Hemalurgy and other magic systems

Unite Them

Hemalurgy was designed as system crossing all of the magic systems, so almost everything is stealable. The catch is (apart form atium spike) that we don't know what spikes to use (if metal works, then which one should be used? If not, maybe gemspikes?) and if the body focuses are the same.

And as far as we know the surgebinding capacity is written directly in the spiritual bond between human and spren, since its strenght is directly proportionsl to the bond's.

Trying to steal it could just damage the bond to the point of either freeing the spren or most likely killing it.

Probably you have to steal the bond but if the Spren survive to this experience is not sure (and I doubt it).

To get all the ten surge you have to bond at least 5 Radiant Spren. But remember that the Sprens may suppress your powers.

So...ever since finding out that Hemalurgy is possible for different magic systems...I've REALLY been wondering what other compounding like hacks might become possible when mixing magic systems.

By the way...possible spoilers ahead...please avert any cosmerically uneducated eyes...

I mean...before we learned about compounding...there really wasn't any reason to think that burning a metal you had stored in would do anything different...but it does...in a big way.  

In the ars arcanum of shadows of self, the author mentions that being a twin born doesn't just give the person 1 power from each tree, it also generates a 3rd power of sorts.  

This makes me wonder what other sorts of crazy cross overs might happen.  IE, if you are a bloodmaker who gets spiked to become an awakener...can you use breaths as superfuel to fill your goldminds at an incredible rate?  If you're an awakener who gets spiked to become a pewter arm, can you constantly flare your metal and become a savant without ever suffering any negative side effects?  

I'm very curious...

Edited by hoidhunter

You can't be spiked into becoming an awakener though. As far as I know it's impossible to not be an awakener. You just need breath from someone since you don't have one yourself.

Brandon's been quoted before with something that sounded very much like it was also a separate power.

EDIT:

Alright, memory must have been fading, the quote I was thinking of actually says the complete opposite :P

NUTIKETAIEL

"If a native of Sel or another Shardworld travelled to Nalthis, would they be a drab?"

Brandon almost answered quickly, but then got a thoughtful look and paused to consider with a "hmm." After a moment, he replied:

BRANDON SANDERSON

"No, they would not be a drab. But, no one would be able to take their breath."

NUTIKETAIEL

"If such a person died on Nalthis, could they Return?"

BRANDON SANDERSON

"No, they cannot Return."

NUTIKETAIEL

"If such a person received breath, could they use BioChroma?"

BRANDON SANDERSON

"Yes."

Edited by Voidus

• Chaos locked this topic