Jessica Jones

Patar

It's very dark. The violence can be pretty shocking, too, but the darkness is more pervasive. There's a sense of dread that infuses everything because of the nature of the villain's powers. Anyone could be his pawn and could do something absolutely horrific at any moment. In some ways, the entire narrative is a metaphor for the experience of surviving abuse, specifically sexual assault. It's not light subject matter at all. While it is handled with respect and nuance, it is going to be too much for a lot of viewers, even some who are okay with pretty explicit sex and violence.

Edited by DSC01

So I'm up to episode 6 and it is beginning to irritate me because

I don't get why she didn't just tell Luke the truth. Not at the last moment but as soon as he started to believe in Killgrave ( loving him btw. He is my favourite character so far. ). Telling him sooner would have shown true remorse and she could have used that to gain an ally against him. Seems very stupid in my mind.

Because her mind is pretty well beeep.  Seriously though,  she's got PTSD,  major anxiety,  major depression,  and a host of other problems because of what Kilgrave had already done.  She's barely functional especially in the beginning half of the series.  Towards the end she gets a little better,  a little more confident in her self,  but she's still a very damaged person.

Seen the first 5 episodes so far, and I'm loving it. Kilgrave is absolutely brilliant. Well he isn't brilliant, cause he is evil and all, but he is tremendous fun to watch. After I finish reading something for school I'll probably watch a bit more. Crossing my fingers for a Daredevil/Matt Murdock cameo or reference, but I don't know if it will happen since the show should focus on Jessica. Really looking forward to continuing it!     

Seen the first 5 episodes so far, and I'm loving it. Kilgrave is absolutely brilliant. Well he isn't brilliant, cause he is evil and all, but he is tremendous fun to watch. After I finish reading something for school I'll probably watch a bit more. Crossing my fingers for a Daredevil/Matt Murdock cameo or reference, but I don't know if it will happen since the show should focus on Jessica. Really looking forward to continuing it!     

Nothing too bad,  just answers this poster.

There is a cameo but it's not Matt Murdock,  it's a side character

So, this is actually the first show I legitimately binge watch on Netflix. Bit of a trivia. It's also one of the few shows I haven't seen any reviews, recaps, or commentaries for, so my reactions are... pure.

Spoiler-free:

Krysten Ritter did an amazing job at portraying a traumatized, a broken Jessica Jones. Seriously. Pretty much every time she interacted with, well, anyone else, one of the dominant thoughts in my head was "Wow, that's one broken person." Her fight scenes, on the other hand... I guess they were alright? A few of them were gloriously filled with destruction, and I often enjoy watching sets get demolished, but outside of those I rarely got the impression that Jessica was supernaturally - or, perhaps, extranaturally - strong. 

Luke Cage was... underwhelming, I think. I realize it's not his show, and he did a solid job being... well, solid, but 

I would've liked to see more character development from him. 

Trish deserved more. They gave her a lot, but she deserved even more. I loved virtually every scene with her (except for the ones with her boyfriend - those were horrid). Her relationship with Jessica was just great. I would've liked if they had shown a bit more of how they got to be such good friends, but I'll take it as is. On the other hand, Malcolm didn't work out for me. I think they gave him a role bigger than what his character could fulfil. 

And this, of course, leaves us with the wonderful human being that is David Tennant. I don't even know if my thoughts on Kilgrave are even remotely objective, that's how biased I am towards Tennant. But he did great. Not a raving lunatic, not obviously insane - just someone who commands and is obeyed, unquestionably. The reveal about how his powers work was also a nice touch, I like this kind of stuff in my shows. 

All in all, I would definitely rate Jessica Jones at least a "fun to watch." I don't know if it can go much higher than that, too many of its secondary characters didn't fully work out for me (the entire Hogarth, for example). It was also definitely dark - which doesn't usually bother me, but there was one scene in the AKA 1,000 Cuts episode (and another couple of scenes in the episodes after that) that made me a little uncomfortable. Which doesn't diminish the show's value, but it surprised me. 

