College Majors

leinton

Also, i need some advice from you computer sciency people, is it expected that when you go into university you already have a basic knowledge of programming? Cause I know a little bit (and I mean a really little bit), but should I take time off from writing to learn some computer sciency shtuff before graduating highschool?

I would say a background helps in terms of knowing if it is right for you, but first cs classes will go over all the basics of programming, so you don't need to know what objects and methods etc etc are before going.

If you want a good place to start that isn't super computer sciency, try making a webpage by hand (ie HTML). it is not real programming, but if you get comfy with html, then you can learn stuff like css and simple javascript which is an easy way to learn stuff like inheritance and relationships between objects at a slow pace.

I am a sophomore studying music composition/theory. I might get a second major in economics, although at the moment, I'm more inclined to take more music classes and only get an economics minor (and I can continue to read things about economics anyway). I don't have an exact plan of what to do with either, but I definitely want to continue composing (and economics is interesting and always good knowledge, whether or not it ever becomes part of a career).

If you want a good place to start that isn't super computer sciency, try making a webpage by hand (ie HTML). it is not real programming, but if you get comfy with html, then you can learn stuff like css and simple javascript which is an easy way to learn stuff like inheritance and relationships between objects at a slow pace.

This. I'm actually furthering my knowledge of CSS by skinning this site, and it's a lot more fun and stress-free - especially since only other admins can see when I make a mistake on the test skins ;) - than having to deal with the pressures of doing it for a grade or working on something I'm not even interested in.

indeed, learning for fun beats the hell out of anything else. I learnt myself PHP and SQL for when me and a few friends decided to make a web-game in highschool (6th form at secondary school :P) which ended up being awful, but it got me into programming, which got me a degree and a job in something I really enjoy, and more importantly can do well.

My first three semesters of college I went to ISU and was working on the computer software development technologies associates program. Then I decided to change schools and went to UAT and majored in computer sciences with an emphasis in game design. I did this for two semesters and did very poorly because I was dealing with a lot of bad life stuff. So I stopped going to school.

Now, I'm getting ready to move back to Idaho and go back to ISU and finish up the CSDT program I was in before.

My long term goal is to double doctorate. I want a PhD in computer sciences and an MD is brain and neurological sciences. Then hopefully work in the field of virtual reality focusing on full immersion VR.

EDIT:: I've also always wanted to minor in theology or biblical studies, even though I'm one of the least religious people out there. I can't help but love the parallelisms between almost every modern religion and ancient Egyptian religious worship of the stars.

Edited by Miyabi

My long term goal is to double doctorate. I want a PhD in computer sciences and an MD is brain and neurological sciences. Then hopefully work in the field of virtual reality focusing on full immersion VR.

That is plain AWESOME :D I hope you get to do those things

Reading you seems somewhat fun. It seems you have much more freedom to change your studies if you decide there's something you're more interested in, and also that you're not restricted to the particular subject you're studying when choosing which classes you want to attend to.

Things are much more restricted here XD. People don't usually change career past their first year at University and, in fact, the University bureaucracy itself would be quite unprepared for it. I have been struggling with it today (had to enter in a few courses before time was over), and I ended up printing the papers just for scanning them again and then sending them via e-mail. Madness @_@

About that... I'm in the School of Medicine, studying to become a doctor. Here, you study for six years before getting your title, and then spend another five in which you're already a professional, but are specializing. I'm still in my first six years, but enjoying it a lot :) And I might be some sort of black sheep, because I took a year off to study History, which focused mainly in Prehistoric times.

Edited by Alliare

Reading you seems somewhat fun. It seems you have much more freedom to change your studies if you decide there's something you're more interested in, and also that you're not restricted to the particular subject you're studying when choosing which classes you want to attend to.

Things are much more restricted here XD. People don't usually change career past their first year at University and, in fact, the University bureaucracy itself would be quite unprepared for it. I have been struggling with it today (had to enter in a few courses before time was over), and I ended up printing the papers just for scanning them again and then sending them via e-mail. Madness @_@

About that... I'm in the School of Medicine, studying to become a doctor. Here, you study for six years before getting your title, and then spend another five in which you're already a professional, but are specializing. I'm still in my first six years, but enjoying it a lot :) And I might be some sort of black sheep, because I took a year off to study History, which focused mainly in Prehistoric times.

indeed the American system is totally different compared to here in the UK too. We're also stuck on the same course pretty much as from when we apply, and our 'minor' courses only count in the first year.

