The Nature of Hemalurgy

King's Twit

Ruin found it easier to spike those who were already mentally unstable. Zane lived in the Pits of Hathsin. That would make anyone unstable.

Interestingly, Nightblood also has an easier time manipulating the mentally unstable.

Edited by Stormgate

Zane spiked himself because he heard voices in his head.

Thank you, where in the first trilogy is that? I'm currently rereading it but I haven't come across that yet.

And that is an interesting point about nightblood. I wonder if they're linked somehow? Since nightblood does "ruin" investiture in a way.

The question has been asked and RAFO'd many times. One example:

We do know Hemalurgy can be used by anyone anywhere in the Cosmere.

I actually speculated at one point that the Surgebinding fabrials of Roshar are a use of Hemalurgy, with the general idea being that "Hemalurgy" is the use of a focus material to capture Investiture which you can then interface with your Spiritweb. (Though that theory kind of went everywhere.)

With all that said, I'd say it makes quite a lot of sense if Hemalurgy was indeed limited to metals. Atium, for example, can steal anything, so this means that we don't need actually need gemstone spikes to steal from other systems. Why bother making the system more complex than it needs to be? Added to the point that we're very sure Hemalurgy is Ruin's system, and systems arise as a consequence of interactions with the planets, and the "focus" of magic seems based on the planet...

I guess, if I had to put numbers to it, I'm 80/20 in favor of Hemalurgy being metals-only.

Hemalurgy itself can be metals-only while still having interesting implications for material focii in general. You could certainly argue that gems allowing the bonding of deadspren is a similarly innovative use of focus to Hemalurgy.

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

No. He heard Ruin's voice after he was spiked. You've got it backwards.

Mentally unstable people can hear Ruin even without being spiked. That's how Vin got her spike and that's exactly how Zane spiked himself.

8 hours ago, kenod said:

I'm not sure if it was in the original trilogy. It is at least in SH however.

Ruin managed to influence Vin's mother to create a Spike from Vin's Sister and give to Vin.... If I don't remember wrong Vin (after her ascension) or Harmony talked about the Ruin's influence on the madmen

Edited by Yata

2 hours ago, Yata said:

Ruin mangate to influence Vin's mother to create a Spike from Vin's Sister and give to Vin.... If I don't remember wrong Vin (after her ascension) or Harmony talked about the Ruin's influence on the madmen

It's possibly the pre-chapter texts that may have mentioned it, i could remember knowing it back when reading the mistborn trilogy and i wasn't still digging about mistborn at those times so i could've not known it through WoB/etc. Could be wrong and it was mentioned during Harmony's era or SH.

Edited by goody153

1 hour ago, goody153 said:

It's possibly the pre-chapter texts that may have mentioned it, i could remember knowing it back when reading the mistborn trilogy and i wasn't still digging about mistborn at those times so i could've not known it through WoB/etc. Could be wrong and it was mentioned during Harmony's era or SH.

Just FYI, the things you're talking about here are called the Epigraphs.

2 hours ago, goody153 said:

Alright, thanks.

7 hours ago, Emerald101 said:

Just FYI, the things you're talking about here are called the Epigraphs.

Ah so that's what they are called haha

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

Hm... I suppose it is worth asking... To what extend does a magic user's powers change when they travel to a different planet?

Apart from Elantris i think you could use any cosmere related power as long as you know how to hook it up in that planets investure. Allomancy/Feruchemy might be more difficult still requiring you certain metals but i know that warbreaker's Vasher(Zahel) managed to use stormlight as a substitute instead of breath. 

Also the topic at hand hemalurgy is universal afaik

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1157

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=947

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1076

• Chaos locked this topic