminum.

What if there was another entity like Adonalsium? They might react to each other similar to the way Ruin and Preservation do. I say similar because Ruin and Preservation didn't shatter when they touched, but that may be because they were both from the same origin, and Adonalsium and the other entity were from compleatly different origins so they shattered when they - how do I say this - "fought" each other.