All this being said, 7/10 or 8/10 is probably where I'd put it. More likely 7.

So, this is actually the first show I legitimately binge watch on Netflix. Bit of a trivia. It's also one of the few shows I haven't seen any reviews, recaps, or commentaries for, so my reactions are... pure.

Spoiler-free:

Krysten Ritter did an amazing job at portraying a traumatized, a broken Jessica Jones. Seriously. Pretty much every time she interacted with, well, anyone else, one of the dominant thoughts in my head was "Wow, that's one broken person." Her fight scenes, on the other hand... I guess they were alright? A few of them were gloriously filled with destruction, and I often enjoy watching sets get demolished, but outside of those I rarely got the impression that Jessica was supernaturally - or, perhaps, extranaturally - strong. 

Luke Cage was... underwhelming, I think. I realize it's not his show, and he did a solid job being... well, solid, but 

Trish deserved more. They gave her a lot, but she deserved even more. I loved virtually every scene with her (except for the ones with her boyfriend - those were horrid). Her relationship with Jessica was just great. I would've liked if they had shown a bit more of how they got to be such good friends, but I'll take it as is. On the other hand, Malcolm didn't work out for me. I think they gave him a role bigger than what his character could fulfil. 

And this, of course, leaves us with the wonderful human being that is David Tennant. I don't even know if my thoughts on Kilgrave are even remotely objective, that's how biased I am towards Tennant. But he did great. Not a raving lunatic, not obviously insane - just someone who commands and is obeyed, unquestionably. The reveal about how his powers work was also a nice touch, I like this kind of stuff in my shows. 

All in all, I would definitely rate Jessica Jones at least a "fun to watch." I don't know if it can go much higher than that, too many of its secondary characters didn't fully work out for me (the entire Hogarth, for example). It was also definitely dark - which doesn't usually bother me, but there was one scene in the AKA 1,000 Cuts episode (and another couple of scenes in the episodes after that) that made me a little uncomfortable. Which doesn't diminish the show's value, but it surprised me. 

Agree with pretty much all of this. With the addition that even though I don't watch Dr. Who and haven't seen Tennant in much else I still thought he was absolutely awesome.

Spoiler-free:

The fight scenes drove me nuts.  They were so badly done imo.  That was my only real dislike,  but I'm easy to please with tv shows.

So I just finished it. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I'll list out a few of my pros and cons. This will be spoiler free by the way.

Pros:

A great lead character. I really enjoyed Jessica as a character. She was different from the thoughtful, soft-spoken Matt Murdock, but this isn't a bad thing. She was broken. She was willing to do whatever it took to get to the man who ruined her life. She was rash, impulsive, and as Luke said, a mess of a woman, but she had a soft side at the same time (when it came to Trish).

Kilgrave. Oh my god I loved Kilgrave. If it wasn't for him, this show would not have been as good as it was. He was creepy and downright evil. In my opinion, he was a much more interesting and entertaining villain than Wilson Fisk was. Despite his somewhat laid-back mannerisms, he carried a sense of dread alongside him wherever he went. His powers were terrifying, and it showed. David Tennant killed it.

Episode Eight. Not going to describe exactly what went on in this episode, but it was by far my favorite. I'm not even sure why, it just did something for me. 

Cons:

The Side Characters. With the exception of Malcolm and Trish, I absolutely hated the side characters. The main target of my rage was Simpson. I couldn't stand Simpson. He was just... so dumb. Any scene with him was just awfulI hated the entire ordeal with Hogarth. I wasn't a huge fan of Hope or Clemmons either. I'll exclude Luke Cage since he has his own show and hasn't really had his chance to shine yet. Conversely, I really enjoyed Malcolm and Trish.

The Ending. Once again, not going to describe what happened, but it was not up to par with how good the other episodes were. 

