The Bands of Mourning Chapter 4

Argent

“So that’s what that damnation book was about.”

^ Is that a reference to Watership Down? Not sure why that book would exist here, but I can't think of any other possibilities...Any guesses?

...Ah, just remembered that Wayne first read the bunny book in the epilogue of Alloy; he'd stolen it from someone on the train. "It's a pretty good book. You should try it. It's about bunnies. They talk. Damnedest thing ever."

Edited by Viridian

Wayne tells Wax about a book he is reading about bunnies in AOL near the end. The bunnies talk. I dunno maybe their version of Watership Down but explained here as the bunnies were Kandra  ;)

“It’s a pretty good book,” Wayne said, flipping a page. “You should try it. It’s about bunnies. They talk. Damnedest thing ever.”

Sanderson, Brandon (2011-11-08). The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel (p. 323). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Edited by StormingTexan

Okay, so VenDell reacted way too strongly to only the suggestion of going with Wax, which makes me think that it either is a trap, or VenDell was actually reacting to being called a "metalborn".

When I first saw Wax call VenDell a metalborn, I thought that it may just be the generic term on Scadrial for a magic user, since all of the magic is related to metal, and kandra have metal spikes. Now I'm pretty sure that it was Wax testing a theory, that VenDell has been using the spikes they got from Paalm, which proved to be correct.

That was probably at least one of the main reasons this scene happened from Wayne's point of view, so we wouldn't see how Wax reacted in his mind to VenDell being so surprised.

So now Wax knows, or at least suspects, that VenDell has been experimenting with the Metallic Arts through Paalm's spikes.

EDIT: This might have been why VenDell turned white; he could have been afraid that Wax had been able to see VenDell's spikes through his skin. Or Kandra are like the Royal Locks and their color can change as a reaction to their emotions.

Edited by King's Twit

So Wayne has friends among the kandra.

No, sixth-generation doorman probably just means that people in the man's family had been doormen for 6 generations.

Okay, so VenDell reacted way too strongly to only the suggestion of going with Wax, which makes me think that it either is a trap, or VenDell was actually reacting to being called a "metalborn".

When I first saw Wax call VenDell a metalborn, I thought that it may just be the generic term on Scadrial for a magic user, since all of the magic is related to metal, and kandra have metal spikes. Now I'm pretty sure that it was Wax testing a theory, that VenDell has been using the spikes they got from Paalm, which proved to be correct.

That was probably at least one of the main reasons this scene happened from Wayne's point of view, so we wouldn't see how Wax reacted in his mind to VenDell being so surprised.

So now Wax knows, or at least suspects, that VenDell has been experimenting with the Metallic Arts through Paalm's spikes.

EDIT: This might have been why VenDell turned white; he could have been afraid that Wax had been able to see VenDell's spikes through his skin. Or Kandra are like the Royal Locks and their color can change as a reaction to their emotions.

I took "metalborn" to simply mean that a kandra's mind is created from the spikes-- so they need metal to be born.  *shrug*

I could read an entire book of Wayne walking the city making his trades. 

Agreed.

Crazy theory time.  Ranette's new girlfriend is actually a kandra sent by Harmony to finally get Wayne off his fixation with her.  So Wayne can then become fixated with MeLaan, paving the way for Wayne to be some sort of Kandra/Worldhopper/it doesn't matter how as long as he can be in multiple books in multiple series.

I don't know, for some reason I don't want our creepy friend to be working with Trell. Having his own agenda and be willing to blatantly manipulate Wax is one thing, working for the enemy is another entirely.

On Wayne, I think his newfound willingness to leave the past, and Rannete, behind, together with the fact he has been to a kandra ballroom, are clear indications he and MeLaan are getting closer.

No, sixth-generation doorman probably just means that people in the man's family had been doormen for 6 generations.

I took "metalborn" to simply mean that a kandra's mind is created from the spikes-- so they need metal to be born.  *shrug*

That's what I read it as at first too, but metalborn is also a term used in-universe to refer to a Feruchemist or Allomancer (or both).

It's just not a term I remember ever being used to refer to Kandra, and VenDell's reaction makes it seem significant to me.

Edited by King's Twit

I don't know, for some reason I don't want our creepy friend to be working with Trell. Having his own agenda and be willing to blatantly manipulate Wax is one thing, working for the enemy is another entirely.

On Wayne, I think his newfound willingness to leave the past, and Rannete, behind, together with the fact he has been to a kandra ballroom, are clear indications he and MeLaan are getting closer.

What if VenDell's like Boromir or Saruman? He thinks he (or another kandra) can use the power granted by the spikes against their creator to give Harmony an edge against whatever it is they're fighting.

(Sorry if I got some LoTR facts wrong, it's been a while since I've read them)

What if VenDell's like Boromir or Saruman? He thinks he (or another kandra) can use the power granted by the spikes against their creator to give Harmony an edge against whatever it is they're fighting.

(Sorry if I got some LoTR facts wrong, it's been a while since I've read them)

You got it mostly right about Boromir. Saruman was setting himself up as a new Sauron, however.

Not that Boromir would do anything better if he took the ring.

I thought very much the same thing. I am not sure why, but it sounds more suspicious than simply the exposure to the outside world.

Really, Wax?  You're complaining about Harmony not apologizing to you when you haven't even put an earring in long enough for him to get a word in to you?  Oh, sure, he could have a kandra do it for him, but then you'd justify it as, "He couldn't even say it to me himself!"  Dude.  Just put the rusted earring in for five minutes.  It won't kill you.

And Wayne!  Look at you, being all adult and stuff!  I'm so proud.  *snif* 

Oh, wait, moment's over.  Yeah, you're still Wayne.

Really, Wax?  You're complaining about Harmony not apologizing to you when you haven't even put an earring in long enough for him to get a word in to you?  Oh, sure, he could have a kandra do it for him, but then you'd justify it as, "He couldn't even say it to me himself!"  Dude.  Just put the rusted earring in for five minutes.  It won't kill you.

Oh, yes. This is what I came here to say.

I suppose Wax still isn't thinking clearly after what happened, but seriously?

"I'm not speaking to him until he apologizes!"

"Hey, can we talk? I'd like to apol-"  "NO!"

It is...uncharacteristically petulant of him.  I get that he's angry, and he totally has a right to be angry, but he's not going to be able to deal with his anger in any sort of emotionally healthy way until he's at least given Harmony a chance to explain.

I think a lot of it is his refusal to admit that there's even a possibility that not knowing who Bleeder really was could've been a good thing.  He never would've been willing to hurt her if he'd known she was Lessie.  He would've made mistakes.  And he's still so in love with her that he can't deal with the idea that she would have killed him if he messed up badly enough.

Wax says that he wants an explanation, an apology. He wants to think that killing Lessie was wrong, that it shouldn't have happened. He doesn't take the earring because he knows that it had to happen. Maybe not on a conscious level, but until Sazed tells him it was right, and refuses to say it was wrong, he has a tiny, misguided hope that it didn't need to happen.

And as he is, he will take that hope to his grave. I think that may be a personal subplot through the book.

On a lighter subject, we have a vague limit on the abilities of kandra. A little while ago, I had a lot of ideas about the possibilities of kandra, and this states that they need to be a certain size to maintain sentience. Yay!

It seems like another manipulation to me that venDel reacts that way. I mean aren't kandras ment to be perfect actors?

I have another speculation how the book might end but I dont know if thats allowed here so I put it in spoilertags

* Am I the only one who thinks that Telsin is really working with the set. *

And the most important question of all: can wayne read??

I thought it was mentioned in SoS that he couldn't.

Im confused.