Medicine is a crazy long course, lol. Though you do come out with a doctorate, so it's quite possibly shorter than many post-docs (see Piled Higher and Deeper for the extent of my knowledge of American post-grad education).

I'm realizing I haven't posted in here yet, and now I feel silly.

I'm a sophomore at Illinois State University studying Theatrical Design/Production - basically, my major is filled with people who build the things you see on stage (or on the big screen). Props, sets, lights, sound, costuming, I can and will do any of them. I've got a focus in Technical Direction, which basically means I'm learning how to gauge different materials' ability to hold weight, put sets together, and generally figure out how everything that everyone is working on fits together. I make draftings (fancy drawings with measurements, basically) and give them to a carpenter or prop-builder and they put it together out of whatever material I want.

Of course, in order to basically be everyone's boss I have to know (or be able to figure out) how to do everything. It's a lot of information, but I use it all nearly every day. So yeah, ask me how to build anything you see in a movie/game/theatre production, and I can probably figure it out. I'm actually thinking of making a Keyblade (from Kingdom Hearts) for a polystyrene carving project, but the Kingdom Key (basic Keyblade) got shot down by my instructor.

So yeah, that's me. I make stuff. A LOT of stuff. :)

Since my last post in this thread, I've kind of changed my mind as far as my major goes.

I'm planning on transferring to a 4-year school, probably either for next year or the summer semester after. So I won't be getting my Associate in Liberal Arts.

Also, I decided to do something more practical for my major--I definitely want to take some Creative Writing courses, but I plan on majoring in Early Childhood Education.

I don't actually plan on teaching as a career, although I'm not opposed to it; I just think it's a good degree to have and it would help if I ever run a daycare (something I'm considering), and even if I don't. :)

I don't actually plan on teaching as a career, although I'm not opposed to it; I just think it's a good degree to have and it would help if I ever run a daycare (something I'm considering), and even if I don't. :)

I'd say definitely get that degree if you want to run your own daycare. Some states actually require a degree before you can certify as a director (or even teach VPK), plus extra training through DCF as well.

• 3 years later...

Rising freshman here, majoring in creative writing. AND I'M SO EXCITED. =DDD Sanderson's work was a wonderful find since I like writing fantasy and thus far mainly had Tolkien to look up to. The Cosmere is a whole 'nother level, so it's a really good example--and a fantastic fandom as well. 

I graduated almost exactly 4 years ago (in a week and a half it'll be 4 years) with a BA in English, emphasis in Creative Writing and a minor in International Studies. I thoroughly enjoyed my classes, teachers, and a fair amount of the coursework. as well as my fellow students. I had some rather good times. :)

Going to graduate in a year with a double Bachelor's Degree: a BS in Physics with a professional emphasis, and a BA in Religious Studies.

My undergraduate research is in wormholes for Physics and the historiography of Mormonism and science for Religious Studies.

Eh, I think for threads like this, necromancy is fine. It's not as if much of the old topic is "outdated" by more recent additions.

I'm a rising senior linguistics major at Reed College in Portland Oregon and I love it

Not to pry, but that's pretty cool you're in Portland! I am coming back to Portland in early August and if you (or anyone else in the Portland area) want to hang out, that'd be fun!

I have a single deferred exam remaining to complete my Bachelor's degree. It's a bachelor of Computer Science with a minor in games dev (because there wasn't a major in games dev available for my course :( ).

It's been great, but honestly I'm quite happy to be finished and moving into the workforce (as an indie dev  :D ).

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

I have a single deferred exam remaining to complete my Bachelor's degree. It's a bachelor of Computer Science with a minor in games dev (because there wasn't a major in games dev available for my course :( ).

It's been great, but honestly I'm quite happy to be finished and moving into the workforce (as an indie dev  :D ).

Awesome, and sounds like fun! Programming is something I wish I could do more of at uni, but it's sorta hard 'cos while it's a fun hobby, it's not something I'd want to do as a job.

So, is studying Physics (with a bit of maths) with Teaching.

Edited by Haelbarde

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we don't have colleges in Poland, but I graduated University of Warsaw a couple years ago with Masters Degree in computer science and now I'm working as a programmer. Not sure how that translates to your college education :)

Edited by Mestiv