The Fight Scenes. This has been discussed already, so I feel no need to go into detail with them. They were pretty bad.

Didn't feel connected to the rest of the MCU. I put this one last because it didn't affect the quality of the show. Now I'm not implying that I want a Nick Fury cameo, but some more references would be nice. I mean when they did make references, they said "The big green guy" or "The Flag-Waver." Are they afraid to say their names? Their city was just attacked by aliens, you'd think it would be a bigger deal. They didn't even reference what happened in the rest of Hell's Kitchen! The Man in the Mask was all over the newspapers, and not one mention of him? Wilson Fisk, a huge figurehead, never discussed. Yes, a side character did show up and make some vague references to Daredevil, but it doesn't feel like a connected universe when the events that took place a few blocks down the road are not even discussed.

Overall though, I did enjoy the show. The ending was a letdown, but the journey was a ton of fun. 7.5/10.    

I really hated how her powers were so inconsistent.  One scene she was getting smashed through brick walls and getting up with no problem, and the next a normal person was hurting her with their fists.  Also for a woman who is able to fly, not being able to jump across a hundred foot room without smashing into the floor is a huge let down.  Jessica's mental problems should not effect her to the point that random people can beat her up.  

I'm currently at episode 6 and my thought so far are quite the same as others. David Tennant is just brilliant! Now we know what we should expect if his Doctor turned evil... 

I also think that there is just too much unnecessary bed scenes. I'm not a prude or anything, the view of people having fun without clothes is fine with me, but at some point it seemed like the producers needed something to fill the episode with and didn't have any better ideas.

Just watched couple more episodes, and I'm getting a bit annoyed at Jessicas' actions and the worldbuilding. I'm still not done with the show, so my opinions may change, but for now...

1. Scene at the police station, where Killgrave controls at least 20 police officers. She could've killed him right then and there, having the whole station to testify about his powers. But she didn't. Why? Was she afraid they'd all kill themselves after he's dead? If so, she'd still have video footage from the surveillance cameras to back her up and the testimony of this old detective. Also, if the police station has a decent security system, and I guess they would, it's not that simple to just log in and erase the records, like Killgrave ordered one of the policeman to do. Those things would be recovered.

2. Killgrave controls people by a virus. I call chull-dung on viruses that turn people into zombies faster than couple of hours, so I have to call this explanation of his powers chull-dung too. If that really was a virus then:

a) it wouldn't work that fast, our brains are very well protected from infections by blood-brain barrier

B) it wouldn't work if you were standing upwind from Killgrave

c) it wouldn't work if you were standing more than 2 meters from him

d) it wouldn't work if you... Damnation, viruses are not magic! When will filmmaker understand it?!

3. Why didn't they try wearing earplugs to block his voice? They did figure out that it would be nice to gag him, but why not wear earphones with very loud music? :/

4. If that's a virus and its' effects wear off after about 12 hours, then Killgrave should be able to order people around by phone for some time after meeting them. After all, they would be still infected and would still recognize his voice and feel the need to do what he says.

To sum my whining up, I'd really prefer if they didn't explain his powers at all. Leave them as they are, just like they don't explain Thor's abilities to control lightning etc. Now, to me, it seems like the creators wanted to look smart by made fools of themselves :/

Edited by Mestiv

Finished the show yeasterday. I enjoyed it, whoever the intelligence of Jessica and co. left a lot to wish for :P

So they did came up with the idea of headphones with loud music in the last episode. It work, even despite Killgrave power boost. Why didn't they use them dozens of people dead earlier? With Jessicas' abilities, if she had headphones that were firmly attatched to her ears, she wouldn't have any problems with kidnapping Killgrave herself early on the show. There were also other occasions when their actions didn't have that much sense, but I guess I can accept it, as Jessica was suffering serious sleep deprivation for over half of the show :P

Tennant as Killgrave was amazing through every episode, without him, I don't know if I'll watch the next season since he won't be there.

• 3 weeks later...