WOR Secret Anagram - Hoid Gibberish

Natans

Well, the F sound, Y sound, L sound, and one of the G sounds could be glyph (glyf).  That would leave a K sound, G sound, A sound, I sound, and a D sound.  If it was Figglmygrak then it could me Magic Glyph or Glyph Magic, but it is a D sound not an M sound, so no.

So, K...G...A...I...D.

Well, the F sound, Y sound, L sound, and one of the G sounds could be glyph (glyf).  That would leave a K sound, G sound, A sound, I sound, and a D sound.  If it was Figglmygrak then it could me Magic Glyph or Glyph Magic, but it is a D sound not an M sound, so no.

So, K...G...A...I...D.

Friend Shardlet, I was thinking if maybe we could use part of the two words like "Shard something" or "blade something" to form 2 to 4 words, after all Hoid said that "words are often the sounds of other words, cut up and dismembered, then stitched into something like them"

I another thing Shardblade are a single word or composite, I can't remember ?

nonsense balderdash Figgldygrak is an anagram for seon gangs dry elf king shardblade. because that makes sense

LOL :lol: .

I another thing Shardblade are a single word or composite, I can't remember ?

Pretty sure that shardblade is a single word.  That doesn't mean they couldn't be separated.  And while at first glance, splitting it up would seem unlikely since balderdash is an anagram of shardblade in itself, it could have been intended that way as a clue for Dalinar.  Though Dalinar would not stand a chance of picking up on it unless he mentioned the conversation to Navani or Renarin who would then have made te connection.  Dalinar (and Adolin) is just to straightforward in his thinking.

I just ran every possible permutation of two or fewer words up against the english dictionary I had on hand, which is the 200,000+ words included with most linux distributions.

It took about 20 minutes and produced the following: draggily kgf

Since kgf is not a word in any english dialect as far as I am aware, we are going to need some non-english words. I wonder if it would be legal or ethical to try to extract the plain-text version of WoK from my nook version.

edit: The kindle version says it is DRM-free by publisher's request. Thanks Tor!

Edited by Maximus

I imagine for something like that - yes.

EDIT: Maximus, can you PasteBin a list of the form {set of English words} {remaining letters}? For all valid sets? An even better option would be to, instead of just printing the leftover letters, to print all possible permutations of those letters. So for the word "noxy", we can see something like

[no] xy

[no] yx

[on] xy

[on] yx

[ox] ny

[ox] yn

My hope is that we can skim through this stupidly long list and look for Cosmere names in the second column; name that wouldn't show up in the dictionary, but ones we'd recognize instantly.

EDIT 2: A more elegant solution would be to create a dictionary out of all of the words in TWoK (or even all Cosmere works?) and use that instead of the English dictionary. Or use it alongside the English one (in case the anagram ends up being composed of an English weird that doesn't appear in Brandon's works, and a name that appears only there).

Edited by Argent

I imagine for something like that - yes.

EDIT: Maximus, can you PasteBin a list of the form {set of English words} {remaining letters}? For all valid sets? An even better option would be to, instead of just printing the leftover letters, to print all possible permutations of those letters. So for the word "noxy", we can see something like

[no] xy

[no] yx

[on] xy

[on] yx

[ox] ny

[ox] yn

My hope is that we can skim through this stupidly long list and look for Cosmere names in the second column; name that wouldn't show up in the dictionary, but ones we'd recognize instantly.

EDIT 2: A more elegant solution would be to create a dictionary out of all of the words in TWoK (or even all Cosmere works?) and use that instead of the English dictionary. Or use it alongside the English one (in case the anagram ends up being composed of an English weird that doesn't appear in Brandon's works, and a name that appears only there).

The rub with such a tactic is that you are limiting your results to alphabetic anagrams and omitting phonetic anagrams.

At http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/ I ran gibberish and gibletish. 

It found 40 matches for "gibberish".

None seemed very good.  My favorites were: "bribe sigh" and "herb is big"

It found 99 matches for "gibletish".

It was slightly more interesting, but not that good: favorites are "Glib Heist" and "Glib Hes It"

At http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/ I ran gibberish and gibletish. 

It found 40 matches for "gibberish".

None seemed very good.  My favorites were: "bribe sigh" and "herb is big"

It found 99 matches for "gibletish".

It was slightly more interesting, but not that good: favorites are "Glib Heist" and "Glib Hes It"

Glib Heist... That sounds like an adept description of Hoid's role during the events of TES

Also, gibletish turned up "blighties" for me - and, while it may be a stretch, without the "b" that spells "lighties" which can also be read as "lighteyes"

And my personal favourite anagram of "gibletish" (please excuse profanity):

~ Le Big S**t ~

Edited by Swimmingly

This is what I had planned to do.

I think the root to success most likely to succeed is asking Brandon.

The longer, harder route would be for someone to write or find a program that can take all the words from an ebook version of way of kings or coppermind and compare them to Figgldygrak. Perhaps start by finding all words with three gs in them and then compare.

I think the root to success most likely to succeed is asking Brandon.

The longer, harder route would be for someone to write or find a program that can take all the words from an ebook version of way of kings or coppermind and compare them to Figgldygrak. Perhaps start by finding all words with three gs in them and then compare.

Someone know the holy ritual to summon Ookla the Mokovial  (Mr. Peter) "the Keeper of Brandon Knowledge" to give us some tips =)

In times like this I'm really impressed with Mr. Sanderson, WOR is already 3 years old and nobody found this little secret until now, I have to give the man credit for be too awesome  =)

Edited by Ookla the Puro